Author Topic: Question: GOP primaries/Conservative Party  (Read 758 times)

Offline dhimmi_pride

• Senior JTFer
Question: GOP primaries/Conservative Party
« on: March 03, 2008, 01:55:06 AM »

Given the state of the GOP I have been thinking of re-registering with the Conservative Party in New York. Will I still be able to vote in the Republican primaries if I do?

Offline firster555

• Senior JTFer
Re: Question: GOP primaries/Conservative Party
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 06:54:10 PM »
NO. You must be registered in a party to vote in that parties primary in NY. I was a member of the NY State Conservative party back in the late 80's and early 90's. I was actually on the state committee. I ended up leaving because basically they just turned into a rubber stamp for the republican party. It was an extremely rare occassion when an actual conservative party candidate ran for any office, they usually just supported the republicans. Senator Maltese was once the Queens chairman. He was to run for the senate as a conservative party candidate. When he went to the Republican party for a spot on their ticket also as many republicans candidates end up on the condservative ticket the republican party told him they would only give him the spot if he resigned as Conservative chairman of Queens.
In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man. Brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.

Offline firster555

• Senior JTFer
Re: Question: GOP primaries/Conservative Party
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:06:20 PM »
Sorry, accidentally did not finish that post. Anyway, he did resign from the conservative party chair and became the republican senator.
So, principle wise, yes to the conservative party, in actual practice much work would need to be done, as far as voting in primaries, in NY you can only vote in the party you are registered in.
As I said, I was a member in the late 80's and early 90's so I don't know how much has changed since then. There were many good conservatives involved but like anything, the ultimate decisions come down to the leadership.
In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man. Brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.