Author Topic: Anybody here do MMA ? is it a bit gay?  (Read 8481 times)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Anybody here do MMA ? is it a bit gay?
« on: December 24, 2007, 12:36:13 PM »
hi

MMA looks like a great thing to learn. But I am put off by the fact that in all the videos I see, the guys are on top of each other wearing very little clothing, like just a pair of underpants/shorts.  Bare leg wrapped around opponent`s neck, head in opponent`s chest. It just looks repulsive. Do they wear clothes, like T-shirts and trousers in any of these places?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Anybody here do MMA ? is it a bit gay?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 01:02:28 PM »
hi

MMA looks like a great thing to learn. But I am put off by the fact that in all the videos I see, the guys are on top of each other wearing very little clothing, like just a pair of underpants/shorts.  Bare leg wrapped around opponent`s neck, head in opponent`s chest. It just looks repulsive. Do they wear clothes, like T-shirts and trousers in any of these places?

Depends, I think while training they wear a shirt.

But how I see it, who cares if it looks gay, if it's effective then it works. MMA is really a sport more than anything. I will be learning Krav Maga for street survival.

Joe Schmo

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 01:15:50 PM »
hi

I did MMA for ten years and I have to say that you're correct for the most part.  Members of our club always wore a T-shirt and pants at the very least.  

I wore a heavy Judo gi for two reasons:

1) To shield my body during takedowns.

2) To protect myself from the other guy's sweat.

Wearing a gi has its disadvantages.  It can be used against the person to choke them out.

At our club, we made jokes about the gayness of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, the guard in particular.  We used many Brazilian Jiu-jitsu techniques, but considered ourselves wrestlers more than anything.  

MMA isn't gay, but BJJ might be.  

Still, BJJ should be taught to ALL Women (at least the guard).  A Woman who's good at the guard is nearly rape-proof.  

Women have easily enough strength to choke out a rapist using their legs.  They should all learn how to do this.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 01:17:51 PM by Scriabin »

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 01:58:29 PM »
I constantly hear on StørmFrønt that many of the members train in BJJ, is there a specific reason for this? Is it considered an effective martial arts?

Joe Schmo

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 02:18:04 PM »
I constantly hear on StørmFrønt that many of the members train in BJJ, is there a specific reason for this? Is it considered an effective martial arts?

They train in BJJ because it's popular.

Effective?  That depends.

If you're fighting a single opponent on the beaches of Rio De Janeiro or on a carpeted floor, it can be effective.  If, however you are fighting in Manhattan, its better to stay on your feet.

Against a good striker, BJJ is risky.  Against multiple opponents, its suicidal.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 01:13:11 PM »

BJJ is popular, in that lots of people have heard of it, and thus no doubt tried it. Because the guy that started the UFC - Royce Gracie (Royce is pronounced Hoyce), used BJJ to win the first bunch of them. Eventually all competitors learnt it, and since used jiu jitsu amongst their skills, to beat him.  It began like Karate Vs Judo. Now it is MMA. They are good at  fighting standing up - [kick]boxing , and on the ground - jiu jitsu, and ground and pound!.  Everybody should know what UFC is all about!!  Matt Hughes and Fedor  are awesome.  Don Frye.  These are names worth putting into youtube or google video. (I think youtube was taking many off though for copyright reasons, and now many are stupid music videos).

BJJ has proven itself effective. From UFC.  But that may largely be the effectiveness of jiu jitsu.
According to the founder of BJJ, Helio Gracie, he designed it `cos he was both small and weak and he adapted/improved many techniques from traditional jiu jitsu, to use leverage more.
marc laimon, a jiu jitsu expert, beat a gracie , and thinks their technique is poor. Another guy - Sakuraba -  that beat them is a jiut jitsu or wrestling expert.

Thanks scriabin, I may look into jiu jitsu, avoiding bjj clubs!  I am not sure about MMA clubs, i would have to email them to make sure!! Alot of videos i see, even plain jiu jitsu, are a bit odd.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 02:22:22 AM »
Brock Lesnar from the WWF/WWE ended up making his Debut for UFC. I've been watching him carefully, looks like he got his ass handed to him.

Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir UFC 81 Breaking Point

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 04:39:19 AM »
great video.. Lesnar is a powerhouse, he was destroying him until that ankle lock. Interesting, since physically they do not look that mismatched.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 01:25:08 PM »
great video.. Lesnar is a powerhouse, he was destroying him until that ankle lock. Interesting, since physically they do not look that mismatched.

It doesn't look like he did much damage except the illegal punches to the head and when he punched Frank Mir and he fell to the ground.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 01:45:52 PM »

It doesn't look like he did much damage except the illegal punches to the head and when he punched Frank Mir and he fell to the ground.

There were many punches to the head.. one was illegal.

Having watched many matches, punches to the head or face do alot. Referees often stop it - if the other guy cannot escape.. Sometimes the other person can do nothing but try to cover his head, and the referee stops it. Sometimes the guy gets knocked out from it.. Or gets a broken nose or worse - a fractured eye socket. Even those weird looking short range punches can do alot!

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 03:43:36 PM »
Check this out.  T. Abbot vs. A. Gorilla:

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 04:41:36 PM »

Interesting fight, that Kimbo Slice has lost before though ;)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 08:43:59 PM »
wow.. thanks for the kimbo vs tank fight..

I heard that tank had said he gets a "rise"(yes, the rude sort), when he knocks out his opponents.  He is well known for his hard punches.  Clearly his punches are nothing on Kimbo.

But Kimbo could not knock doughnuts/gannon off his feet.. Maybe Kimbo post training with Bas Rutten is a harder puncher too..  He did temporarily change the shape of Gannon`s head though!  I am suprised he knocked out Tank like that

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 08:54:33 PM »
wow.. thanks for the kimbo vs tank fight..

I heard that tank had said he gets a "rise"(yes, the rude sort), when he knocks out his opponents.  He is well known for his hard punches.  Clearly his punches are nothing on Kimbo.

But Kimbo could not knock doughnuts/gannon off his feet.. Maybe Kimbo post training with Bas Rutten is a harder puncher too..  He did temporarily change the shape of Gannon`s head though!  I am suprised he knocked out Tank like that

Tank was defeated before the fight had even begun.  Look at his eyes when they 'touch gloves'.

Offline KansasJew

• Senior JTFer
  • JTF Logo I made
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 09:51:21 PM »
MMA combined with a kicking art and then combine it with American Kenpo = One bad hombre.
Remember there has to be strong silent men on the walls at night to protect the people. Be Strong but not aggressive. Be Peaceful but not weak. Defend the Jewish People at all cost.

Offline mmauguard

• New JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 06:28:32 AM »
Yes I train MMA but in a real combat matter NOT a sport. Finish your opponent quickly giving him no chance. Yes in TV it looks extremely gay.Two almost naked men with ripped boddies holding each other like lovers.
What a stupid and disgracefull publicity to Martial Arts. I wear black sweats,black shirt and a mouth piece with MMA gloves while sparring. I will never wear tights to fight anybody,proffessional or not.
Good point there.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 07:54:16 AM »
though when i see videos of MMA training (for combat of course), it is also 2 guys just wearing a pair of tight shorts or underpants, on the ground. A bare leg over a face or wrapped around a neck, or legs clinging around a body.

I notice you didn't mention that you wear trousers. But even without that. I guess it is nowhere near as bad if you are both wearing shirts.

if you know of any clubs that wear *shirts, and preferably trousers, then they may be worth mentioning!

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 01:31:23 PM »
Do you consider collegeate wrestling gay with their singlets?

I train in BJJ; we use a judo/jujitsu gi which is a heavy long sleave top with a cloth long pant bottom. Generally people wear a rash guard underneath their top in our school. However, I must say that I never considered any of the MMA fighters to be gay. Take a look at the women in the stands next time; they don't seem to either.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 05:07:26 PM »

Scriabin do you know that a fake wrestler Goldberg had a real fight with Abbot yrs ago it was not on wrestling it happened in a hotel parking lot.They really hated each other i heard from someone who saw it Abbot got the sh.t beat out of him
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »

Hilarious goldberg comment to kimbo "I love you like a brother, from another mother"

http://www.mmatko.com/kimbo-trains-with-bill-goldberg-showtime-video/

Goldberg has to be the most exciting wrestler, more of a buzz to watch than hogan and warrior were. Unbelievable.  Yes, he did wrestling sports entertainment, but saying "fake wrestler goldberg" does not do him justice. 

Offline Scriabin

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 08:50:14 PM »

Scriabin do you know that a fake wrestler Goldberg had a real fight with Abbot yrs ago it was not on wrestling it happened in a hotel parking lot.They really hated each other i heard from someone who saw it Abbot got the sh.t beat out of him

Abbot deserves it.  He's a punk and he's too old.

Offline mmauguard

• New JTFer
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 01:31:39 AM »
I was fascinated with the Jewish Martial Arts Krag Maga(please excuse my bad spelling),you may purchase the video in the History Channel website and I'm thinking of purchasing it.These guys are NO JOKE!!! They make MMA look like a beginners course in Karate.These guys have ball of steel,true warriors just like King David back in the days.Wow you guys amaze me!!! The people of God(the Jewish people)have been fighting ever since God gave them their land.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 06:24:55 AM »

Hilarious goldberg comment to kimbo "I love you like a brother, from another mother"

http://www.mmatko.com/kimbo-trains-with-bill-goldberg-showtime-video/

Goldberg has to be the most exciting wrestler, more of a buzz to watch than hogan and warrior were. Unbelievable.  Yes, he did wrestling sports entertainment, but saying "fake wrestler goldberg" does not do him justice. 

Goldberg in that video must have lost 40 pds
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mmauguard

• New JTFer
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 07:47:08 AM »
WoW!!!! Goldberg is in MMA. Who's next Kurt Angle?  :o