Author Topic: Meat and Dairy rules  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Maimonides

• Pro JTFer
  • The Greatest Jewish Sage
Meat and Dairy rules
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:11:20 AM »
Shalom everyone.

I would like to know what is the proper way to separate eating a dairy and meat meal.

Is there a specific waiting time between each meal?

Or is merely cleaning ones mouth of any let's say meat residue sufficient to then eat a dairy meal?

“You must accept the truth from whatever source it comes”- Maimonides

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
Re: Meat and Dairy rules
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:16:48 AM »
Usually there is a 4 hour wait after dairy (unless it's hard cheese which most never eat) and a 6 hour wait after meat. Some of the more strict will wait 6 hours between either. Some of the more lenient will wait at least 45 minutes after dairy (with the exception of hard cheese) but all wait 6 hours after meat because it takes longer to digest.

Also, all meat or dairy dishes from the previous meal must be washed and put away and all other previous food must be put away. So if there is meat, all dairy items must be out of sight and put away. If it is dairy, all meat items must be out of sight and put away.

I think a lot of people will also brush and floss or eat something parve (something that is not meat or dairy) in between.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:21:39 AM »
Pretty much everyone waits 6 hours in between meat and dairy (except for, to my knowledge, German and Dutch Jews who wait 3).  Besides hard cheese (where the rule is 6 hours), the rule is one hour in between dairy and meat.  It is a good thing to do to rinse your mouth out, but it's not absolutely required if you're waiting the full hour.  The most lenient opinion, to my knowledge, says that you have to wait at least the majority of one hour (31 minutes), and rinse your mouth out.

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »
Adding to this, Ashkenazi waits 6 hours after dairy and Sefardic custom waits 4 hours after dairy (with the exception of hard cheese which no one really eats anymore).
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 01:34:15 PM »
Adding to this, Ashkenazi waits 6 hours after dairy and Sefardic custom waits 4 hours after dairy (with the exception of hard cheese which no one really eats anymore).
I've never heard of anyone waiting 6 hours after dairy.  According to whose opinion is this?

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 01:58:04 PM »
Neither 4. Usually 30 minutes + cleaning mouth.

to be more precise -
 From Sefardic Kitzur Shulhan Aruch (english page 334, law 11)

"One who drank milk or ate any dairy product is permitted to eat meat immediately, thereafter. However, one should clense the mouth by chewing bread or a fruit and then rinsing with water. One should rinse one's hands, even if one ate with a utensil."

law 12- talks about cheese, same as top, but its customary to wait an hour if meat, and not wait if a meat dish without meat. 
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 02:27:23 PM »
My custom is about 6 hours after meat and no time after dairy if you rinse your mouth with water. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 09:50:05 PM »

to be more precise -

"One who drank milk or ate any dairy product is permitted to eat meat immediately, thereafter. However, one should clense the mouth by chewing bread or a fruit and then rinsing with water. One should rinse one's hands, even if one ate with a utensil."

law 12- talks about cheese, same as top, but its customary to wait an hour if meat, and not wait if a meat dish without meat.

Good find, Tzvi. In Israel, they always made us wait 45 minutes and told us it was best to wait 4 hours unless it was hard cheese. I wonder why?

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 10:45:57 PM »

to be more precise -

Good find, Tzvi. In Israel, they always made us wait 45 minutes and told us it was best to wait 4 hours unless it was hard cheese. I wonder why?

No problem, its easy- just open the Sefardic Kitzur Shulhan Aruch, look by the subject, go to the page, find he Halacha and state it. (If you need something in the future, you can pm, or im me). Also many Halachot available on dailyhalacha.com .

About you in Israel. Maybe its becuase they had a different custome. Or maybe they dont know the halacha and just guessed. Could be anything.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/