Author Topic: Manhattan Shops Accepting Euros  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
Manhattan Shops Accepting Euros
« on: February 07, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080206/us_nm/newyork_euros_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters) - In the latest example that the U.S. dollar just ain't what it used to be, some shops in New York City have begun accepting euros and other foreign currency as payment for merchandise.
ADVERTISEMENT

"We had decided that money is money and we'll take it and just do the exchange whenever we can with our bank," Robert Chu, owner of East Village Wines, told Reuters television.

The increasingly weak U.S. dollar, once considered the king among currencies, has brought waves of European tourists to New York with money to burn and looking to take advantage of hugely favorable exchange rates.

"We didn't realize we would take so much in and there were that many people traveling or having euros to bring in. But some days, you'd be surprised at how many euros you get," Chu said.

"Now we have to get familiar with other currencies and the (British) pound and the Canadian dollars we take," he said.

While shops in many U.S. towns on the Canadian border have long accepted Canadian currency and some stores on the Texas-Mexico border take pesos, the acceptance of foreign money in Manhattan was unheard of until recently.

Not far from Chu's downtown wine emporium, Billy Leroy of Billy's Antiques & Props said the vast numbers of Europeans shopping in the neighborhood got him thinking, "My G-d, I should take euros in at the store."

Leroy doesn't even bother to exchange them.

"I'm happy if I take in 200 euros, because what I do is keep them," he said. "So when I go back to Paris, I don't have to go through the nightmare of going to an exchange place."

(Reporting by Angela Moore, writing by Bill Berkrot; Editing by Doina Chiacu)

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
Re: Manhattan Shops Accepting Euros
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »
WE NEED THE GOLD STANDARD AND/OR TARIFFS NOW!

You know that that's not going to happen...

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »

You were just making fun of Ron Paul and the PaleoCons for saying that????  Are you being sarcastic??

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 12:10:31 PM »
Economically, Ron Paul had a good point..but that's it.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 11:40:02 PM »
This is unbelievable!

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 12:08:21 AM »
I am telling you all do some work with gold, the dollar is in trouble, gold is up to now 906.14 or so.  Gold is climbing to record levels and the dollar is becoming equal to tissue paper
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 12:24:34 AM »
I am telling you all do some work with gold, the dollar is in trouble, gold is up to now 906.14 or so.  Gold is climbing to record levels and the dollar is becoming equal to tissue paper

What's your stance on Fed interest rates, Wolf?

The U.S. Dollar has taken such a massive hit in the global economy.  I remember years back for 1 U.S. dollar you could trade for well almost 2.10 Canadian, some places more in Canada.  Now it is just about dead even same with the Euro. And now the idea of having a NORTH AMERICAN COIN its going to come to a point your dollar will have about as much value as chewing gum.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline dejavu

• Full JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 04:40:14 AM »
Well... i as well am a believer that the dollar is circling the drain and briann i am still interested in a response in this other thread that someone moved... so i will put a link to it.

http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php?topic=15814.0

The fed interest rates are a minor short term gain for a horrendous long term effect.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 11:25:56 AM »
I think the Fed cuts are necessary at this point to stimulate the economy.  Hopefully by the end of the year, growth and even some infationary pressures, will cause the Fed to start raising rates again.  If not the recession we might already be in will not be a mild one, and we'll really be in trouble.  I think Gold remains an excellent long-term investment, but with the recent run-up I would remain cautious because it can turn on a dime pretty quickly.

Offline ASHISH

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 04:03:02 PM »
In 2000 $1 was equal to 60 indian rupees now $1 is equal to 39 rupees
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:09:29 PM by ASHISH »

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 04:13:38 PM »

I agree.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 04:16:06 PM »
6 months ago 1$ was 4.2 Sheckles in Israel now it is 3.65
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh