Author Topic: Small group of ultra orthodox take to wearing Burqas  (Read 2327 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Small group of ultra orthodox take to wearing Burqas
« on: January 23, 2008, 06:01:18 PM »
Beatings and Burkas in Beit Shemesh
Posted by Daniel Treiman, January 22, 2008, 8:27 pm
Something has gone horribly wrong in Ramat Beit Shemesh.

Zealots within the haredi community in that Israeli city near Jerusalem have engaged in sometimes violent confrontations with their secular and Modern Orthodox neighbors, as well as other ultra-Orthodox Jews.

Even The New York Times has taken notice. Back in September, the paper of record reported that a Ramat Beit Shemesh kosher pizzeria was apparently pelted with tomatoes, hot oil and gasoline — all for daring to seat both men and women.

The latest incident was an attack on an ultra-Orthodox American immigrant by a gang of crazies. “A bunch of goons, maybe 20 or 30 guys, attacked me — it was like a pogrom,” the victim told Ha’aretz. “They kicked me, beat me, and then just left me there. Luckily, I am a strong guy and was able to get up and go to the hospital.”

The victim, Ha’aretz reports, had previously been involved in efforts to stop the violence that has plagued Ramat Beit Shemesh’s Haredi neighborhoods. In response to the latest attacks, ultra-Orthodox residents finally came out and protested the violence of their more fanatical brethren.

The strangest story to have come out of Ramat Beit Shemesh, however, seems to have largely escaped attention here in the United States. A small group of ultra-Orthodox women, apparently influenced by a Ramat Beit Shemesh rebbetzin, have — to the dismay of rabbinic authorities and even their husbands —in an over-the-top display of modesty, taken to wearing burkas. Ha’aretz ran an article (unfortunately available only in Hebrew) on this phenomenon a few months back. The story has, however, in recently received a little bit of attention in the American blogosphere, thanks to earlier posts from the Muqata blog and Israeli blogger Tali Shapiro. :o :o
Reportedly, only a handful of Jewish women are donning the burkas. But the Muqata blog says the trend has already spread to other Israeli cities.

Any trend, no matter how small, deserves a name. And so I hereby dub this item of apparel “the Jurka” — the Jewish burka!

Read the Muqata’s take here, and Shapiro’s here.

http://www.forward.com/blogs/bintel-blog/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 06:02:57 PM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
Re: Small group of ultra orthodox take to wearing Burqas
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 06:10:18 PM »
That's crazy they're some borders you shud not cross, jews shud not emulate musslimes. Even if some Rabbis acept this. :o
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
That's crazy they're some borders you shud not cross, jews shud not emulate musslimes. Even if some Rabbis acept this. :o
Agrred maybe they are neturei karta
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 06:14:37 PM »
Agrred maybe they are neturei karta
I highly doubt it.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 06:47:06 PM »
This is yet another BS garbage from the israeli media, what else do you expect? Beit Shemesh is known to be a town that many American Olim come to. This is probably propaganda for them to stop coming. Either way, I dont believe ANY Rabbi would approve of a burka, expecially if it covers the face. In Jewish law the face has to be shown, Muslims took modesty to an extreme so they can say see we are better in that issue.
- Guys do you allways believe what the media tells you?
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 07:38:48 PM »
Tzvi Ben Roshel, you are 1000000% wrong. I actually witnessed these crazy Chareidim in Bet Shemesh calling Israeli soldiers who were walking in the town names simply because they were with a girl. These religious zealots need to be put on a leash before they destroy the country. It's bad enough that they don't serve in the army and collect welfare while they roam the streets and create chaos. It is actually well known that these religious guys in Bet shemesh are bored as they don't work or do anything productive with their lives so they go around and are violent. These beasts give religious jews a bad name and turn people off.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 08:26:27 PM »
Tzvi Ben Roshel, you are 1000000% wrong. I actually witnessed these crazy Chareidim in Bet Shemesh calling Israeli soldiers who were walking in the town names simply because they were with a girl. These religious zealots need to be put on a leash before they destroy the country. It's bad enough that they don't serve in the army and collect welfare while they roam the streets and create chaos. It is actually well known that these religious guys in Bet shemesh are bored as they don't work or do anything productive with their lives so they go around and are violent. These beasts give religious jews a bad name and turn people off.
Learning Torah isn't productive?

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:35:18 PM »
In Jewish law the face has to be shown, Muslims took modesty to an extreme so they can say see we are better in that issue.

Does this mean that Jews can't wear masks either? I'm just curious. Like say, if you had a dress up party with masks, like a masked ball, could a Jew attend?

newman

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 10:44:54 PM »

This was discussed by a Rabbi on Arutz Sheva.

He said that refusing to earn a living in order to study Torah at the expense of others is a sin. He did point out that if a man received voluntary sponsorship by another person to study Torah full-time it was OK. But to refuse to work and draw social security in order to study Torah full-time was wrong.

What's wrong with working and studying Torah part-time like 99.9% of religious Jews throughout history?

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 11:06:09 PM »

He said that refusing to earn a living in order to study Torah at the expense of others is a sin. He did point out that if a man received voluntary sponsorship by another person to study Torah full-time it was OK. But to refuse to work and draw social security in order to study Torah full-time was wrong.

What's wrong with working and studying Torah part-time like 99.9% of religious Jews throughout history?
I do not support taking welfare from the state, and I would certainly encourage serving in the army - but if someone has the financial means to be able to learn Torah all day, more power to him...

Offline Nolandforshalom

• Senior JTFer
    • The Jewish Store
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 11:11:25 PM »

I do not support taking welfare from the state, and I would certainly encourage serving in the army - but if someone has the financial means to be able to learn Torah all day, more power to him...

I agree. I support funding Jews to be able to only study Torah. It will bring Moshiach Faster.
http://www.thejewishstore.net
The Place for all your Kahanist, Jewish, and Zionist Shopping Needs!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 02:26:23 PM »
In Jewish law the face has to be shown, Muslims took modesty to an extreme so they can say see we are better in that issue.

Does this mean that Jews can't wear masks either? I'm just curious. Like say, if you had a dress up party with masks, like a masked ball, could a Jew attend?

Actually, probably the party itself would be worse then the fact of wearing a mask. But I know that on purim it is done (actually it also has deeper meanings behind it), but I dont know if its not allowed allway (except Purim), or just as a general rule.
- The face is the identity of the person (also those who have the knowledge are able to see a lot about the soul of the person which is shown specifically by the face). Covering it up completly is like taking away the identity, also many other things are involved.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 04:22:02 PM »
According ot the Mishna, Jewish women living in Arabia wore Burqa-style veils.

Never Jewish women living in
Israel.

But to each his own. I don't think it is a very positive development but we'll see where this leads.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 04:23:21 PM »
This is yet another BS garbage from the israeli media, what else do you expect? Beit Shemesh is known to be a town that many American Olim come to. This is probably propaganda for them to stop coming. Either way, I dont believe ANY Rabbi would approve of a burka, expecially if it covers the face. In Jewish law the face has to be shown, Muslims took modesty to an extreme so they can say see we are better in that issue.

AMEN! I agree with yhou!
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »

Only when then news are crazy enough: who woud belive twenty years ago aside from Kahane fallowers that Arabs will get all lands liberated in 1967 almost without single shot... german owned Haretz of course has it's own anti zionist and anti Jewish agenda agree but it coud happened.
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm