Author Topic: How Do You Approach Learning A New Subject?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
How Do You Approach Learning A New Subject?
« on: January 24, 2008, 01:21:27 AM »
I have a lot I would like to still learn about a great many fields, but sometimes when I try to pick up something new I am overwhelmed by the amount of information available about almost any particular subject.  Any advice?  When you want to learn something new, how do you know you are approaching it from the right angle and getting the whole picture, or at least most of it?  You can't possibly read and learn everything, so what can you do to try and ensure you are getting a comprehensive and balanced view, in terms books, other available media, etc?  How do you go about selecting resources you are comfortable with, so at the end of the day you can say you've really learned something. O0

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Re: How Do You Approach Learning A New Subject?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 09:36:53 PM »
Shut out?

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 09:58:16 PM »
I just dive in. I get all the material on the subject I can get my hands on. DVD video tutorials (I download them on Utorrent, you'd be amazed what you can find, but use a bad-IP blocker like Peerguardian if you are going to do torrent download), books (I practically live at Amazon dotcom). Dive in with enthusiasm, even if you get confused or overwhelmed at some point, so what? Who cares, be confused, put down the book and look at the DVD, maybe the lecturer on the DVD will clarify, if not, try another book. Like the nike slogan "just do it".  O0

Currently I am studying for my MCSE certification, and a CCNA certification (More money earning potential yaay!), the book "The SAS survival guide" (No real reason, just because. I like the idea, that I, a city boy, can have the knowledge to survive in the wilderness, and I've never even been camping  ;D ), watching Krav Maga training videos to learn self defense. It's fun. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 10:03:28 PM by New Yorker »
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 10:36:20 PM »
Great advice, thanks!  By the way, I'm tempted to use UTorrent, but I don't want to risk screwing up my computer.  How's your experience been?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 10:43:31 PM by Ari »

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 12:01:42 AM »
Great advice, thanks!  By the way, I'm tempted to use UTorrent, but I don't want to risk screwing up my computer.  How's your experience been?

I've had no problems with Utorrent. Just make sure your antivirus is up to date (when you download, it's possible to download a virus infected file, your antivirus will catch it and delete it), also have a bad-ip blocker running when you download, this will also reduce the number of virus infected files you might download (by blocking known IP addresses where viruses have been downloaded from) and just as important, it blocks anti-p2p people like the RIAA, I suggest Peerguardian.  :)
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline The Shadow

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 12:09:06 AM »
I just dive in. I get all the material on the subject I can get my hands on. DVD video tutorials (I download them on Utorrent, you'd be amazed what you can find, but use a bad-IP blocker like Peerguardian if you are going to do torrent download), books (I practically live at Amazon dotcom). Dive in with enthusiasm, even if you get confused or overwhelmed at some point, so what? Who cares, be confused, put down the book and look at the DVD, maybe the lecturer on the DVD will clarify, if not, try another book. Like the nike slogan "just do it".  O0

Currently I am studying for my MCSE certification, and a CCNA certification (More money earning potential yaay!), the book "The SAS survival guide" (No real reason, just because. I like the idea, that I, a city boy, can have the knowledge to survive in the wilderness, and I've never even been camping  ;D ), watching Krav Maga training videos to learn self defense. It's fun. 

I like the way you think!  You have an upbeat attitude, and make good use of your time.   I'm with you, watch out for number1, and don't step in number 2.  You probably agree with what I write as well