Author Topic: Denmark : Queen Margrete II’s New Year Speech  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
Denmark : Queen Margrete II’s New Year Speech
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:38:18 PM »
Queen Margrete II’s New Year Speech
December 31st, 2007 - 19:13:40 by Zonka
http://beta.kimcm.dk/index.php/2007/12/31/queen-margrete-iis-new-year-speech/
The Queen’s New Year Speech 2007
Published 2007.12.31 - 18:11, Jyllands-Posten, Translation: Zonka.
New Years Eve is one of the strangest highlight of the year. Tomorrow is yet another day; the Sun will rise at the late hour as is customary for the season, and the weather will hardly be different, than what the lastest weather forecast tells us.

Yet we look forward to this evening as something special, whether we are gathered with good friends or perhaps prefer to celebrate it in quiet thought. Because this evening is special; tomorrow we suddenly find ourselves in a new year: year 2008; tonight we will say goodbye to the year of 2007.

Here in Denmark many of us experience in these years, times with increased wealth, with optimism and with safety. We believe that we have become good at forming our society, such that everybody are able to get the essential, at least when it comes to material goods.

We are very keen on trying to achieve the perfect, the frictionless and comfortable life. The country must be lovely [reference to national anthem] – but if must not smell. The city must be full of life – but it must not be noisy. All our wishes should come true – but without costing anything. We prefer our lives to be filled with challenges; but they shouldn’t be too demanding or have uncalculable consequences.

particularly the young families are run hard. They are smokingly busy, they have high ambitions, they set high goals for themselves, and many also see them come true, perhaps to a higher degree than their parents and grand-parents could ever dream of. But for some young it is different, they may never get as far as to set themselves any goals, they are outside before they even get started.

We have a responsibility for each other, that is one of the principles that our society is built on. Maybe we understood that better, when there were less to share; now it is so easy to think, that somebody else can take care of the problems, as long as we ourselves get on with our lives. Then we are chocked, when we hear about children or older people, who aren’t thriving or about young people who have no place in life. “Who have failed?”, we ask offended, and looks around, when it is ourselves. We must, also in the modern and fast society, care about others. We becomes poorer if we forget that. And humane poverty shouldn’t be the price for material wealth.

The wealthy society, that we belong to, with its many advantages and the inbuilt care also for the weaker, attracts people, who comes from other places in the world, who nourishes the same hope as we do: A good and active life with family and friends, with happiness both in the near and in the community. It isn’t easy for anybody to change their way of life, as it must happen, when one settles in a new country. And it cannot be completely avoided, that some looks disapproving at the stranger, who gave other fashions, other types of clothing, and who doesn’t yet master the language. But it is necessary, that one has an open mind and a will to find their place in society. At the same way it is important, that the society, who have received the newcomers, are ready to help and support and explain, which demands they are required to follow and which rules applies. They need us and we need them. This New Years Eve, I would like to send a greeting to the many who in the last generation have settles in Denmark. I wish for them all, that every new year, they experience here among us, despite all the troubles, may bring them further, so that they can see themselves and their decendents as a part of the Danish society.

Denmark isn’t a great country, we do not have high mountains and deep valleys or mighty plains or endless forrest. But we have our landscape, that we care about. Almost always do we have a view to a fjord or the sea, everywhere there are traces of our ancestors lives. Although it never takes long before the soft hills are replaced by buildings spreading out from the old cities at the sea or the railway junctions inside the country.

As much as we enjoy the bridge that melts into the landscape or the successful transformation of an old square in the city, we get equally dismayed when a new building suddenly steals our view, or when a row of houses are being blemished by an unsensitive facade-renewal. The huge development we have witnessed in the later years, fills us with contradicting emotions. It is sad to see much of the old disappear, but never the less we are rightfully proud of the enterprise that the new bears witness to.

But no, we cannot turn back the clock. We cannot sit for days in Nyborg or Korsør and wait for favorable wind conditions to cross Storebælt, or wait until there is water enough in the stream, so that the watermill can grind our grain. We belong to a modern and dynamic society, and we are many. We each want to develop all our abilities and we want that our children and grand children can live on in a society that still offers possibilities and challenges.

In these years it becomes increasingly clear to us that all our pursuits of development also have physical consequences, for the environment: The air that we breathe, the water that we drink, the soil and the seas, from where we get our food. Because we know, that everything is linked to the climatic conditions, that we live under. ANd now the climate apparently seems to be affected in earnest by our activities, not just locally but globally.

If our descendants are to experience the liberating joy of walking in nature, enjoy the view from a hill top or lie in the grass to see the clouds sail in the wind, then we must all take responsibility to give what was entrusted to us, on to the next generations.

Tonight my thoughts go to the Danish soldiers, who are serving under foreign skies and under difficult conditions work to create peace and stability and a better life for the local population, in countries far from Denmark. Special thoughts goes to those under very demanding conditions in Afghanistan. They have in the latest months suffered sad losses, but I know that they still hold their heads high and stand together. We at home can hardly imagine what they have to go through, but we can be proud of their doings and we should let them know that we think of them. To all in the Danish military I send my New Years greeting and my thanks for the year that went. My deepest compassion for the families, who now sits with the grief and the loss of a loved one, who have given their life in Afghanistan or Iraq; they too are in my thoughts.

There are many, who this year have to spend New Years Eve far away from Denmark and their loved ones. Whether they are sent to some of the World’s – way too many – focal points or they have assignments to take care of outside of Denmark or on the seas, I send them my good New Years wishes. I also send my greetings to the Danes south of the border, with a wish for a happy new year.

When the darkness of the winter comes and the wind blows over the roofs, my thoughs often strays north to the Faroe Islands and Greenland. There Christmas and New Years are rightfully the celebrations of lights. However, not the Sun have turned and we slowly march towards more light. May the new year bring all good things to the people of the Faroe islands and Greenland.

To make sure that we can all walk around safely and sleep calmly, it is necessary that there are some who watches and are ready to deliver an effort, if an accident happens anyway. I’m thinking of the Civil Defense, the Police and those that works at the hospitals. I wish each and every of them a happy new year, and thanks for what they contribute with daily and in critical conditions.

Every year the review have its own face. This year the Prince Consort and I have had the great joy that our family have been increased with another little grandchild, when the Crownprince-couple had their daughter Isabella. It has warmed us to feel how everybody shared our joy, as we have felt the warm interest in Prince Joachim and his fiance Marie Cavallier. That so many take part in everything, that takes place in our family and rejoices with us, gladdens us, touches of deeply and fills us with gratitude. It is a source of daily inspiration, and an obligation to always give our very best. So we all feel young and old.

On the last night of the year, it is my wish that the new year may be a good one for Denmark and for all of us. May also those who are ill or filled with worries of heavy thoghts, find a shed of light, that can lead them on: A loving hand, a kind look, that can show them that they are not forgotten.

Then we will all wish each other a happy New Year and with confidence meet and greet the new year 2008 welcome.

Happy New Year.

GOD BLESS DENMARK
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.