Author Topic: HUCKABEE SIDES WITH THE ACLU ABOUT GITMO: THIS IS THE CONSERVATIVE?  (Read 1871 times)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
http://stoptheaclu.com/archives/2007/12/04/huckabee-sides-with-aclu-on-gitmo-closing-and-waterboarding/

After the Iowa poll showed that Republican voters like him but found him much less “presidential” and “electable” than Romney, Huckabee sought to build his foreign policy credentials, meeting with a group of retired generals who are in Des Moines to urge the 2008 candidates to commit to opposing torture. After the meeting, Huckabee joined Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) in declaring his opposition to the interrogation procedure known as “waterboarding,” and said he would support closing the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, a contrast with the other leading Republicans.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2007/12/21/politics/fromtheroad/entry3639318.shtml

DAVENPORT, IA - Asked about Guantanamo, Mike Huckabee said he had visited the facility and said it was “disappointing” that military personnel were eating meals that averaged $1.60 while the detainees were eating Halal meals that cost over $4 each.

“The inmates there were getting a whole lot better treatment than my prisoners in Arkansas. In fact, we left saying, ‘I hope our guys don’t see this. They’ll all want to be transferred to Guanatanmo. If anything, it’s too nice.”

Huckabee has said Guantanamo is more a “symbolic issue” than anything else since the detainees are treated better than prisoners in the US. Today Huckabee said, “Where they are detained is of less importance to me than that they are detained…until we know they are of no threat to us.”

He also answered Mitt Romney's charges that he's soft on crime.

“If someone tries to tell you that I’m soft on crime, well that would be real news to the sixteen people whose executions I carried out. They didn’t think I was being real soft," Huckabee said.

"And the fact is that was the toughest decision I ever had to make. You want to talk about judgement. No one else running for president ever had to make that decision. And you know what you have to make that decision? You better be right.”

Meantime, yesterday in Cedar Rapids, it was a busy day for the commercial film crew chasing Huckabee, gathering material for the followup to his "controversial" (according to Huckabee at least) "What Matters" Christmas ad.

While "debate" continues over how appropriate it is to use the phrase "Merry Christmas" in a political ad, most everyone agrees it is not OK to say it after December 25.

According to Bob Wickers, Huckabee media consultant and mastermind of the "Chuck Norris Facts" commercial, the new ad will be intregal to the campaign and "consistant with who he is and how faith informs who he is". Expect an anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage message.

"In terms of core convictions, there is one candidate in this race who has core conviction," explains Wickers.

Huckabee has appeared before some very friendly audiences these past few days. The crowd cutaways should be nice!

Church goers and home schoolers flooded the basement of a local, family owned furniture store, for last night's gathering sponsored by the Iowa Christian Alliance, an outgrowth of the once powerful Christian Coalition.

If Huckabee's speaking cadence and style often resembles the flow of a church service, that just fine with the 200-ish supporters who peppered his speech with peppered with "Amens."

He mixed his populist, economic rhetoric with calls for the culture war and without naming his opponent, he portrayed Romney as a candidate who is buying the election.

RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
Re: HUCKABEE SIDES WITH THE ACLU ABOUT GITMO: THIS IS THE CONSERVATIVE?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:38:12 PM »
This is why I am concern about him also with Israel if he is siding with the ACLU about Gitmo who knows what he will start with the Arabs.

Beware of him fellow JTFers
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline dejavu

• Full JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:07:11 PM »
Since Chaim and others here have decided that Ron Paul is too questionable to support, then Huckabee is the most favorable candidate as far as JTF's issues are concerned.

Its a good thing that Chaim and others made that decision for you so that you didn't have to do any research yourself.

Get inline sheeple lets go this way  ::) ::) O0

kellymaureen

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 09:16:07 PM »

For anyone who feels badly about the terrorists in gitmo, there were some whose own countries wouldnt take them and they have no where to go.....so if any of the people crying over gitmo have a spare room there are homeless jihadis who need to be adopted...

Offline dejavu

• Full JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 09:27:12 PM »
Time to sound kind of cold but if they were truly terrorists then we should have shot them already.  If they are not terrorists then they should have been free to be praising Allah all day long on their own dusty piece of ground.  We should not be taking prisoners... its expensive and has little to no strategic advantage.  I could care less about them... they are an expense that America does not need same as going over there and invading their country in the first place (seeing as were going to rebuild the damn thing anyways).

kellymaureen

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 09:36:42 PM »
I agree they should have just shot them...however the UN and rest of the PC world would have been shocked and upset even more than they are about us babysitting terrorists, and for whatever reason some in our administration are still on that ridiculous "hearts and minds" crap.
Some are of no value, but there are some that have provided information....I would be happy to get our guys out of there and blow the whole place up jihadis and all.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 10:48:55 PM »

For anyone who feels badly about the terrorists in gitmo, there were some whose own countries wouldnt take them and they have no where to go.....so if any of the people crying over gitmo have a spare room there are homeless jihadis who need to be adopted...
they should be happy to be alive, if I was in charge, I would torture the **** out of them and then kill them
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline dejavu

• Full JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 11:00:59 PM »
now this one i definitely disagree with... why on earth would you torture them... for the fun of it... have you ever seen anyone die?  If so was it quick or did they suffer.  I couldn't make another person die suffering whether i thought they were an animal of a person or otherwise.  This statement makes you no different than anyone else that kills for sport or for the purpose of making someone else suffer.

Death is essential for life but why would you ever wish a slow death on anyone.  You are an epic waste of skin and air if you honestly believe anyone deserves to suffer.

kellymaureen

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:11:09 PM »
Some people deserve to suffer.

Susan smith, who belted her 2 small boys into the car and shoved it into a lake and let those defenceless children drown, imagine how scared they were when the water was coming up, struggling to get out of their carseats but they were too small, she even saw them looking out the back window at her, imagine how horrible their death was, agonizing and terrifying when they couldnt breathe....that beast deserves a torture that I couldnt even come up with.

That trash in florida who tortured and raped his 9 yr old neighbor for days before BURYING HER ALIVE in his yard, the corner said it took hours for her to die....imagine how agonizing that childs death was, oxygen slowly running out, pitch black, when they dug her up she had torn off all her nails right to the nail bed clawing to get out.....that monster deserves something I wouldnt be allowed to even write here...

The islamic filth that sawed off Daniel Pearls head, slowly, imagine how awful and agonizing HIS death was....the ones responsible for that deserve to be put through a woodchipper with dull blades, slowly feet first.

Yes some people DO deserve torture, and an agonizing death....they took an innocent life in all these cases, the second they did that, their worth as a human being ceased and they have no rights any longer.   

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 11:17:51 PM »
I don't see how the article matches the headline here.

The first paragraph claims that Huckabee sided with McCain in being against "waterboarding" but we have no quote, no proof, no context.

Why should we believe the narrative of some who knows who to tell us what he really said.

The rest of the article goes on the say (with quotes) that Huckabee thinks the prisoners are being treated TOO WELL in Gitmo.

That is the complete opposite of what the ACLU says about Gitmo.

So the headline to this thread appears to be a hit piece. Very misleading.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:21:23 PM by lubab »
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »
He is falling like a rock.  We need to find the best candidate to defeat the Dems and he isn't it.

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 01:26:58 PM »
He is falling like a rock.  We need to find the best candidate to defeat the Dems and he isn't it.

I disagree.  Huckabee is the ONLY candidate with a chance of beating the Democrats.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »

I disagree.  Huckabee is the ONLY candidate with a chance of beating the Democrats.

I agree Lubab!
 I like Huckabee chances... and some of his ideas aren't too bad either.