Author Topic: Preparing for Shabbat (a Few laws)  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
Preparing for Shabbat (a Few laws)
« on: February 26, 2008, 10:43:31 PM »
Preparing For Shabbat

General Approach

1. =Awe Of Shabbat
A) We are commanded in the Torah “My Shabbat shall you observe and the Sanctuary shall you hold in awe.” (Leviticus 26:2) Sefer Yere’im explains what’s the connection between Shabbat and the Bet Hamikdash? Just as Hashem has commanded us to hold in awe and honor the Bet Hamikdash, so to He commanded regard to Shabbat.

B) How does awe of Shabbat manifest itself? By having a deep concern for its honor and observance. The fear experienced is not of the Shabbat itself, but of He who commanded us to observe it.

2. =Looking forward to Shabbat

A) There is an interesting comparison made by the Or Hachaim in that, in Exodus 31:16 it says “The children of Israel shall keep the Shabbat” and in Genesis 37:11 it says about the reaction that Yakov hearing Yosef’s dream. “and his father kept the matter (in mind)”. and Rashi explains on these two verses as follows: Just like Yakov waited in anticipation for the time when Yosef dreams would be fulfilled. Similarly, a person should keep Shabbat in mind and look forward to it with eager anticipation.

B) There is also a verse in Exodus that says “to make the Shabbat” The question is how does one make Shabbat? One makes Shabbat by preparing in advance whatever one needs, so that it will be worthy of honoring Shabbat. (Rabbeinu Bachaye).

3. = Remembering Shabbat During the week

A) It says “Remember the Shabbat day and keep it holy” (Exodus 20:8)
The Ramban says that this means that we should remember the Shabbat during the entire week. And if you look at the Hebrew language, the days of the week don’t have a specific name. Rather they are called the day after Shabbat. For example, Sunday is referred to as “the first day after Shabbat“. etc.

4.= Leaving the best for Shabbat

A) There is a story about Shamai the Elder and that every day of his life he ate in the honor of Shabbat. How is that? Its said that about him because when he used to be in the marketplace and he came across a suitable animal, he would say “this is for Shabbat”. Then the next day he would come across an even better looking animal, so he bought that one for Shabbat and the one that he bought the day before he would eat for dinner. And he used to do this every day.

B) Nowadays when you go shopping and buy food say “LeKavod Shabbat” (in the honor of Shabbat). And in this way you will be having Shabbat in mind all week.

5.= Washing clothes.

A) Ezra the scribe laid down the rule that people should wash their clothing on Thursday in honor of Shabbat. They shouldn’t wait for Friday so that they would have time with other preparations for Shabbat. However, nowadays there is no problem in doing the laundry on Friday because we have washing machines. But in the olden days they didn’t have washing machines and would do the laundry by hand which would take up a lot of time, that’s why they were told to do it on Thursday.

6.= Buying For Shabbat

A) It is better to buy what one needs for Shabbat on Friday, rather then Thursday. In this way one is buying in honor of Shabbat. However this applies to things that don’t require a lot of preparation. The things that need a lot of preparation like meat and fish should be bought on Thursday.

7.= Starting early on Friday

A) While Bnei Yisrael were in the desert it says that they collected the mann (their food) for Shabbat on Friday morning. This teaches us that we should start preparing for Shabbat early, right after morning prayers is preferable.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/