Author Topic: Dogs faced 'appalling' cruelty *warning graphic content*  (Read 2367 times)

Kiwi

Dogs faced 'appalling' cruelty *warning graphic content*
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:03:07 AM »

MORE than 100 dogs have been seized from a boarding and breeding kennel after the RSPCA found the animals in "appalling" conditions.

RSPCA inspectors and police raided Waterford Boarding Kennels and Cattery, just south of Brisbane, on Wednesday.

Dogs on the property – including pure-bred poodles, labrador pups and a pomeranian –  were in filthy enclosures with matted faeces and urine in their fur and maggots in their orifices.

RSPCA veterinarian Anne Covill said the living conditions were "abysmal", with many dogs suffering skin inflammations and riddled with worms.

"Internal parasites are another issue but it is too early to tell how bad it will be," Dr Covill said. "It's the worst condition I have seen in such large numbers."

The Sunday Mail was present when the RSPCA and police launched their raid armed with a warrant to enter the property.

Mrs Robertson initially refused to allow the inspectors into her house and yelled that negligence claims were "vexatious" and "false".

She relented after being warned her door was about to be kicked down and she could be arrested for failing to comply with the warrant.

Mrs Robertson, who maintained the dogs were well-fed and seen to regularly by a veterinarian, admitted looking after the dogs was hard work on her own.

"I agree it's too much for me," Mrs Robertson allegedly said to inspectors.

RSPCA veterinarians vaccinated and groomed the dogs and will now monitor the animals for any signs of the canine parvovirus.

Inspectors are considering charging Mrs Robertson with breach of duty of care, which carries a maximum $22,500 fine or 12 months' imprisonment.

A record number of complaints has swamped the association so far this year, with RSPCA officers called to investigate more than 40 cases a day.

RSPCA spokesman Michael Beatty said inspectors had received 441 complaints of animal cruelty or breach of duty of care since January 1 in Queensland.

Mr Beatty said the number of calls to the Queensland RSPCA call centre had risen dramatically, due in part to the popularity of television show RSPCA Animal Rescue.

"Before the show aired we were receiving between 9000 and 11,000 calls per month to our call centre," Mr Beatty said. "Since the show aired, our call centre has received about 20,000 calls per month.

"We just wish we had the staff to keep up."

The 101 dogs seized from the Waterford property included six being boarded there by their owners, who were being contacted by the RSPCA. Eight of the dogs had been bought and were to be sent overseas.

Pure-bred poodles sell for between $850 and $3000.

Geraldine Fooi Fong Robertson, 62, is registered with the Australian Securities and Investment Commission as the owner of the "breeding and grooming" business.

A sign at the front of the 2ha property also advertises services including clipping and grooming.

But Beaudesert Shire Council said Mrs Robertson did not hold a valid boarding kennel licence and had been given no environmental authority to conduct such a business in the shire.

In 2007, 15 boarding kennels, 332 pet shops, 22 tourist attractions and eight circuses were investigated following complaints made by the public.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Dogs faced 'appalling' cruelty *warning graphic content*
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:57:47 AM »
There's a series of different shows in different cities on Animal Planet which has cases like this on it sometimes. In one there was a house with literally HUNDREDS of starving, filthy cats.

Kiwi

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 12:27:57 AM »
Yup I watch them. Oh yeah surprise surprise this evil witch was Asian  ::)

Kiwi

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 07:33:37 PM »
In the early stages of my life I wanted to become a vet. Franky I find most animals far better than humans.

And I was told that I was too attached to the care and welfare of the animals to make a good vet. Apart from my anger management of wanting to punch the living day lights out of animal abusers, I saw the wisdom in the advice and became a nurse  :P

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 07:38:14 PM »
Those vermin should be treated likewise for a period no longer than 1 year and then hung, drawn and quartered...  bastards. 
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.