Author Topic: Concerns raised over Nazi Crap being sold  (Read 662 times)

Kiwi

Concerns raised over Nazi Crap being sold
« on: January 13, 2008, 07:50:07 AM »
Concerns raised over Nazi memorabilia

January 10, 2008 - 8:50PM

Two stores on the NSW mid-north coast have been found selling Nazi memorabilia and clothing, provoking the wrath of the state's Jewish community.

Concerned holiday-makers have contacted the NSW Jewish Board of Deputies reporting that the BP Legends Cafe in Kew, and the Borroco Clothing store Nelson Bay were selling the Nazi paraphernalia.

The board's CEO Vic Alhadeff said the two stores were openly displaying the material, with the proprietor of the Legends Cafe defending his right to sell Nazi flags and other memorabilia.

"I actually spoke to the proprietor of the BP Legends Cafe myself, and he acknowledged that he has actually been selling it for some time, and he defended his right to sell it," Mr Alhadeff said.

"I pointed out that it sends a very unfortunate and dangerous message for people to be openly displaying Nazi insignia, given what the Nazis stood for and given that Australia fought against the Nazis.

"He replied that he has to cater for the public and also sells Japanese flags and didn't see any difference."

The cafe, situated on the Pacific Highway south of Port Macquarie, declined to comment about the memorabilia.

Comment was also being sought from Borroco Clothing, which Mr Alhadeff said was selling T-shirts bearing a large swastika and the title Adolf Hitler.

"A member of the community who was on holiday in Nelson Bay just wandered into this shop and was confronted by the T-shirt," he said.

The sale of the shirts and other memorabilia sent a "disturbing signal" that Nazism was acceptable, Mr Alhadeff said.

"The swastika is a symbol of the worst racial genocide in history," he said.

"Nazism remains the ultimate in racial hatred, and that is obviously of concern to all Australians."

© 2008 AAP

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Concerns raised over Nazi Crap being sold
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 08:19:43 AM »
For many years after WW2 here in America it was almost a crime to display a flag or anything that had had a swastika on it. Years ago displaying something like that could get a person a friendly visit from the cops asking that the offending item be taken down or put away yet today that is no longer the case. I can see a collector wanting to have things from this time period in their collection or even in a display for historical purposes however  why would anyone want a shirt with swastika or a picture of Hitler(name and memory be stricken...) unless the felt they needed to glorify them. It seem that as more and more of the WW2 generation disappears no one took the time to teach the current generation just how evil this man and most of the German people in that country were during that time. The the lessons of the past are being lost. With the PC trend going on in the education system I can see this situation only getting worse and not better.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years