Author Topic: 300 MPG - On the market next year!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
300 MPG - On the market next year!!!!!!!!!
« on: December 23, 2007, 03:05:51 PM »
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4237853.html?series=19

Three hundred miles per gallon and a Jetsons-style look are enough to get anyone excited. But ever since the word got out on it last month, Aptera’s innovative Typ-1 three-wheeler has been the target of relentless theorizing and conjecture across the Web. Is it real? Does it have what it takes to be a practical vehicle for daily transport? Is it stable enough to drive? Does it even actually drive? Well we wondered some of those things, too, so we scouted out if a drivable prototype really exists.

It does.

This week we visited Aptera’s headquarters in Carlsbad, Calif., and became the very first outside of the company to hit the street in the Typ-1 e. And, as you can see from the video of our 20-mile test drive above, we’re impressed.

Aptera has two innovative models that are almost production-ready at $30,000 and below: for next year, the all-electric, 120-mile-range Typ-1 e that we drove; and, by 2009, the range-extended series gasoline Typ-1 h, which Aptera says will hit 300 mpg. A more conventional third model, called “Project X” or perhaps Typ-2, is now in the design phase, with plans for a four-wheeled chassis and seating up for to five passengers.

For now, though, the Typ-1 will certainly do. Check out a full gallery for the inside scoop on all the specs from the shop and the street …

« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 04:27:42 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
Re: 300 MPG - On the market next year!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 03:14:30 PM »

The real question is will the automobile industry really sell this. The Automobile Unions are controlled my the Democrats while the Republican establishment controls the the Oil Corporations. Are only hope for something like this to get popular is a President that has an independent mind like Huckabee. Because Hillary will make our addiction worse. Democrats are so in love with the environment they will sooner import more oil from the Arab Muslim Nazis then they will Drill domestically because it might harm Al Gore's global warming efforts. :(

You know what Democrats big deal our security is more important then you global warming myth
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 03:23:51 PM »
The car looks pretty cool... but it's a little to small!

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 03:39:48 PM »

The car looks quite interesting! If they could substantiate that the electrical usage boils down to the equivalent 300 miles to a gallon it would a great selling feature. If the battery range is as good as the say the car may be practical for certain applications. I have driven the Toyota Pyrus Hybrid on several occasions and its a car that takes a great deal of getting use to. The gas engine is constantly starting and stopping and the car is unsuspectingly quiet when in battery mode. The hybrid is really only at its best under very limited conditions such as stop and go traffic with the climate control in the off position. For real economy an all electric car such as the one in the article is the real answer. If America ever went to electrically powered cars in a big way we would then be facing the problem of generating the additional electrical power in a clean way using domestic sources of fuel.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 04:42:15 PM »
WOW! ONLY $500 to reserve it... Sign me up  O0

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 04:47:17 PM »
   Is it a real 300 MPG or does that 300 not take into account the electricity used in plugin mode.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

kellymaureen

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 05:11:03 PM »
Ill be happy when they make a bigger car that gets mileage like that, I really hate tiny cars, they just dont feel safe.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 05:12:18 PM »
I'm glad I read this because if I had seen one of these on the road without preparation I would have thought we were being invaded.  Just for safety's sake I better tell my grandparents about it too.
Depending how old your grandparents are the sight of a three wheeled car may not be so shocking. The Europeans had one in the late fifties or early 60's :) One of the sitcoms a few years back with a black kid in it featured the fact the nerdy kid drove one.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 05:22:29 PM »
   Is it a real 300 MPG or does that 300 not take into account the electricity used in plugin mode.

There are 2 versions - the electric and the hybrid. The electric just runs off electricity.. the "hybrid" runs off generators that power the battery, so you just have to run the generators to recharge the battery while you're driving. Generators don't need much fuel at all, hens 300 MPG :D

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 05:48:21 PM »
   When I had a motorcycle, it got 50MPG. This was an actual 50MPH and not one of those things that is advertised as 30 but only gets 22. My bike was carborated and probably would get another 10 actual if it was fuel injected. If somehow it was enclosed in a more aerodynamic body, it could probably get close to 100. Small cars provide less armor in the case of a collision, but what is most interesting is that most commuters on the road are single drivers without passengers.
   A solution that could probably be implemented in the near future if there was a will for it would be single person vehicles. For it to work, however, the price of each vehicle would have to be sold for $5000. Of course the automobile manufactures might lose out on the sale of some 20-30k cars so they would never permit such a thing from happening.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?