Author Topic: Happy Kwanzaa  (Read 10401 times)

Offline Johnson Brown

• Senior JTFer
Happy Kwanzaa
« on: December 24, 2006, 06:01:17 PM »
Happy Kwanzaa

wonderfulgoy

Re: Happy Kwanzaa
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 10:11:55 PM »

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 10:02:24 PM »
Every Kwanzaa, I eat a bucket of fried chicken and half a watermelon to celebrate.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 10:51:19 PM »
Happy Kwanzaa
I fought y'all said y'all didn't no what Kwanzaa be!

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.
- Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L, HY"D

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 10:57:21 PM »
Every Kwanzaa, I eat a bucket of fried chicken and half a watermelon to celebrate.

You too huh? What about collard greens, coz you gots to be healthy and s^^t. What do you drink? I drink Kool Aid and Orange Soda. ;D

Offline fjack

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 05:11:37 PM »
I would not eat some much watermelon with that fried chicken, it may give you a severe case of the runs. You could try some grits with that chicken, it will not give you a loose tummy and you will be compliant with the dietary laws of kwanzaa. You may have watermelon as soon as you get up in the morning along with a 40 ounce of malt liquor, that will keep you regular. Remember a healthy body a healthy mind, if you haven't lost it already.

newman

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 05:28:58 PM »
Why don't white rednecks start a holiday...................?

"KKKlansa" :::D :::D

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 06:37:25 PM »
Kwanzaa copies off of East Africa but American blacks are from West Africa.
You really think "Dr." Karenga, inventor of the "Kinarah" and the "Mazao" knew geography?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:58:20 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »

One does not deal with terrorists; one does not bargain with terrorists; one kills terrorists.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 06:46:29 PM »
Why don't white rednecks start a holiday...................?

"KKKlansa" :::D :::D
What would they burn instead of a kinara?
Oh...yeah...I remember now  ;)
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Just Erica

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 01:04:49 PM »
lol Have any of you actually looked up what Kwanzaa means to some in the African American community?

I know and realize that Kwanzaa isn't seen as a real holiday to everyone but I really respect the message Kwanzaa sends to the black community, and those who pay attention to it.

For example, the 7 Principles are just what some of you would like to see in the black community...

NGUZO SABA
(The Seven Principles) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Umoja (Unity)
To strive for and maintain unity in the family, community, nation and race.
  Kujichagulia (Self-Determination)
To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves and speak for ourselves.
  Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility)
To build and maintain our community together and make our brother's and sister's problems our problems and to solve them together.
  Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics)
To build and maintain our own stores, shops and other businesses and to profit from them together.
  Nia (Purpose)
To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.
  Kuumba (Creativity)
To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.
  Imani (Faith)
To believe with all our heart in our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.
            ­ Maulana Karenga 

From what I've read here over the months of my being here (before I left...AGAIN) that most of you think that evil blacks should build themselves up and stop tearing their own neighborhoods down and helping to make our country worse off. Can someone here pick out something from the 7 principles that is negative?

As for Kwanzaa's Kinara, I understand that it looks like the Menorah of Judaism. I don't think that what it looks like is as important as what the meaning of it is. In Judaism, the 8 candles placed in the Menorah are lit by the 9th candle, the Shamash during Hanukkah's 8 day celebration and observance. That is a well- respected tradition passed down from hundreds of years before Kwanzaa was even thought of. Not much different, the Kinara has 7 candles lit each day in observance of each principle each candle represents. What's the difference between both candle holders? The fact that a Hebrew chant is spoken during the lighting of each of the 8 candles the Menorah houses. I wish I could speak Hebrew (because I don't know what the words mean)...if someone doesn't mind translating it, I would appreciate it. :)

On the other hand, during the observance of Kwanzaa, while each candle is being lit on it's day to be lit, one of the 7 principles are read aloud by different family members.

Yes, Kwanzaa is not a 'real' holiday by a lot of people's standards. But at least there are some people taking it's principles to heart.

BTW:

Fried Chicken, Watermelon or other stereotypical black foods aren't eaten during Kwanzaa.
The last time I celebrated Kwanzaa was 17 years ago when I was in a high school to college program held at a university in Chicago. What was served as a 'feast' there wasn't what you would think it would be. We ate fruit, nuts, corn and I few other items I can't remember, but there was no meat.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 02:09:01 PM »
Then it should be celebrated by the black community.
Why does a discussion of it have to be part of the elementary school education?  >:(
I don't think all cultures and traditions are covered...as a routine.

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Just Erica

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 03:31:35 PM »
Why does a discussion of it have to be part of the elementary school education?  >:(

Would you like Judaism to be researched by children or even discussed in schools so that children learn about your culture/ religion? I think its fair the way things are taught in elementary and secondary schools where different cultures are concerned. Sure, Kwanzaa should be celebrated by the black community, no doubt. But there are children who also learn about other cultures and how they celebrate different traditions and such in schools.

Every year, my children bring home information about Hanukkah. They read about it, then do activities that are based on the holiday. I think that's wonderful. They didn't recieve a dradel this time around though, they usually make their own.

My point is that I don't see a reason to get upset about another culture being introduced to kids. Learning about other cultures facilitates friendships. :)

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 03:35:39 PM »

Would you like Judaism to be researched by children or even discussed in schools so that children learn about your culture/ religion? I think its fair the way things are taught in elementary and secondary schools where different cultures are concerned. Sure, Kwanzaa should be celebrated by the black community, no doubt. But there are children who also learn about other cultures and how they celebrate different traditions and such in schools.

Every year, my children bring home information about Hanukkah. They read about it, then do activities that are based on the holiday. I think that's wonderful. They didn't recieve a dradel this time around though, they usually make their own.

My point is that I don't see a reason to get upset about another culture being introduced to kids. Learning about other cultures facilitates friendships. :)

I don't think it's great.

I don't want to have the goverment to force Gentile children to learn about Hannukah just as i don't want my children to be forced to learn about Christmas or Kwanzaa.

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Just Erica

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 03:42:49 PM »

I don't want to have the goverment to force Gentile children to learn about Hannukah just as i don't want my children to be forced to learn about Christmas or Kwanzaa.

Why do you see it as forcing children to learn about other cultures? You and many people here have actually told me that there is a benefit to learning about other cultures/ religions, namely the ones you follow. Are children to wait until they grow up to understand that different cultures exist?

Edited to Add:

Christmas where it pertains to religion isn't talked about in schools because of the Separation of Church and State. They DO, however learn about Christmas as it pertains to how different cultures celebrate it. Kwanzaa isn't a religious holiday, its a holiday built on changing the way the black community does things every year whether its focusing on black parents being better parents, Children taking care of their streets, or blacks uniting to clean up stereotypes. If you don't like that some schools teach or encourage students to get a long by way of getting to know their culture that is your right as a parent. I love the idea that my children get to learn about your culture or anyone else's culture.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:51:33 PM by Just Erica »

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »

Why do you see it as forcing children to learn about other cultures? You and many people here have actually told me that there is a benefit to learning about other cultures/ religions, namely the ones you follow. Are children to wait until they grow up to understand that different cultures exist?

Of course, once their brains are more formed.

It doesn't bother you that your children are learning about religions you don't beleive in?

Just Erica

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 03:56:06 PM »

It doesn't bother you that your children are learning about religions you don't beleive in?
No, because they learn to respect others by learning about people. If my children were never taught that Hanukkah was a tradition celebrated by people who practice Judaism, and why and what goes on during the celebration, and they walked up to your child (if you have any) and said something ignorant like : "We're Christians! We don't follow your G-d and YOUR G-d is dumb!" What would you say?

And who said I didn't believe in Judaism? Just because I choose not to practice it dosen't mean I don't believe in it. I'm a Christian after all. The last time I checked, we all had the right to choose which religion we want to follow. This is also why it pays to get aquainted with other cultures. Also, I'm not forcing my children to become Christian. Right now they're learning what it's like to be Christian but I dont' demand that they become Christians. Who knows? Maybe in their adulthood they'll opt to convert to or follow Judaism. I'll be fine with that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 04:04:28 PM by Just Erica »

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 04:03:37 PM »

No, because they learn to respect others by learning about people. If my children were never taught that Hanukkah was a tradition celebrated by people who practice Judaism, and why and what goes on during the celebration, and they walked up to your child (if you have any) and said something ignorant like : "We're Christians! We don't follow your G-d and YOUR G-d is dumb!" What would you say?

And who said I didn't believe in Judaism? Just because I choose not to practice it dosen't mean I don't believe in it. I'm a Christian after all.
Christians don't believe in Judaism.

Just Erica

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 04:06:08 PM »

And who said I didn't believe in Judaism? Just because I choose not to practice it dosen't mean I don't believe in it. I'm a Christian after all.
Well I, as a Christian, respect Judaism. But wait, aren't there a lot of Christians here also? I haven't seen many speak negatively about Judaism.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »

Well I, as a Christian, respect Judaism. But wait, aren't there a lot of Christians here also? I haven't seen many speak negatively about Judaism.
A Christian does not believe in Judaism, or he's not a Christian.  Just as a Jew does not believe in Christianity, or he's not a Jew.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »

True.

Your statement is quite perplexing in all respects.

You wouldn't mind your children converting out of your faith is interesting. I would definitely mind if my children converted to any other religion. You are much more liberal than me.

And if your children made the statements you described above, I owuld be not impressed and not surprised. I don't expect Non-Jews to like or respect Jews, but to quote Malcolm X "If they put a hand on me, I'll send them to the graveyard."

See, I have learned about other cultures. I've listened to Malcolm X speeches.

Just Erica

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 04:18:36 PM »

A Christian does not believe in Judaism, or he's not a Christian.  Just as a Jew does not believe in Christianity, or he's not a Jew.
And? Does that mean that you would send the Christians here packing from this website because they don't practice Judaism? I doubt it. I respect everyone's culture/ religion/ race/ creed. I'm not here to tell you your religion is wrong...that's not my job.

Just Erica

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 04:21:06 PM »

True.

Your statement is quite perplexing in all respects.

You wouldn't mind your children converting out of your faith is interesting. I would definitely mind if my children converted to any other religion. You are much more liberal than me.

And if your children made the statements you described above, I owuld be not impressed and not surprised. I don't expect Non-Jews to like or respect Jews, but to quote Malcolm X "If they put a hand on me, I'll send them to the graveyard."

See, I have learned about other cultures. I've listened to Malcolm X speeches.

You wouldn't be surprised or impressed because you expect everyone who isn't Jewish to hate you. My point of bringing that question up is because people and even children who say things like that are ignorant. They don't know any better because they didn't do any research, nor were they taught any different.

Offline OdKahaneChai

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 04:28:55 PM »

And? Does that mean that you would send the Christians here packing from this website because they don't practice Judaism? I doubt it. I respect everyone's culture/ religion/ race/ creed. I'm not here to tell you your religion is wrong...that's not my job.
Ok, but then don't say that you believe in Judaism.

Just Erica

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 05:08:58 PM »

Ok, but then don't say that you believe in Judaism.
Look, what I'm saying is that I believe that Judaism is a REAL religion. Why is it offensive to you that I respect your religion? And like I said, just because I'm not practicing your religion doesn't mean that I may not at some point in my life. That's why I research different religions. It pays to know what you're talking about when you engage in conversations about religion. Which goes back to why children couldn't be hurt by learning about other religions.

Just Erica

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 10:34:08 PM »

The whole idea of Hanukkah is to fight AGAINST multiculturalism. It is the most "politically incorrect" of all Jewish holidays.

Why does everything with you have to be 'politically correct...this or that'? If that's the case, why welcome black people [or anyone] who desire to be converted into your faith when they're from another culture? By accepting them, you are buying into multiculturism. You will have accepted someone from another culture to learn about, dive into and partake of a religion YOU hold dear. Please explain your post.