Author Topic: Heartburn  (Read 2492 times)

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
Heartburn
« on: March 04, 2008, 02:10:41 PM »
What do you know about it?

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Heartburn
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 05:45:12 PM »
Drink milk and it goes.

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 06:10:57 PM »
Drink milk and it goes.

It goes for a short time, it depends on what you are having heartburn from.

Or even if its heartburn.

It can be a number of things.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:15:30 PM »
Too much salt intake?

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:23:22 PM »
RT, check out www.webmd.com.  From what I remember, avoid eating before bed, spicy or fried foods, acidic foods, and chocolate/coffee/caffeine.  Also ask your Doctor just to double check it isn't anything more serious.  Keep up the great work in the forum.  Be well.

Ari

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 11:41:56 AM »
I can't think of anything that I eat that's spicy or fried. I don't really drink coffee and I drink much less caffeine now than a few years ago; I used to drink a lot of soda but not anymore.  I rarely eat chocolate.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 11:42:29 AM »

Please explain more

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 06:00:18 PM »
Everyone experiences "heartburn" on occassion, from overeating, too much hot sauce, etc..

The serious variety is caused from "acid reflux syndrome of the esophagus", which may or may not be linked to a hiatal hernia, which would allow food to "back up" into the esophagus.

The constant discomfort can lead to more serious problems.

The most serious of all is cancer of the esophagus, in which the repeated and long-term acid reflux creates ulcers and deteriorates the lining of the esophagus.

Most cases are seen late in life, and many also involve heavy intake of alcohol and tobacco use.

More common will be such symptoms as dental erosion caused from regurgitating stomach acid while asleep.

Over the counter meds should be used, such as Zantac, Prilosec, etc., which block stomach acid production, are relatively harmless, and last an entire day.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 08:37:46 PM »
Everyone experiences "heartburn" on occassion, from overeating, too much hot sauce, etc..

The serious variety is caused from "acid reflux syndrome of the esophagus", which may or may not be linked to a hiatal hernia, which would allow food to "back up" into the esophagus.

The most serious of all is cancer of the esophagus, in which the repeated and long-term acid reflux creates ulcers and deteriorates the lining of the esophagus.

Most cases are seen late in life, and many also involve heavy intake of alcohol and tobacco use.

More common will be such symptoms as dental erosion caused from regurgitating stomach acid while asleep.

Over the counter meds should be used, such as Zantac, Prilosec, etc., which block stomach acid production, are relatively harmless, and last an entire day.

What he said  ;)

Plus it may not be ingestion  at all can be cardiac

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 01:34:25 AM »

What he said  ;)

Plus it may not be ingestion  at all can be cardiac

This will not cheer RT up.  Make sure you get it checked out.

Just Erica

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 11:25:12 AM »
Drink milk and it goes.

I agree. Yesterday morning I woke up with a terrible pain in my chest, under my left rib cage (behind my breast). I didn't know what it was. It could have been heartburn, I could have been having a mild heart attack, or it could have been gas. As a precaution, my husband left work, went to the store and bought me some Gas-X (just in case it was gas) and Bayer Asprin (just in case it was something more serious.) The Gas-x actually worked right on the spot (which probably meant that it was gas). But it never hurts to do research on subjects such as heartburn...it could be a possibility that anything can be going wrong.

Hope this information helps....
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/heartburn-relief-7-questions-ask-your-pharmacist

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »
I migt have had it, from too much acidic drinks. e.g. too much cartoned  cranberry juice.  can happen from too much cartoned orange juice.

Got stabbing pains in the chest. Similar then to some symptoms of heart attack. 

I Did not get a feeling like somebody was clutching my arm, so I was not -too- worried.. And did not get anything in the neck.

One time I had it and had slight pain when even sipping some alcoholic drink. I could not leave the drink on the table. I had to finish it, so just added lots of water to it, then I could drink it without pain.

So, water helped relieve it. I do not know what caused it that day.

But I know I got horrendous acid like problems, probably heartburn. In the days when I drank huge amounts of cartoned cranberry juice. Don`t worry though if you have not had it. You would know.

I had stabbing pain, and a situation where if I breathed too deeply it hurt. so i had to take small breaths.

Did not need a doctor, just do shallow breathing, and avoid the food/drink that caused it. And drink water should help relieve it. Maybe milk as somebody suggested.

It is an acid thing i think.

Just Erica

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »
I migt have had it, from too much acidic drinks. e.g. too much cartoned  cranberry juice.  can happen from too much cartoned orange juice.

Got stabbing pains in the chest. Similar then to some symptoms of heart attack. 

I Did not get a feeling like somebody was clutching my arm, so I was not -too- worried.. And did not get anything in the neck.

One time I had it and had slight pain when even sipping some alcoholic drink. I could not leave the drink on the table. I had to finish it, so just added lots of water to it, then I could drink it without pain.

So, water helped relieve it. I do not know what caused it that day.

But I know I got horrendous acid like problems, probably heartburn. In the days when I drank huge amounts of cartoned cranberry juice. Don`t worry though if you have not had it. You would know.

I had stabbing pain, and a situation where if I breathed too deeply it hurt. so i had to take small breaths.

Did not need a doctor, just do shallow breathing, and avoid the food/drink that caused it. And drink water should help relieve it. Maybe milk as somebody suggested.

It is an acid thing i think.

I think it's an acid thing also, q_q_. I remember when I was younger having the same problem... if I inhaled too deeply, my chest (under the center of my rib cage) would hurt. I remember one time I couldn't inhale or exhale because it hurt too much. But I also had to understand that I had a pretty good exercise regimine in high school... drills everyday for ROTC, and running around our track for PT tests. It could also have been a lack of water intake.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 01:25:47 PM »
I heard that exercise can make the body more acidic.
And I recall reading something to that effect in biology class when I was 15 or 16. About anaerobic respiration. And muscles aching because they filled with acid.

A good experiemt would be to put a piece of litmus paper on your tongue when you have such an episode. Contrast that to normal times.

One thing that exercise can cause though is a muscular stitch. Common places are stomach and shoulder. Muscle does not get enough oxygen and gives some pain.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 05:31:51 PM »
Yep q_q_ it's lactic acid. It causes muscle cramps and fatigue and accumalation of it in the body is bad, and the oxygen has to be paid back to the body.

When the glucose has to break down by itself, because of lack of oxygen in proportion to the physical work being carried out, the Lactic acid is formed alongside energy.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 05:47:15 PM »
Yep q_q_ it's lactic acid. It causes muscle cramps and fatigue and accumalation of it in the body is bad, and the oxygen has to be paid back to the body.

When the glucose has to break down by itself, because of lack of oxygen in proportion to the physical work being carried out, the Lactic acid is formed alongside energy.

That was it !    You are about the age I was when I was reading it in the GCSE biology textbooks.  Good luck with the GCSEs?!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 12:13:52 AM »

I am impressed Sarah good girl  O0

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 03:23:55 PM »

That was it !    You are about the age I was when I was reading it in the GCSE biology textbooks.  Good luck with the GCSEs?!

Thanks.
I can't wait until I finish my GCSE's.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 04:54:15 PM »

How many times per day should one of those meds be taken?

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 07:35:55 PM »
Re:  "...How many times per day should one of those meds be taken?"

Use as directed.