Author Topic: How often Do You Think About Death or Dying?  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
How often Do You Think About Death or Dying?
« on: January 13, 2008, 03:56:53 PM »
Not to sound morbid, but I was wondering how often people in the forum think about these subjects, either in relation to themselves or in regard for a loved one?  I must admit I ponder these issues quite regularly, more than I would like to in fact, but I can't seem to help it.  Yes, I do believe in G-d and heaven, and the fact that we're going to a better place, but still life seems so short and the tinge of uncertainty in what comes next is an issue for me.  Anyone else think about such things?

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: How often Do You Think About Death or Dying?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 04:00:32 PM »
Whenever I cross the road......and practically everyday. Usually regarding myself, because i get freaked out when thinking bad things could happen to loved ones. Every now and again, It suddenly hits me that i could die at any time, but that kind of draws me back from reality instead of pushing myself to live every minute to its best.

Very interesting question btw, Ari. Thank Yor for posting these threads.

Offline Trumpeldor

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 04:07:12 PM »
I just want to live a long happy life. I don't want to leave before my time.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 04:15:18 PM »
No problem, Sarah.  I appreciate the feedback.

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 07:28:06 PM »
Some of my thoughts about this question:

Every night when we say Kriya Shema before bed we are supposed to think about it.

Each sleep is like a mini-death and each morning is like a mini-resurrection. So you need to live that day to the fullest, it's like a whole mini-life.

My Rabbi always says "if you're not willing to die for something..you're not really living".

Rabbi Akiva was actually happy when they killed him for sticking to his Judaism because he had always wondered if his Jewishness was important enough to him that he would withstand such a test.

But the main thing is to live like a Jew, not just to die like a Jew.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 07:33:19 PM »
Some of my thoughts about this question:

Every night when we say Kriya Shema before bed we are supposed to think about it.

Each sleep is like a mini-death and each morning is like a mini-resurrection. So you need to live that day to the fullest, it's like a whole mini-life.

My Rabbi always says "if you're not willing to die for something..you're not really living".

Rabbi Akiva was actually happy when they killed him for sticking to his Judaism because he had always wondered if his Jewishness was important enough to him that he would withstand such a test.

But the main thing is to live like a Jew, not just to die like a Jew.

Interesting thoughts!

Offline dejavu

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 07:53:24 PM »
ah now for the atheists perspective...

Why think about death?  Dwelling on something will only make it come faster.  Am i saying that I am afraid of death and prefer not to think about it... definitely not death happens every day so liberate yourself from the fear of it and live your life in peace.

If you live in constant fear of death you will spend all of your time wondering if you should get in your car and drive to the store or if you could go without whatever you wanted. 

Enjoy the time you have before you become worm food.  The ability of humans to reason gets in the way of being happy... its as simple as that for me.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 09:09:27 PM »
I don't think about it, it's not like you can stop death, it's natural and therefore you should not fear it. We all have to face it sooner or later, enjoy life.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 09:18:19 PM »
I don't think about it, it's not like you can stop death, it's natural and therefore you should not fear it. We all have to face it sooner or later, enjoy life.

Death itself isn't scary, but what is scary is the fact that one will be judged. In truth everyone is judged every moment (or hour), but in this case, I can only imagine that its much more direct.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline ramen

• Full JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 09:25:10 PM »
depends where i am really.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »
A lot...and then i tell myself to live..
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 09:42:16 PM »
No, I just rather live my life to the fullest.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 09:55:23 PM »
Death itself isn't scary, but what is scary is the fact that one will be judged.
Im not scared so much of Death. It is something that's going to happen-that's what makes us human. But also, it would be the will of G-D. What does scare me, is judgement...shall i be sentenced to hell, or live with My Father in Heaven. The thought of forever burning in Hell (Gehenom), by far outweighs the fear of death.

Thinking of death now and then is a good thing. It makes you respect live, and be more respective to others, but also...it can prevent you from dying.

I guess, when you grow up with death around you, you get sort of desensitisd to it?

Offline CorrieDeservedIt

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 09:57:42 PM »
Everytime i walk past a group of  blacks or see a muslim on the bus or subway.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 09:58:43 PM »

;D
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 10:07:41 PM »

To me its not death but more of nearly throwing up.  Muslims are not the most cleanest people in the world.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 10:14:11 PM »
i don't blame you!

Joe Schmo

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 10:21:15 PM »
Not to sound morbid, but I was wondering how often people in the forum think about these subjects, either in relation to themselves or in regard for a loved one?  I must admit I ponder these issues quite regularly, more than I would like to in fact, but I can't seem to help it.  Yes, I do believe in G-d and heaven, and the fact that we're going to a better place, but still life seems so short and the tinge of uncertainty in what comes next is an issue for me.  Anyone else think about such things?

You sound like me.

In this day and age, life is easy.  We all have time to sit around and pontificate about death and other depressing topics.  The old-timers had no time to sit and worry about 'me, me, me'.  They busted their arses because they had to.

(I'm not criticizing Ari so much as myself in the above post.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:23:42 PM by Scriabin »

Joe Schmo

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »

Why think about death?  Dwelling on something will only make it come faster.  Am i saying that I am afraid of death and prefer not to think about it... definitely not death happens every day so liberate yourself from the fear of it and live your life in peace.

If you live in constant fear of death you will spend all of your time wondering if you should get in your car and drive to the store or if you could go without whatever you wanted. 

Enjoy the time you have before you become worm food.  The ability of humans to reason gets in the way of being happy... its as simple as that for me.

Of course this is true.

Thinking is overrated and can make a person extremely ill.

As far as thinking goes, a little dab'll do ya'.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:28:19 PM by Scriabin »

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 10:48:45 PM »

Of course this is true.

Thinking is overrated and can make a person extremely ill.

As far as thinking goes, a little dab'll do ya'.

This is the thinking and philosophy of Esav. Pour me some of that Red stuff, now. Not thinking and wanting to think about consequences of action. Of course life and death for an athiest is hell, thats why a society driven by denial of G-d needs drugs, alcohol any excape because they dont want to deal with reality (which is everlasting).

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 10:53:59 PM »
I always conjure up depressing thoughts whenever I'm on a long train ride. Occassionally I think about death, but I really tend to dwell on negative past experiences a lot.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 11:16:50 PM »
I always conjure up depressing thoughts whenever I'm on a long train ride. Occassionally I think about death, but I really tend to dwell on negative past experiences a lot.

eh! couple it with a few good 80's songs and then whenever you listen to those songs, it will remind you of these beautiful memories.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Kiwi

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 12:55:29 AM »
Death and dying never once worries me, its been apart of my life for so long now. I don't fear it at all, sometimes I welcome it openly for others.

I strongly feel when you die, since you have been true to G-d what is there to fear? I never feared my earthly father, why should I ever fear my heavenly one?

Offline KansasJew

• Senior JTFer
  • JTF Logo I made
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 02:01:19 AM »
Honestly Death is not something you really think about when you are younger but as you age. Death  is always around you and you realize that and you accept and you live life to its fullest.

I see death on a daily basis so Death is not something scary or morbid to me. It is a part of Ha Shem's Plan. Accept it and go on with life until your last breath.
Remember there has to be strong silent men on the walls at night to protect the people. Be Strong but not aggressive. Be Peaceful but not weak. Defend the Jewish People at all cost.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 07:51:26 AM »
I dont' think about death as much about myself as I do with family members I care about.