Author Topic: The US Dollar is in Bad Shape  (Read 8060 times)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
The US Dollar is in Bad Shape
« on: January 23, 2008, 03:00:42 PM »
http://www.chicagofed.org/consumer_information/strong_dollar_weak_dollar.cfm

The continued weakness of the U.S. dollar poses some questions for investors - like what does this mean to me. Among other things, it probably means a rise in long-term interest rates.

The US Dollar vs the Canadian dollar for example

And as weak as the Canadian Dollar is the US Dollar isn't doing much better.

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=1&from=USD&to=CAD&submit=Convert

The U.S. market is hurting regardless who ever is in office

http://www.x-rates.com/
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: The US Dollar is in Bad Shape
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 03:02:38 PM »
it's because we are spending a lot of money to fight the terrorists...Bush warned that this would be a long arduous war...this is one of the early effects.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 03:05:56 PM »
it's because we are spending a lot of money to fight the terrorists...Bush warned that this would be a long arduous war...this is one of the early effects.

David Ben Mosche said it best once when we are fighting a war of attrition, that the war is going to be a pro long war cause we want to stretch it as far as possible.  In Iraq for example.  Instead of having grounds to occupy a Muzzie hell hole how about bombarding it from the sky 72 days for their 72 virgins.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Joe Schmo

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 03:10:54 PM »
We should all buy lots of gold.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 03:19:01 PM »

Yes, interesting point you made Scriabin cause gold is at an all time high over 900 per ounce

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 03:20:57 PM »

That might be a last resort...

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 04:53:38 PM »
Scriabin:  "...We should all buy lots of gold."

If somebody will lend me some money for gasoline, I'll go buy some!

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 05:16:40 PM »
Britain plummetted in the Stockmarket recently too. Everybody thought  that the pound was doing great against the dollar and relishing in its decrease, though stupidly didn't realise that around 77 billion more pounds had been borrowed this year.

Food prices and everything is rising over here.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 05:19:32 PM »
Sarah, the Brittish market is plummeting because of the parasitic effect the Muslims are having on the country. I know you are not like them, but the fact is that Islam is totally destroying the country and if these people take power, your genitals will be mutilated.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »
Britain plummetted in the Stockmarket recently too. Everybody thought  that the pound was doing great against the dollar and relishing in its decrease, though stupidly didn't realise that around 77 billion more pounds had been borrowed this year.

The world should know by now that when America's economy is stalling the rest of the worlds economies will most likely follow the same trend. America's economy fuels the world. When the stock markets were closed on Monday here in America the rest of the worlds markets were on hold or in decline. You can put your money in anything you like even in gold and it will do little good. When the dollar is down for a while even gold will not hold its price for long.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 05:43:19 PM »

The world should know by now that when America's economy is stalling the rest of the worlds economies will most likely follow the same trend. America's economy fuels the world. When the stock markets were closed on Monday here in America the rest of the worlds markets were on hold or in decline. You can put your money in anything you like even in gold and it will do little good. When the dollar is down for a while even gold will not hold its price for long.

Yep very true.

Though i thought that silver was actually on the verge of becoming just as expensive as gold....because it had gone up an awful lot.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 06:54:26 PM »

Yep very true.

Though i thought that silver was actually on the verge of becoming just as expensive as gold....because it had gone up an awful lot.
Yes you make a good point Sarah. Silver is actually considered an industrial grade metal who's use is becoming higher in demand. Some of the money talk people are actually saying it has the potential to be a very good investment. Investing in metals can be a tricky prospect a few years back Ford Motor Company bought a large supply of Platinum at what they thought was a dirt cheap price at a low point in the market. They use this metal in part of the exhaust system on cars called the catalytic converter. ( It cleans the exhaust gases). Ford bought a multi year supply thinking they would supply up and if nothing else the price would only go higher and they could sell off the excess if they no longer needed it at a much higher price. Well a short time later General Motors came up with a process that cut the amount of platinum needed to do the job to a fraction of what was used before and other car companies picked up on the new  technology. The result was that the Platinum price collapsed to an even lower level and Ford was now stuck with an endless supply of platinum that was worth millions of dollars less then what they bought it for. Like any other investment situations in the metals market can change over night.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 08:52:58 PM »

Yes, interesting point you made Scriabin cause gold is at an all time high over 900 per ounce

we should have bought lots 0f gold some years ago!
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

newman

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 08:56:33 PM »
With the low US dollar it's a good time for non-Americans to buy that classic 60s American muscle car they've always dreamed of (pity about the fuel prices, though).

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 08:59:43 PM »
I want to buy myself some good hand-build electronics, if the prices of US products really go down here in Belgium.
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

newman

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 09:05:08 PM »
I want to buy myself some good hand-build electronics, if the prices of US products really go down here in Belgium.

Buy clothes from the US, too. A pair of Wrangler jeans we pay A$100 for is $30 in the US. Even with shipping, duty, GST and the exchange rate it's still cheaper by 40% or more.

Best mens clothing store on earth:

http://www.sheplers.com/

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 09:10:37 PM »

Buy clothes from the US, too. A pair of Wrangler jeans we pay A$100 for is $30 in the US. Even with shipping, duty, GST and the exchange rate it's still cheaper by 40% or more.

you'll be surprised, but US products are impossible to find here.\
only German, some Japanese, and some EU products are sold here.

Of course, most products are made by multinationals, that could be in Ar-apes hands...

I don't want Levis jeans.
they are made in Turkey.
i hate Turks.

newman

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »

Of course, most products are made by multinationals, that could be in Ar-apes hands...

they are made in Turkey.
i hate Turks.

Buy Wranglers, they're made in China.

EU protection stops a lot of goods going there at the right money. The only reason europeans buy crap like Ford Transit vans is that there are no cheap, reliable jap commercial vehicles on the new car market.

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »

they are made in Turkey.
i hate Turks.

EU protection stops a lot of goods going there at the right money. The only reason europeans buy crap like Ford Transit vans is that there are no cheap, reliable jap commercial vehicles on the new car market.
I don't need a car thank you. And the Chinese communists can drop dead.
Ford Tranist is considered ok here , but we have better cars like Mercedes, and some are worse, like the French cars.

newman

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 09:24:43 PM »

they are made in Turkey.
i hate Turks.

Ford Tranist is considered ok here , but we have better cars like Mercedes, and some are worse, like the French cars.

French cars used to be excellent. The old Peugeots of the 50s, 60s and 70s were the most reliable and durable cars ever. Bloody accountants running everything have stuffed it up.

Australia has had Japanese cars for 40+ years. We take it for granted that you can have a car, van or pickup for 20 years and 300,000 plus kilometers and have ZERO mechanical or electrical problems. Try getting that out of an English Ford or other Euro make today.

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 09:29:26 PM »

they are made in Turkey.
i hate Turks.

French cars used to be excellent. The old Peugeots of the 50s, 60s and 70s were the most reliable and durable cars ever. Bloody accountants running everything have stuffed it up.

Australia has had Japanese cars for 40+ years. We take it for granted that you can have a car, van or pickup for 20 years and 300,000 plus kilometers and have ZERO mechanical or electrical problems.

Try getting that out of an English Ford or other Euro make today.
I can only imagine pre '85 Mercedes and Rolls-Royce.
What about USA-cars, like Dodge, RAM,...
nobody has this here, too much taxes on the horsepower of the motor.
Our transportation is one with Volvo trucks , Scania, Mercedes, DAF, ...

newman

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 09:33:56 PM »

they are made in Turkey.
i hate Turks.

Australia has had Japanese cars for 40+ years. We take it for granted that you can have a car, van or pickup for 20 years and 300,000 plus kilometers and have ZERO mechanical or electrical problems.

The core mechanicals of modern American and Australian cars is fine, but you get constand QC related and electrical problems.

Yes, old Rolls Royces and Mercs were long lasting but EXPENSIVE. Jap cars were not only long lasting and reliable but affordable to the average man, too.

In trucks I still prefer American deisels like Cummins or Caterpiller.

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 09:37:31 PM »

they are made in Turkey.
i hate Turks.

The core mechanicals of modern American and Australian cars is fine, but you get constand QC related and electrical problems.

Yes, old Rolls Royces and Mercs were long lasting but EXPENSIVE. Jap cars were not only long lasting and reliable but affordable to the average man, too.

I have never seen an American truck in Europe. Only from tv.

I agree Toyota were strong.
My neighbour once bought a second-hand Rolls for 10,950.$A
it had 2500 km...

newman

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 09:40:39 PM »

they are made in Turkey.
i hate Turks.

it had 2500 km...

You can buy a new Toyota for the price of rebuilding the engine on an old Rolls. ::)

Best thing for an old Rolls with a tired motor is to buy one of the American conversion kits and put a 6.6 litre Chrysler V8 under the hood.

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 09:44:28 PM »

they are made in Turkey.
i hate Turks.

it had 2500 km...

You can buy a new Toyota for the price of rebuilding the engine on an old Rolls. ::)

Best thing for an old Rolls with a tired motor is to buy one of the American conversion kits and put a 6.6 litre Chrysler V8 under the hood.
if you drive a 6,6 litre in Belgium , you pay at least 3000 € tax, just for driving with this engine.
that's why we all drive 2l motors.

In Denmark, a car cost roughly twice as much as in Germany. (100% tax)
Danes drive small cars...