Author Topic: Dial-a-Rabbi... Good or Bad Idea?  (Read 4546 times)

Offline abdithefaithful

• Full JTFer
Dial-a-Rabbi... Good or Bad Idea?
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:59:16 PM »
I'm going to be very blunt, at this point I remain somewhat "on the fence" as to whether or not I believe this so-called "Dial-a-Rabbi" business is genuinely ethical or not. Here's some of the basic facts, please review, contemplate and come to your own conclusion...

Rabbi Stuart Shiff is one of several New York rabbis employed by Aish HaTorah, for a donation usually averaging either upward or around ten thousand dollars, "industry bosses" and members of "Manhattan's upper crust elite" who are either too busy (or just too gosh darn LAZY) to go to shul can have a rabbi meet them at the office by simply placing a phone call to "Dial-a-Rabbi". This story is getting lots of hype today over the local broadcast news programs. Is this "revolutionary religious concept" the best thing since sliced bread or does it reak of a stenchful odor similar to ten day old rotting Holishkes? You decide. You be the judge. Constructive criticism only please. Like I said, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not this "service" is "appropriate" to me. Thanks in advance for your input.

If you don't like The Great Chaim, then you sure as heck wouldn't like me!

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
Re: Dial-a-Rabbi... Good or Bad Idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:06:18 PM »
What would be wrong with it?

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:16:46 PM »
what's next?
rent-a-Rabbi??
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:28:20 PM »
Great Idea, I live in a city were I am the only Jew I ring a friend of mine who is a Rabbi every week and it provides me with what I require.

Think of all the Jews unable to contact physically a Rabbi, this allows them too.

I 1000000000% support this idea.  O0 O0 O0 O0

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 10:21:19 PM »
what's next?
rent-a-Rabbi??
I doubt they would charge...

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 10:23:14 PM »
what exactly is supposed to happen? a rabbi just goes to some schmucks office to see him?
KAHANE TZADAK!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 10:24:35 PM »
what exactly is supposed to happen? a rabbi just goes to some schmucks office to see him?

Or maybe a Rabbi goes to an older woman that can no longer leave their house.

Offline Nolandforshalom

• Senior JTFer
    • The Jewish Store
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 10:27:06 PM »
This is a great idea!  O0 O0 O0
http://www.thejewishstore.net
The Place for all your Kahanist, Jewish, and Zionist Shopping Needs!

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 10:27:37 PM »

again what is the purpose of this? Just to see a Rabbi? If someone has halakhic question I don't see why it cant just be handled over the phone
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 10:27:55 PM »
It's a good idea.  People are very busy with their jobs and don't have the time to actually see Rabbis most of the time so they usually call their local Rabbi to begin with.  This is just extending the idea and making it more easy for people to contact a Rabbi especially in those areas with no Rabbi available. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 10:29:44 PM »

again what is the purpose of this? Just to see a Rabbi? If someone has halakhic question I don't see why it cant just be handled over the phone

I take it you have access to Rabbis when you want?

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 10:29:52 PM »
Hence...
Dial-a-Rabbi...

Offline KansasJew

• Senior JTFer
  • JTF Logo I made
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 10:31:10 PM »
It is like any business....Demand will outstrip Supply...Soon it will be watered down to a Man that wears a Kippa and knows some Yiddish and says "Your Okay!"
Remember there has to be strong silent men on the walls at night to protect the people. Be Strong but not aggressive. Be Peaceful but not weak. Defend the Jewish People at all cost.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 10:45:36 PM »
It is like any business....Demand will outstrip Supply...Soon it will be watered down to a Man that wears a Kippa and knows some Yiddish and says "Your Okay!"
It's not a business if there's no money involved...

Offline KansasJew

• Senior JTFer
  • JTF Logo I made
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 10:49:35 PM »
Business is just a reference point.....Not to imply money changing hands but the idea of Demand versus Supply...
Remember there has to be strong silent men on the walls at night to protect the people. Be Strong but not aggressive. Be Peaceful but not weak. Defend the Jewish People at all cost.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 10:57:10 PM »
Hence...
Dial-a-Rabbi...
but they said the rabbi would then come see the person? right?
KAHANE TZADAK!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 11:08:36 PM »
This is like saying we shouldnt use telephones to communicate with people, when we can just see them. Or dont use the internet for information you need but take yourself to a library.  Whats wrong with calling a Rav if you need an answer? (ex- Your somewhere in the city and want to call your Rav to ask if the hasgafa in that resturant you come across is valid, or a million other questions).
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 11:14:34 PM »
Hence...
Dial-a-Rabbi...
but they said the rabbi would then come see the person? right?
No.  Someone else said that.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 11:16:04 PM »
It may be good for people who are house bound, like the sick and elders. 
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline KansasJew

• Senior JTFer
  • JTF Logo I made
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »
I am just saying it is a great idea however the Demand will be slow at first and then it will pick up in calls as it grows in popularity.

This Rabbi will do nothing but answer the phone....He will be too busy for other duties

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 01:51:14 AM »
Well many hospitals also have chappels of both hospital Priests and Rabbis for the patients.  So this may be interesting.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline abdithefaithful

• Full JTFer
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 09:38:18 AM »
After carefully reading, reviewing and absorbing all the many replies of this thread, my former status of "being on the fence" regarding my opinion of this new "Dial-a-Rabbi" concept has been strongly swayed to believing that it is in fact a "good thing". Although I still have some minor issue with the, ahem,  "$10,000+ donation" that appears to be necessary in order to receive quality attention, it stills seems as if this is a service that can be most beneficial to those who might have a difficult time leaving the confines of their home or office.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »
How about "Dial THE Rabbi"...

Inspiring & motivational pre-recorded messages edited from Rabbi Meir Kahane audio archives.

Each recorded message will close with a request to Help Save Israel by donating to JTF, Hilltop Youth, etc. and provide the necessary information.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 10:36:42 AM »
How about "Dial THE Rabbi"...

Inspiring & motivational pre-recorded messages edited from Rabbi Meir Kahane audio archives.

Each recorded message will close with a request to Help Save Israel by donating to JTF, Hilltop Youth, etc. and provide the necessary information.
Ehh... I don't know if that would end up working out so well...

The can find many those things on Kahane.org anyway...

Offline abdithefaithful

• Full JTFer
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 11:32:13 AM »
Today's modern technology has a reach that touches practically every facet of our lives. And I guess it is only the fool who thinks that religion should somehow be exempt from modern technology's reach. Even as I type on this keyboard into a complex network of wires and cables, enabling these very words I write to appear before your eyes, that is a prime example of one of the many incredible capabilities of modern technology. And we should applaud it.

It's also no secret that our enemies use modern technology to scheme and execute harm against us. So therefore, we can assume that the technology is also somewhat of the proverbial "double edged sword".

I guess it is in our best interest to try to use our modern technology to further our beliefs, message and mission, hey, I guess that's what we're all doing on this sacred cyber message board. Although we live in a society that has become most comfortable with "dialing a pizza", we should do all in our power to encourage those unable to leave the confines of their homes and offices to feel comfortable when "dialing a Rabbi".