Author Topic: Should I move to Israel? Am I even eligible?  (Read 9960 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Should I move to Israel? Am I even eligible?
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2008, 10:53:45 PM »
You guys, let's give Khazan the benefit of the doubt for now.  And that means educating him, and answering his questions. 

So Khazan, as the others have said the Talmud is not just commentary written by some rabbis hundreds of years after Moses received the Torah.  The Talmud is our Oral Law.  When Moses was receiving the Torah from G-d, he was also given the Oral Law.  The Oral Law tells us how to follow the written laws in our Torah.  For example, Jews must keep kosher, part of which includes slaughtering the animal in the most humane way possible.  But nowhere in the Torah does it say exactly how to slaughter animals.  However, the Talmud incudes the exact instructions on the type of knife, called a "shechita" and how it's to be shaped. 

Another example is wedding ceremonies.  The Torah does not give instructions on how to conduct a wedding ceremony.  The instructions are found in the Talmud.  The same holds true when it comes to instructions given to Jews to pray five times a day, and regarding the Sabbath candles. 

Now getting back to the Talmud history.  It was given to Moses orally.  However, during the Babylonian exile, the rabbis started to write it down for future generations, as they were in exile. 

Regarding your question about whether Judaism is determined through matrilinear or patrilinear descent, Chaim has addressed this on a past Ask JTF show.  And I think I understand where you're coming from.  Dr. Dan correctly brings up the fact that Jewish women were often raped in the past, and their children became Jews.  Consider this as well.  It was easier to prove who the mother was of a child, than a father.  Now we have DNA testing but that's a whole different issue. 

Chaim said in response to the person who asked the same question as you, that we have our customs, and we should not let Nazis dictate or change them. 

Mills, do you have the link to the speech Rabbi Tovia Singer gave about the Talmud, that you posted yesterday?  I think Khazan would benefit from listening to it. 

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2008, 11:05:44 PM »
You guys, let's give Khazan the benefit of the doubt for now.  And that means educating him, and answering his questions. 

So Khazan, as the others have said the Talmud is not just commentary written by some rabbis hundreds of years after Moses received the Torah.  The Talmud is our Oral Law.  When Moses was receiving the Torah from G-d, he was also given the Oral Law.  The Oral Law tells us how to follow the written laws in our Torah.  For example, Jews must keep kosher, part of which includes slaughtering the animal in the most humane way possible.  But nowhere in the Torah does it say exactly how to slaughter animals.  However, the Talmud incudes the exact instructions on the type of knife, called a "shechita" and how it's to be shaped. 

Another example is wedding ceremonies.  The Torah does not give instructions on how to conduct a wedding ceremony.  The instructions are found in the Talmud.  The same holds true when it comes to instructions given to Jews to pray five times a day, and regarding the Sabbath candles. 

Now getting back to the Talmud history.  It was given to Moses orally.  However, during the Babylonian exile, the rabbis started to write it down for future generations, as they were in exile. 

Regarding your question about whether Judaism is determined through matrilinear or patrilinear descent, Chaim has addressed this on a past Ask JTF show.  And I think I understand where you're coming from.  Dr. Dan correctly brings up the fact that Jewish women were often raped in the past, and their children became Jews.  Consider this as well.  It was easier to prove who the mother was of a child, than a father.  Now we have DNA testing but that's a whole different issue. 

Chaim said in response to the person who asked the same question as you, that we have our customs, and we should not let Nazis dictate or change them. 

Mills, do you have the link to the speech Rabbi Tovia Singer gave about the Talmud, that you posted yesterday?  I think Khazan would benefit from listening to it. 

Sorry for the unfriendly welcome , Khazan , I apologise.
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline Nolandforshalom

• Senior JTFer
    • The Jewish Store
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2008, 11:40:08 PM »
If you want to return to being a Jew, you will have to have a real conversion, meaning to be religiously observant according to Halacha.

Unless his moms bloodline is Jewish..you cant become "UnJewish"
http://www.thejewishstore.net
The Place for all your Kahanist, Jewish, and Zionist Shopping Needs!

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2008, 11:45:54 PM »
It's alright Ambiorix, I could have used better rhetoric with regards to my disagreement with . 

So, the maternal lineage stipulation could be traced to the Babylonian exile, when the Talmud was written, which of course is based on the oral law and goes back to Moses at Sinai...I see.  So in a way, this law is part of the Torah or at least is dated to then, and so the reason being is a Jewish mother, she knows he child is Jewish. 

Granted, Chaim has a point on customs and this in fact seems to date back to the times of Moses.  But do you see any advantage that the amendment to the Law of Return in the 70's could have? 

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2008, 12:08:04 AM »
It's alright Ambiorix, I could have used better rhetoric with regards to my disagreement with . 

So, the maternal lineage stipulation could be traced to the Babylonian exile, when the Talmud was written, which of course is based on the oral law and goes back to Moses at Sinai...I see.  So in a way, this law is part of the Torah or at least is dated to then, and so the reason being is a Jewish mother, she knows he child is Jewish. 

Granted, Chaim has a point on customs and this in fact seems to date back to the times of Moses.  But do you see any advantage that the amendment to the Law of Return in the 70's could have? 
Thank you ;)
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2008, 12:47:12 AM »

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2008, 09:21:25 AM »
The question of which parent is Jewish so the child is Jewish- was part of the Oral Law, but it wasn't really that much necessary back in the day when their was no assimilation. In some communities (ex- Syrian) even if the mother is Jewish and she had a child threw a non-Jew, they dont accept the child soo willingly (to school, and to other things, unless the mother makes realll regret and Tishuva).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2008, 07:28:23 PM »
What about the beta-Israel?  They are descendants of the Queen of Sheba and King Solomon, yet they are admitted into Israel and considered Jews, albeit their Jewry being paternally traced through King Solomon. 

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2008, 07:32:04 PM »
What about the beta-Israel?  They are descendants of the Queen of Sheba and King Solomon, yet they are admitted into Israel and considered Jews, albeit their Jewry being paternally traced through King Solomon. 

I dont know much about them, but if it is true that they really descend from them, - then they are Jewish because every women that Solomon married, converted as well.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline ramen

• Full JTFer
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2008, 07:32:28 PM »
i wouldnt. i would stay put.  O0

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2008, 07:44:39 PM »
I'm planning on after graduating in the summer to take the fall off, travel Europe, smoke some good medicine in Amsterdam :D .  Then do winter Ulpan in Israel, maybe study Arabic too.  After that, I may consider applying for citizenship. 

Thing is though ramen, I went to Israel on birthright, and I loved it:  the land, the people, the food, the beautiful Israeli women. 

Offline ramen

• Full JTFer
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2008, 07:52:38 PM »
i gta give u that. Israeli women....nice. but u get them everywhere else.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2008, 07:54:52 PM »
I'm planning on after graduating in the summer to take the fall off, travel Europe, smoke some good medicine in Amsterdam :D .  Then do winter Ulpan in Israel, maybe study Arabic too.  After that, I may consider applying for citizenship. 

Thing is though ramen, I went to Israel on birthright, and I loved it:  the land, the people, the food, the beautiful Israeli women. 

Please stay in Europe or whereever else you are. We dont need more tzaddikim like you.

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2008, 07:58:25 PM »
LOL!   :::D  I"m a tzaddik?  Doesn't Israel need more tzaddik's?  And at that, hash smoking tzaddiks? :::D

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2008, 08:01:53 PM »
LOL!   :::D  I"m a tzaddik?  Doesn't Israel need more tzaddik's?  And at that, hash smoking tzaddiks? :::D

keep laughing, you fool.

Offline ramen

• Full JTFer
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2008, 08:08:29 PM »
tzaddik - what is the meaning.

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2008, 08:32:40 PM »
I"m guessing Tzvi was being sarcastic, a Tzaddik is a righteous person, which is why I used the laugh icon. 

Of course Tzvi, there is a hasidic saying, that the most unholy of men, have the greatest of revelations. 

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2008, 08:34:43 PM »
I"m guessing Tzvi was being sarcastic, a Tzaddik is a righteous person, which is why I used the laugh icon. 

Of course Tzvi, there is a hasidic saying, that the most unholy of men, have the greatest of revelations. 

Yea, thats becuase prophecy after the destruction of the Second Beit Hamikdash went to small children and to crazy people (im not making it up, that's what's said by the Hachamim).

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2008, 08:38:23 PM »
well...I did have a dream a couple weeks ago I was standing atop the temple mount and 4 Chasidic Jews were carrying the ark of the covenant to the mount and were chasing the Muslims off.  And I won't lie, I am a little crazy. 

I'm sure you could construe many of the prophets crazy, namely Ezekiel, I think he walked around naked for a year or something. 

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2008, 11:05:27 PM »
well...I did have a dream a couple weeks ago I was standing atop the temple mount and 4 Chasidic Jews were carrying the ark of the covenant to the mount and were chasing the Muslims off.  And I won't lie, I am a little crazy. 

I'm sure you could construe many of the prophets crazy, namely Ezekiel, I think he walked around naked for a year or something. 

nice dream...

actually, I had a dream many years ago that i was in synogogue and they were taking the Torah out of the Ark, but singing the Aitz Chaim song and doing everything backwards.  And then all of a sudden they fumbled with the Torah and as it was about to hit the ground and dove and caught it.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2008, 11:07:27 PM »
Dreams and prophecy is complete different things, and anyway the dreams both of you had could mean many different things, also according to when it happened, etc.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2008, 11:13:48 PM »
Tzvi is right.  Did you wake up from the dream feeling very happy and unusually close to G-d?  If you did, the the dream may be of significance. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2008, 11:16:47 PM »
The reason why the prophets would sometimes be found naked and "out of it" is due to the nature of prophesy and the method of prophesy not because they were crazy. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2008, 11:21:16 PM »
Tzvi is right.  Did you wake up from the dream feeling very happy and unusually close to G-d?  If you did, the the dream may be of significance. 

If you're talking to me...what was happening during that time was that i caught a couple students cheating on a quiz and I called them on it...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2008, 11:30:13 PM »
The reason why the prophets would sometimes be found naked and "out of it" is due to the nature of prophesy and the method of prophesy not because they were crazy. 

I guess it's subjective.  Sure, the nakedness was supposed to be a metaphor for what I think was the poverty if Israel did not turn from its wicked ways, but those around the prophet, they probably had another opinion. 

Dreams and prophecy is complete different things, and anyway the dreams both of you had could mean many different things, also according to when it happened, etc.

Aren't they similar in some instances?  Jacob's dream of the ladder to heaven, Joseph's dreams surely could be construed a prophecy of Egypt's famines. 

It was a couple weeks before Hanukkah, and a couple weeks after I stopped eating kosher.  I made it my resolution to eat kosher after the birthright trip, but it's difficult given my situation.  I was rather thrilled I had such a dream, I often teeter between being a pure secularist (I'm very much in favor of evolutionary theory) and doing anything religious.  I think having this dream inspired me to attend the school's 1st menorah lighting.  So in a way, I feel this dream, at least for a time, rekindled my "religiosity." 

Granted, I did have a dream where I was circling the Kaaba in Mecca during the Hajj--however, I have never been to Mecca, as I am not a Muslim, but I have been to Jerusalem.