Author Topic: Is this place Kosher?  (Read 10121 times)

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
Is this place Kosher?
« on: December 30, 2007, 10:31:15 PM »
   The business card says Kosher Chinese Cuisine, but the second avenue also calls itself kosher. If this place is kosher, it is an example of how other kosher restaurants should run their business. The staff is professional, the food is good and the restaurant does not jack up the prices and cheat the customer because they think they have a monopoly. It is competitive enough with other area businesses that non Jewish people from off of the street can come in and order a meal without feeling ripped off. Assuming that this place is really kosher, we need more of them.   

http://www.chinatownvegetarian.com
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Yisrael

• Master JTFer
  • Oy!
Re: Is this place Kosher?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:48:08 PM »
I sent them an e-mail. Let's see if they get back. I asked them who certifies them Kosher.

"Secular Zionism is racism. Religious Zionism is Judaism."
No one who votes for Obama cares that he is a crack addict or a fag. That's the scariest thing about him. --- Bonecrkr

"When I take action, I’m not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It’s going to be decisive."
- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States of America

Offline Yisrael

• Master JTFer
  • Oy!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 11:00:19 PM »
Did you eat there yet?

Did you notice any Orthodox Jews there?

No one who votes for Obama cares that he is a crack addict or a fag. That's the scariest thing about him. --- Bonecrkr

"When I take action, I’m not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It’s going to be decisive."

Joe Schmo

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:01:51 PM »
They have a 'kosher menu'.

Obvioulsly the pork isn't kosher.

Offline Yisrael

• Master JTFer
  • Oy!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:02:45 PM »
Based on this picture it seems Orthodox Jews frequent the place. Perhaps it really is kosher, though I am waiting for their email reply.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 11:15:03 PM »
They have a 'kosher menu'.

Obvioulsly the pork isn't kosher.

They don't serve pork. The Pork, Shrimp and Lobster that appear on the menu are all imitations. This place is 100% vegetarian.

Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 09:58:18 AM »
If it is open on Shabbat then it's definately not kosher...

If it is actually closed on Shabbat and everythign is vegetarian, then most likely it is kosher...

there are a couple of Indian/Vegetarian kosher restaurants closed on Shabbat in Lexington Ave and the 20's area...good stuff...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Yisrael

• Master JTFer
  • Oy!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 10:09:59 AM »

That's not true.

The restaurant can be owned by a gentile and be open on Shabbat. The food is Kosher based on its ingredients and the way it's prepared. That's all that counts.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 10:25:38 AM »

That's not true.

The restaurant can be owned by a gentile and be open on Shabbat. The food is Kosher based on its ingredients and the way it's prepared. That's all that counts.

But technically it is a Jewish business and gentiles are not supposed run a Jewish business on Shabbat unless it is directly transferred to the gentile and he/she keeps all of the money that day.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Yisrael

• Master JTFer
  • Oy!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 10:26:29 AM »
And who said they don't do just that?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 10:31:07 AM »
And who said they don't do just that?

I have no clue..it woudl have to be written in the contract that whatever business takes place on shabbat belongs to the non-Jew...the question is that if this business is really being transferred, how can a rabbi oversee that the kashrut rules are continuing to take place (for example, the broccoli being washed adn clean properly etc etc) when it is shabbat and one must not work that day?  Is there an Eruv in this area?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 10:53:39 AM »
I think it is they had one off main street in kew gardens it still might be there ,although i have'nt been there in a while
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 11:28:55 AM »
   There are two Dunkin' Donuts in Baltimore that are Kosher. Rumor has it they are starting a Kosher Subway. These places are run by non-jews but have a sink for berkat hamazone and a sign that states which rabbi supervises it. They are owned by non-jews and open on Saturday, however, most(but not all) of the religious community accepts them as Kosher.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 12:51:27 PM »
There is an unwriten rule that says that Jews have to eat Chinese food for Christmas.

Offline TorahZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 01:36:01 PM »
A kosher restaurant can NOT be open on Shabbat as the mashgiach (supervisor) has to be a Shabbat-observant Jew.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 01:36:59 PM »
   There are two Dunkin' Donuts in Baltimore that are Kosher. Rumor has it they are starting a Kosher Subway. These places are run by non-jews but have a sink for berkat hamazone and a sign that states which rabbi supervises it. They are owned by non-jews and open on Saturday, however, most(but not all) of the religious community accepts them as Kosher.

But who watches to make sure that nothing unkosher is taking place on Shabbat?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 01:38:19 PM »
A kosher restaurant can NOT be open on Shabbat as the mashgiach (supervisor) has to be a Shabbat-observant Jew.

thank you! 

Now from someone like me who is less observant, if i wanted to take someone to an authetically kosher restaurant, it woudl have to be some place that was not opened on Shabbat.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 02:36:26 PM »
   Where are the qualifications for the mashgiach defined? The two Dunkin' Donuts places in Baltimore are accepted by most of the orthodox community as Kosher.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 02:49:07 PM »
NOT true.  If the owner is Gentile some Hashkachot allow it to be open on Sabbath.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 02:51:20 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 03:25:09 PM »
NOT true.  If the owner is Gentile some Hashkachot allow it to be open on Sabbath.

i don't know, but if i were looking for an authentic kosher restaurant, I woudl hope that the restaurant were closed on Shabbat even if owned by a gentile..and if owned by a gentile, the rabbi should be there..and if the rabbi can't be there on Shabbat when the restaurant is open, I will be questioning its authenticity.  Quite frankly, if one wants to build a fence, this is a good one to build it on in my opinion.

Offline TorahZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 03:43:53 PM »

Well none of the Hashkachot I follow do.

Maybe such places can be open if the food is prepared during the week, no meat is served and the kitchen is locked on Shabbat.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 03:46:44 PM »
The only ones I saw like that were in restaurants that don't serve meat and the Rabbi isn't there always but comes once in a while to check it out so the owners assume he could come randomly at any time and don't play games. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 03:51:39 PM »
The only ones I saw like that were in restaurants that don't serve meat and the Rabbi isn't there always but comes once in a while to check it out so the owners assume he could come randomly at any time and don't play games. 

but if they know the observance of shabat they can bet their bottom dollar that most likely he won't show up even in teh vegetarian restaurant...one must clean the vegetables properly.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 03:56:54 PM »
Well, theoretically he can show up on Sabbath and step into the kitchen to simply observe that they are not fooling around so they fear that he may do this. 

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 04:09:57 PM »
Well, theoretically he can show up on Sabbath and step into the kitchen to simply observe that they are not fooling around so they fear that he may do this. 

Is this permissable Shabbat?  Since it is his actual job to do this?