Author Topic: Australian Blue and Red Heelers  (Read 3858 times)

Kiwi

Australian Blue and Red Heelers
« on: December 25, 2007, 06:47:06 PM »

newman

Re: Australian Blue and Red Heelers
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 06:53:36 PM »
Best dogs ever bread for cattle. They're too manic for horses, though.  Crossing them with border collies makes a great all-round dog to use with sheep AND cattle.

Forget these dogs if you don't have acreage. They can litterally run all day without tiring. They need lots of exercise/work. A very loyal and fearless companion.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 07:31:59 PM »
Interesting looking dogs.  :)
Beautiful.
Are they good family dogs or are they best just as work dogs?

We had a Border Collie when I was in my teens.
He was the best dog.
Smart and a great companion.
He could catch a frisbee mid air.
He would herd small animals and children if he has the chance.  ;)
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

newman

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 08:16:02 PM »
Interesting looking dogs.  :)
Beautiful.
Are they good family dogs or are they best just as work dogs?

A great family dog if you've a big yard and an active lifestyle. a bit boistrous for really small kids maybe.

A border collie/blue heeler X is a great dog for small kids as the border collie (like most sheep dogs) has a gentler, nurturing instinct.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 08:55:03 PM »
Our Border Collie was extremely gentle.
Super smart.
An all around great dog.
We did have a big yard for him to run free in.

Kiwi

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 08:59:14 PM »
Heelers are created by the mix of Dingo, Kelpie and Dalmatian.

The are hardy working dogs, but in the later years have become compainion dogs to the elderly. They will proform to the peak in a one on one relationship.

If kept as a pet must be within the home at all times. These dogs are not to be left unattended.

Modern roles as trade mens dogs have suited this rough and tumble breed.

The number one trait of a Heeler is loyalty.

They are working dogs and must be worked.

newman

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 09:09:28 PM »
My grandparents' blue heeler Dusty was the perfect dog. She could work on the farm all day but was never manic or hyper-active. She was safe as houses around small kids but would bale up any intruder. Not a single bad habit.

She saved my life when I was about 7 or 8. She always walked at my heel but one day she rushed ahead of me into a clump of grass I always walked through on my way to the piggery. She pulled out 4 feet of red-belly blacksnake and killed it. She knew it was there from 50 feet away. I would surely have stepped on it and been bitten and at that age, that far from the house would have died.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 09:11:33 PM »

The are hardy working dogs, but in the later years have become compainion dogs to the elderly. They will proform to the peak in a one on one relationship.

If kept as a pet must be within the home at all times. These dogs are not to be left unattended.

Why must they not be left unattended?

When we moved - our new home had a large but unfenced in yard.  Our Border Collie could not be as active as before.  I think the inactivity was part of the reason that he became ill and we had to put him to sleep.  It was heartbreaking.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 09:13:01 PM »
My grandparents' blue heeler Dusty was the perfect dog. She could work on the farm all day but was never manic or hyper-active. She was safe as houses around small kids but would bale up any intruder. Not a single bad habit.

She saved my life when I was about 7 or 8. She always walked at my heel but one day she rushed ahead of me into a clump of grass I always walked through on my way to the piggery. She pulled out 4 feet of red-belly blacksnake and killed it. She knew it was there from 50 feet away. I would surely have stepped on it and been bitten and at that age, that far from the house would have died.
That's a great story.   

newman

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 09:18:49 PM »

That's a great story.   

I wish I had a pic to post. She had none of the brown tinges. Just the black & white mottling and the black 'eye patch'.

Should you get 2 or 3 acres or a hobby farm I can think of no better dog.

Kiwi

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 09:39:58 PM »

When we moved - our new home had a large but unfenced in yard.  Our Border Collie could not be as active as before.  I think the inactivity was part of the reason that he became ill and we had to put him to sleep.  It was heartbreaking.

Because they are working dogs, they need to be working, guarding or herding. Having a dog breed solely to work confined to a backyard, they develop behaviour problems, these dogs are crossed with dingos (wild dogs) they are pack animals.

They can and will turn aggressive if not handled by a person that understands the need of the animal.

I am mostly against average person owning working dogs, because they are not a toy.

The farming area is where they are best suited, running the sheep.

Border collies have been so inbreed most of the nature abilities of these dogs are gone.

Heelers are still true to their breed and nature.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 10:48:33 PM »

When we moved - our new home had a large but unfenced in yard.  Our Border Collie could not be as active as before.  I think the inactivity was part of the reason that he became ill and we had to put him to sleep.  It was heartbreaking.

Because they are working dogs, they need to be working, guarding or herding. Having a dog breed solely to work confined to a backyard, they develop behaviour problems, these dogs are crossed with dingos (wild dogs) they are pack animals.

They can and will turn aggressive if not handled by a person that understands the need of the animal.

I am mostly against average person owning working dogs, because they are not a toy.

The farming area is where they are best suited, running the sheep.

Border collies have been so inbreed most of the nature abilities of these dogs are gone.

Heelers are still true to their breed and nature.
Very interesting.

Inbred or not our Border Collie was a lovely dog.  ;)  
Super Intelligent.  Easy to train. Beautiful. Gentle with all animals and humans.
I still miss him.  :'(  The breeder was actually going to put him down - for whatever reason.  So my Father brought him home to my Mom.  We had just lost a dog we had for many years.  So we saved his life and he brought great joy to ours.

Kiwi

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 11:44:20 PM »
Inbred in the dog breeders world, is the dogs are breed sister to father, they are looking for looks of the dog, not its working ability.

There are two types of dogs, show dogs and workers.

This is the basic breeding code all over the world.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 06:49:00 AM »
Inbred in the dog breeders world, is the dogs are breed sister to father, they are looking for looks of the dog, not its working ability.

There are two types of dogs, show dogs and workers.

This is the basic breeding code all over the world.

I understand.

I don't paticularly care for dog breeds and dog breeders.  >:(
So many dogs without homes...waiting to be adopted.  :'(

All the same - our Border Collie was the best.  He was smart as a whip.  
If I had the right circumstances - I would adopt another one.
http://www.glenhighlandfarm.com/ghf_home.htm
This is the site I often checked before we welcomed Beethoven home.
Check out the dogs available for adoption.  They are just beautiful.

Kiwi

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 07:12:47 AM »
I agree adopt a dog and save a life.  O0