Poll

Should the term "Hispanic" be banned and be replaced with "Latin American"?

Yes.
5 (20%)
No.
20 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Should the term "Hispanic" be banned and be replaced with "Latin American"?  (Read 11569 times)

admin

The reason I ask is that Hispanics is a farce of a "race" invented by The US Census Bureau. It is truley a social construct. In Politics of Diversity class the teacher said race was a social construct which I DO NOT agree with. But Hispanic has no basis in Science. It is not a race because Hispanics come from 3 different races or a combination of two or more.

Hispanic is not even a nationality because there are many Latin American countries and there are not one country. Furthermore, the term Hispanic has the stigma of meaning non-white. This is not always the case and it is forced on whites in Latin America who may not even be Spaniards such as Italians or Eastern European Jews in Argentina.

I vote yes. Latin American is a much better term since it is just describing a geographic location.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 06:20:27 AM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

newman

How about we treat people from Jew-hating nations like mexico the same as other Jew-haters........with abuse and derision.

White, european-Americans of Spanish descent can just be considered as european-Americans like krauts, Italians or others.

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
I think we're banning too many terms. Hispanic is a perfectly legitimate description of people from Spanish-speaking countries. Others prefer the term Latino. My concern is that if we keep banning words that we are becoming "politically correct", G-d forbid.

newman

How about we treat people from Jew-hating nations like mexico the same as other Jew-haters........with abuse and derision.

White, european-Americans of Spanish descent can just be considered as european-Americans like krauts, Italians or others.

So what about white Americans of Spanish-Mexican descent?

If you mean loyal US citizens who identify as such and not as mexicans then they should be in the same boat as european-Americans. Just as we view Allan Keyes or Joe Clark as Americans and not (specifically)schvartzas.

newman

I think we're banning too many terms. Hispanic is a perfectly legitimate description of people from Spanish-speaking countries. Others prefer the term Latino. My concern is that if we keep banning words that we are becoming "politically correct", G-d forbid.

GLORY HELLELUJA!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou Chaim!

I (along with a great many peeved-off JTFers) applaud.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member

So what about white Americans of Spanish-Mexican descent?

I have always found the people from Spain and Portugal to be very different in mentality than most people from south of the border and Puerto Rico. They do seem to be more upstanding in the way they live.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
Why is Hispanic a racist term ?

Don't ban it.
"We are in 1938, and Iran is Germany"

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
OK whats a Hispanic ? what races are they? and Latin American please explain that term as well.

Like Ricky Martin is Latin American, but is he an Hispanic too or is that a different thing?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Chaim as always your are the voice of reason and thats what makes JTF so great.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

newman

The one at the bottom is a half-breed mexican at best. 3/4 anglo, I'd say.

'Hispanic' has never referred to full-blood indians has it?

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
Honestly I don't think the term means anything much.

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
This is why I feel "hispanic" is NOT a legitimate term....

The following people are ALL classified as being of the same ethnicity of "Hispanic"

Amerdindians:

Mestizos:

White Hispanics:

(Mexican-American "hispanic" actress):

Now, are all these people really the SAME ethnicity?
I personally don't think so, I do think its a farce.

I think Millsy has a point -

newman

'Hispanic' has never referred to full-blood indians has it?

In a job application and college application  I was looking at a while ago, the term "Hispanic" covered full blooded amerindians. They are seen as Hispanic,I mean what other term would they use? Have you honestly seen "Amerindian" on an application before?

And how can you say she's a half breed? Do you know her?
Or are you just saying that because she's part Mexican? Is it part of what you claim to be 99.9% of the time you calling Mexicans names? LOL.
Yea I'm sure she's a half-breed with a name like Alexis Bledel...such a "half-breed" name!

She doesn't look latin, spanish or mexican.........whatever lable you wanna use. She looks anglo-keltic. I wouldn't feel right calling HER names...................unless someone can prove she's over 51% mexican, then I'll be happy to.

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
Newman now doen't get nasty. No need to use the term  "breed". .. We understand that in Australia most of the people behave like animals but you cannot generalize the rest of the world ! I remember you telling me that you cannot leave your house without being attacked by a King Cobra or a Kangaroo.

newman

Newman now doen't get nasty. No need to use the term  "breed". .. We understand that in Australia most of the people behave like animals but you cannot generalize the rest of the world ! I remember you telling me that you cannot leave your house without being attacked by a King Cobra or a Kangaroo.
Hey!

You've seen those cartoons where Sylvester meets the baby kangaroo that he thinks is a giant mouse. They can kick butt!

Offline Merkava

• Master JTFer
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! I know....some of the best ones !

newman

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! I know....some of the best ones !

You don't know about the Yowies, either. They're real buggers to run into on a dark night.

Offline Hail Columbia

• Master JTFer
  • Vrijheid, Welvaart, Beschaving
    • AfricanCrisis, Africa's Premier Hard News Website
The term "Hispanic" should not be banned.  Instead, it should be exclusively used to refer to white people of Spanish descent.  However, the term "Latino" should be banned.  That term, which was coined by frog sociologists during the 1860s for the purpose of rationalizing Napoleon III's invasion of Mexico, sounds deceivingly ambiguous, but for the most part, refers only to the Spanish-speaking peoples south of the United States (Brazilians are occasionally considered Latinos), and not to all white Romance people.  How the hell is it that someone from Central America with one Spanish great-grandparent, and the rest of his ancestry being Amerindian, be considered a "Latino", yet someone from Romania, Italy, France, and so on, cannot himself be considered a "Latino"?  If the term "Latino" really did refer to all Romance-speaking peoples in the Americas, then that must include the Haitians, right?  After all, they speak French, a Romance language.  It is for such reasons that the term "Latino" should be banned.  It should be rendered on this board as either "Hispanophone-American" or "Ibero-American"
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:13:16 AM by Hail Columbia »

Learn the truth about rap "music": (Strongly recommended for new members)
www.geocities.com/wilder2k1
My MySpace site:
http://www.myspace.com/hailcolumbiajtf
My YouTube site:
http://www.youtube.com/user/HailColumbiaJTF
Dixie Outfitters, Preserving Southern Heritage Since 1861:
http://www.dixieoutfitters.com/
AfricanCrisis, Africa's Premier Hard News Website:
http://www.africancrisis.co.za
The Right Perspective, NYC's Most Dangerous Callers to Talk Radio, Airing Live Every Friday Night, 10 PM EST:
http://www.therightperspectivepodcastblog.blogspot.com/

In thy power Almighty, trusting,
Did our fathers build of old;
Strengthen then, O Lord, their children
To defend, to love, to hold
That the heritage they gave us
For our children yet may be:
Bondsmen only to the Highest
And before the whole world free.
As our fathers trusted humbly,
Teach us, Lord, to trust Thee still:
Guard our land and guide our people
In Thy way to do Thy will.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
I have no clue what the difference is...

Hispanics in latin america are a combination of White Spanish, Native NOrth and South Americans, and Blacks...Some are whiter than others and others are blacker than others.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Yacov, this is getting ridiculous. Hispanic is a fine term because it is a simple, neutral way to classify all people of Spanish-speaking descent. You all are getting WAY too hung up on race. Most Hispanics (with the exception of most Argentines and Uruguayans) are what you would call "mestizo" (mixed white and indigenous). A LOT of Hispanics have varying levels of black blood too.

Being white does not make a Hispanic righteous either--there are an awful lof of anti-Semitic Argentines who have blond hair and blue eyes.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
She doesn't look latin, spanish or mexican.........whatever lable you wanna use. She looks anglo-keltic. I wouldn't feel right calling HER names...................unless someone can prove she's over 51% mexican, then I'll be happy to.
Newman, you are going more insane with each and every post.

Offline Ambiorix

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • There is no "Istanbul"
    • Brussels Journal
Newman, you are going more insane with each and every post.
Indeed. This sounds exactly like nazi-germany, where people had to prove their racial pureness, by proving no Jewish forefathers for 3(?) generations.
Shame on you.
Turkey must get out of NATO. NATO must get out of Kosovo-Serbia. Croats must get out of Crajina. All muslims must get out of Christian and Jewish land. Turks must get out of Cyprus. Turks must get out of "Istanbul". "Palestinians" must get out of Israel. Israel must become independent from USA.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
Alexis Bledel and her types are just the result of Europeans that settled in Central and South America. Most European migrants went to Uruguay, Argentina, Chile and Brazil. Many Lebanese Maronites also settled in S. America and are part of the prominent minority. Carlos Slim (Now the richest man in the world) is a Lebonese Maronite from Mexico.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Yacov, you are being silly. Nobody ever called Hispanic a "race". I said exactly what it is--a way to group people of Spanish-speaking background of all origins. Latin American Jews ARE Hispanic, because they speak Spanish and come from Spanish-speaking Latin countries.

Please show me the Latinos (of any race) who are upset about checking "Hispanic" on the census surveys.

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer

GLORY HELLELUJA!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou Chaim!

I (along with a great many peeved-off JTFers) applaud.

I'm with Newman on this one. How many absolutely pointless and ridiculous baning threads must there be? A complete embarrassment to this movement.  This kind of garbage makes it appear that we are all in the 4th grade.  If you are going to pull childish stuff like this then at least hide it on some forum that is buried very far away from the main forum.