Poll

Should the term "Hispanic" be banned and be replaced with "Latin American"?

Yes.
5 (20%)
No.
20 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Should the term "Hispanic" be banned and be replaced with "Latin American"?  (Read 12153 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
honestly if we are giong to be accurate about race, i like the terms caucesoid, negroid, mongoloid, australoid, etc...we should stick with that

And if we are talking about a causecoid, we say, he/she is a causecoid from Turkey...etc etc...

None of these subclasses are offensive.  Secondly, they are scientific..so if anyone is offended by science, well, they can just go to mars and live over there.

Of course we should use those terms.

so let's put these terms together describing race present it before the forum and see how it goes with the public.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
honestly if we are going to be accurate about race, i like the terms Caucasoid, negroid, mongoloid, Australoid, etc...we should stick with that

And if we are talking about a Caucasoid, we say, he/she is a Caucasoid from Turkey...etc etc...

None of these subclasses are offensive.  Secondly, they are scientific..so if anyone is offended by science, well, they can just go to mars and live over there.

so let's put these terms together describing race present it before the forum and see how it goes with the public.

We don't have to put them together. Physical Anthropologists have already done it for us.

i know can you post these subclasses for us
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline ape

• Senior JTFer
honestly if we are going to be accurate about race, i like the terms Caucasoid, negroid, mongoloid, Australoid, etc...we should stick with that

And if we are talking about a Caucasoid, we say, he/she is a Caucasoid from Turkey...etc etc...

We don't have to put them together. Physical Anthropologists have already done it for us.

They're not sub-classes. There are 4 human races. Those are the 4 you wrote above. Sub-classes are called sub-races and only divide members of the same race, not whites from blacks and other non-whites. They can be further broken down but I'm only familiar with the way Caucasoid and Negroid can be broken down. Caucasoids are broken down into Nordic, Alpine, and Mediterranean (They are also mixes of them such as Dinaric.) and Negroids are broken down into Congoids and Capoids, although Capoids are viewed by some people as a separate 5th race (The differences between Capoids and other blacks can be like the difference between Orientals and Caucasians.). I'm sure Congoids can be broken up into differnet features based on what part of Africa a black is from. Many East Africans have Caucasian features and look like Ethiopian Jews. They may be mixed.

For an in-depth of discussion of this, see http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php?topic=1113.105 . There is no reason for me to go through all of it all over again.

Yacov, much of "Latin" America has nothing to do with Latin. Many of them are mixed or pure Native american Indians. You may argue they speak a form of Latin, but I think hispanic is a better term since they are influenced by thr sp. language.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer

They're not sub-classes. There are 4 human races. Those are the 4 you wrote above. Sub-classes are called sub-races and only divide members of the same race, not whites from blacks and other non-whites. They can be further broken down but I'm only familiar with the way Caucasoid and Negroid can be broken down. Caucasoids are broken down into Nordic, Alpine, and Mediterranean (They are also mixes of them such as Dinaric.) and Negroids are broken down into Congoids and Capoids, although Capoids are viewed by some people as a separate 5th race (The differences between Capoids and other blacks can be like the difference between Orientals and Caucasians.). I'm sure Congoids can be broken up into differnet features based on what part of Africa a black is from. Many East Africans have Caucasian features and look like Ethiopian Jews. They may be mixed.

For an in-depth of discussion of this, see http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php?topic=1113.105 . There is no reason for me to go through all of it all over again.

Those are a bit old fashioned terms from what I read in my Physical Anthropology book, but some use them for a classification of a criminal or what not. These terms can still be used but are somewhat contradicting. Capoids are just indigenous Subsaharan Africans with somewhat more differentiation than people from the Congo imo. Most Capoids have Negro blood in them anyways, and are becoming extinct, so that term will lose it's validity. I don't really believe in subdiving terms like Nordic, Alpine, Mediterranean those are just people of that region with unique local variation and tendencies to people here and there, they are just adaptive processes imo. For example, you could have a person from a Nordic or Alpine region roughly have a similar biotype, but phenotypically vary. Oh well, "Hispanic" sounds like a good enough term for me.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
But the main problem with the term Hispanic is that people have a misconception that it is a race and it also gives a stigma of meaning "non-white", even if someone from Latin America is of Spanish or other European origin.

Yacov, it's really shameful that the media has done such a number on people that the majority see no problem with allowing Hispanic to be seen as an imaginary color 8;) of the racial spectrum. 

A perfect, paradigm example that Hispanic is seen as a race of humans: Police use the term "Hispanic" when referring to the phenotype of a suspect or person in pursuit of.  What is the color of "Hispanics"?  Don't all see that this is a term of political convenience and an insult to all other American groups that have assimilated into the Anglo culture of America?

The term is the epitome of anti-Americanism.  The saddest part of this fabled saga is that this term became apart of the U.S. census and thus the American mainstream during the "Reagan Revolution" ???.

Hispanic to me refers just to Spanish-speaking peoples. When Police use the term "Hispanic" for a crime committed by someone, it's rather committed from a Mestizo person not a European Spanish-speaking Hispanic like a Spaniard. I find it ridiculous to equate "Hispanic" to a phenotype, they must just mean a Mestizo person, I suppose. Mestizos are their own indigenous ethnic group and people.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
But the main problem with the term Hispanic is that people have a misconception that it is a race and it also gives a stigma of meaning "non-white", even if someone from Latin America is of Spanish or other European origin.

Yacov, it's really shameful that the media has done such a number on people that the majority see no problem with allowing Hispanic to be seen as an imaginary color 8;) of the racial spectrum. 

A perfect, paradigm example that Hispanic is seen as a race of humans: Police use the term "Hispanic" when referring to the phenotype of a suspect or person in pursuit of.  What is the color of "Hispanics"?  Don't all see that this is a term of political convenience and an insult to all other American groups that have assimilated into the Anglo culture of America?

The term is the epitome of anti-Americanism.  The saddest part of this fabled saga is that this term became apart of the U.S. census and thus the American mainstream during the "Reagan Revolution" ???.

Hispanic to me refers just to Spanish-speaking peoples. When Police use the term "Hispanic" for a crime committed by someone, it's rather committed from a Mestizo person not a European Spanish-speaking Hispanic like a Spaniard. I find it ridiculous to equate "Hispanic" to a phenotype, they must just mean a Mestizo person, I suppose. Mestizos are their own indigenous ethnic group and people.

No, Amerindians are the indigenous ethnic group and people. Their race is Oriental as are all American Indians. Mestizos are mixed race between Amerindian and white.

Yes, but the European immigrants that came was around the 15th century etc., these Europeans had local variation coming from all different backgrounds and regions that also mixed with Amerindians, so in a way I suppose you could say they both were indigenous, but you're right that the Amerindians in a stricter narrower sense refer to the indigenous people. Yes, American Indians are Oriental people, but I've heard some people say they are an ethnic group on their own that were once part of a Mongoloid race formation, that are differentiated than typical East Asian Orientals.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
You do know that not everyone is Spain speaks Spanish, right?
People there also speak Catalonian and Basque and not spanish...yet are Spaniards...are they "Hispanic"?
I and many other people do not consider spaniards "hispanic", they are just white.

Like I said a while back, when I was applying to school, under race/ethnicity "White" referred to anyone of European ancestry, including Spain and Portugal.

But aren't Basques not even Spaniard? They are their own unique people un-related to any other known European group. They don't speak a Romance language. Catalonian is just a regional dialect of Spanish. What we call Spanish is really also only one regional dialect: Castillian. But Castille dominated Spain so Castillian became Modern Spanish. I think Aragon was also a dialect at one time. These were all kingdoms before Spain was unified. Linguistically, all these dialects are no different than Portuguese so if Spain and Portugal were one country called Iberia, we would call the dominant language Iberian and the people Iberians. It just happens to be that when the differnet regions of Iberia were unified, Portugal was not included so therefore it became it's own country and not included in Spain.

I consider Basques native and indigenous to Spain so in a way they are somewhat Spanish, except the language is very different.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer

I consider Basques native and indigenous to Spain so in a way they are somewhat Spanish, except the language is very different.

So would you say they are also "hispanic" since they are from Spain?

Well, to be honest what comes to mind when I either hear "Hispanic" or "Latino" I think of Mestizo. So I guess not, no. Though they both speak Spanish ;D  ;)

"Hispanic" should be used for Mestizos and if you want you can also include Latin American Indians from Latin America imo. European-Latin Americans are rather European.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member

Maybe what we can try to do is create an outline and give examples of nations that contain certain races and maybe give an example of a famous person who fits the description...

Basically list it as so:

caucesoid
-Nordic: nation, famous person as example. 
-etc
-etc
Negroid
-congoid
etc
etc
etc

We should do this as a separate post and it shoudl be written in a simple manner like we are taking notes for class.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member

Maybe what we can try to do is create an outline and give examples of nations that contain certain races and maybe give an example of a famous person who fits the description...

Basically list it as so:

caucesoid
-Nordic: nation, famous person as example. 
-etc
-etc
Negroid
-congoid
etc
etc
etc

We should do this as a separate post and it shoudl be written in a simple manner like we are taking notes for class.

We already have that at the thread I linked to.

it's not detailed to the point that woudl help others to understand the terms.

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
Spain technicly means all Iberia, that's why Portugese king Manuel protested when Ferdinand of Arragon  and Isabella of Castille/Leon started to use the title of Catholic Kings of Espanias; so Hispanic can theriticly mean Brazilain too althou Iberian American  woud be better... 1/3 of Argentinians however are descending from Italy they're Latin not Iberians  but they're also many etnic Poles around 1 000 000  mainly in Brazilia Haw we can call them Hispanic? I prefer to use therm North and South American but latin American which is culture not ethnic or racial term is good too. BTW Catalan is not dialect of Spanish (Castilan is used only inside Spain) you can get solid beating in Barcelona for voicing such opinions. ::) You can call mesticos who don't speak spanish metis and those who do Mexicans 80% percent of them are mix of white and Indian.
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
Spain technicly means all Iberia, that's why Portugese king Manuel protested when Ferdinand of Arragon  and Isabella of Castille/Leon started to use the title of Catholic Kings of Espanias; so Hispanic can theriticly mean Brazilain too althou Iberian American  woud be better... 1/3 of Argentinians however are descending from Italy they're Latin not Iberians  but they're also many etnic Poles around 1 000 000  mainly in Brazilia Haw we can call them Hispanic? I prefer to use therm North and South American but latin American which is culture not ethnic or racial term is good too. BTW Catalan is not dialect of Spanish (Castilan is used only inside Spain) you can get solid beating in Barcelona for voicing such opinions. ::) You can call mesticos who don't speak spanish metis and those who do Mexicans 80% percent of them are mix of white and Indian.

Yeah that's true about Catala! Its not a dialect of Spanish!
Are you Catalonian, Ultra Requete?
Just curious because I might be... ::)

None I'm avare of, but here in Europe we have dozens of nations, dialects and regionalismes and you must be careful to not confuse them from the others  becouse for ex some Corsicans can be very rude when you'll call them Frogs ::), When mayor  countries are sinking under wave of execive mu-slime  imigration and EU is taking absolute power every  village and mountain valley wants "independance"  Good luck for them. ::) I'm atlest 75% Polish and I don't care about the rest becouse I love my culture. ;)     
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm