Author Topic: Jewish basketball team may forfeit title over Sabbath  (Read 1219 times)

Offline FULL METAL JACKET

• Senior JTFer
Jewish basketball team may forfeit title over Sabbath
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:41:10 PM »
DENVER (AP) -- State senators have taken up the cause of a Jewish boys basketball team whose playoff run may be halted because its players can't play on the Jewish Sabbath.

The Herzl/Rocky Mountain Hebrew Academy team could be headed for a regional championship on Saturday, March 8, if it wins one more game. But the Denver team's religious beliefs prohibit students from playing on the Jewish Sabbath between sundown Friday and sundown Saturday.

If Herzl/RMHA makes it to the regional championship and refuses to play a Saturday game, another school would be chosen to take its place, CHSAA commissioner Bill Reader said.

Earlier this month, the Colorado High School Activities Association, which governs sports and other high school activities, rejected the team's request for a schedule change.

At the end of morning debate in the state Senate on Wednesday, Majority Leader Ken Gordon, D-Denver, called on the CHSAA to be more flexible.

Senate President Peter Groff, D-Denver, said the CHSAA's decision was ironic because it has a rule barring games from being played on Sunday for religious reasons.

Sen. Tom Wiens, R-Sedalia, said there must be a way for the CHSAA to accommodate the team.

"It just seems like the bureaucracy has run amok here," Wiens said.

Bruce H. DeBoskey, mountain states regional director for the Anti-Defamation League, said the group was disappointed by CHSAA's decision.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/02/27/sabbath.colorado.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

So unfair! Especially since Christians can get accommodations on Sundays.
Formely known as "1986"

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Jewish basketball team may forfeit title over Sabbath
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 11:57:04 PM »
It is unfair. I think if they fight this one they can win legally though.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 11:59:49 PM »
Yes, I saw this story.  You beat me to posting it.  Hopefully they can work around the schedule.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 11:59:57 PM »
It is unfair. I think if they fight this one they can win legally though.

yes, if they try hard enough probably.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 02:24:40 AM »
They shoulda had the title game on Kwanzaa!!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 05:25:59 PM »
They shouldn't play for sure, even if hey wont and dont end up being champs because of it, its to their credit they will make a Kiddush Hashe-m.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 08:46:32 PM »
They shouldn't play for sure, even if hey wont and dont end up being champs because of it, its to their credit they will make a Kiddush Hashem.

Right!

Don't sell your soul to the devil for a championship.
They won't really be the winners if they do that.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Eliezer Ben Avraham

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 11:22:01 PM »
They shouldn't play for sure, even if hey wont and dont end up being champs because of it, its to their credit they will make a Kiddush Hashem.
Yea, this is somewhat similar to that Canadian hockey player who had the same problem, but his Rabbi said he could walk to the game and play
KAHANE TZADAK!