Author Topic: How Does One Decide On The Best Career Path?  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
How Does One Decide On The Best Career Path?
« on: March 13, 2008, 10:01:44 PM »
How do you know what it is you are meant to be doing professionally? 

And what do you do when you feel stuck?

Offline Jasmina

• Master JTFer
Re: How Does One Decide On The Best Career Path?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:06:04 PM »
  I knew what I want to do with my life since I was very little. Only G-d helped me when I got stuck! I pray when I feel that way!
The whole system works because everyone is not mentally ill on the same day!!!!

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:10:18 PM »
  I knew what I want to do with my life since I was very little. Only G-d helped me when I got stuck! I pray when I feel that way!

What did you want to do?

Offline Jasmina

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 10:15:32 PM »

What did you want to do?

I wanted to be a doctor....

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 10:41:03 PM »
I would do lots of research and start discovering the different opportunities out there.  There might not be a formal database listing all the professions, but you should be able to find out something about many of them.  Try going to a career counselor, telling her what you're interested in, and then seeing what she tells you.  In order to pick the profession that will have the greatest chance of making you happy and leaving you fulfilled, you need to be informed.  That's all there is to it.  If you're not informed about the various possibilities, you can't possibly pick your "calling".  Also, if you believe you've found some areas of interest, do some research on that field to see if it is something you could actually see yourself doing.  Call people up in the field and talk to them if need be. 

The key is informing yourself, nothing is going to come out at you, grab you by the shirt collar and tell you that it is what you were meant to do. 

Good luck!   O0
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 12:01:45 AM »
Find out what skills you are good at and something you enjoy doing that will base your career
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 12:20:36 AM »
How do you know what it is you are meant to be doing professionally? 

And what do you do when you feel stuck?

Do you like what your parents or siblings do?  Then do what they do if you like it.  If you hate what they do, then do the exact opposite of that profession. If you are luke warm..then ummm....

You should choose something that you like to do, but something makes a decent living...

And when you feel stuck, take some classes at Hunter college.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 12:35:21 AM »
Actually see the work environment and checkout a typical day at a job. Ask yourself if you would get sick of it in 10 years. IT IS SO f#@_g   IMPORTANT TO SEE A TYPICAL WORKDAY OR BECOME AN INTERN AT A CERTAIN JOB. DON'T THINK OF MONEY . DO WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL FULFILLED AND HAPPY!!! LORD KNOWS i DIDN'T DO THIS.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 12:53:13 AM »
Actually see the work environment and checkout a typical day at a job. Ask yourself if you would get sick of it in 10 years. IT IS SO f#@_g   IMPORTANT TO SEE A TYPICAL WORKDAY OR BECOME AN INTERN AT A CERTAIN JOB. DON'T THINK OF MONEY . DO WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL FULFILLED AND HAPPY!!! LORD KNOWS i DIDN'T DO THIS.

This is great advice.  Internships are a great way to see the reality of certain jobs.  And if you end up hating your 1 month or summer internship, at least you will have avoided hating your profession for many many years!
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 12:55:59 AM »
Lisa are you looking into any career in particular?
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 03:07:42 AM »
I agree with the above, its best to try out different industries, as an intern, or assistant or whatever.. to see what you like.  You can get a good idea of what people in different profession actually do. 

And if you can't do anything... be a teacher :)

Brian

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 04:18:32 PM »

Wanted as in the past tense?

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 04:23:08 PM »
Do the thing that you love and get's you most excited to wake up in the morning. This way you are always on vacation every day of your life and because you enjoy it you will ultimately make the most money doing it too because you excitement will lead to hard work and innovation.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 04:28:09 PM »
Follow your heart.  :)

As I tried to post my response I saw Lubab beat me to it.
I think you should follow your heart.  Then you will enjoy your work and the money will follow.

Now if only I would be brave enough to follow Lubab's advice  ;)

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 04:29:19 PM »
In my view, there is a simple formula that one uses to decide the best career path.  There are two opposing factors one has to consider in order to take a career path:  What makes good money nowadays and is in demand vs. what you like to do (or what you hate the least for some people).  One usually has to make a compromise between these two factors and that is a good decision making method for what you should go in to.  For example, I chose becoming a physician since it is something I think I would find somewhat enjoyable and it is a good career.  However, this is a compromise between the two extremes since I probably would enjoy the most to move to some unpopulated area and become a farmer, using the winter time to learn Torah and compose music like the days of old, but that wouldn't make a living and wouldn't be a good place for a Jew to live.  So I chose something as a compromise. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Jasmina

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 04:34:07 PM »

What did you want to do?

read all above! :)

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 04:39:05 PM »

What did you want to do?

Saying you "wanted" to be a physician implies that you no longer want to. 
  read all above! :)

Offline Jasmina

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 04:44:38 PM »
   I said I always wanted to be a doctor, and I am one right now! sorry for my bad English, I hope this makes it clear for you.. :) This was my dream, and I'm living my dream right now!

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 04:50:48 PM »
In my view, there is a simple formula that one uses to decide the best career path.  There are two opposing factors one has to consider in order to take a career path:  What makes good money nowadays and is in demand vs. what you like to do (or what you hate the least for some people).  One usually has to make a compromise between these two factors and that is a good decision making method for what you should go in to.  For example, I chose becoming a physician since it is something I think I would find somewhat enjoyable and it is a good career.  However, this is a compromise between the two extremes since I probably would enjoy the most to move to some unpopulated area and become a farmer, using the winter time to learn Torah and compose music like the days of old, but that wouldn't make a living and wouldn't be a good place for a Jew to live.  So I chose something as a compromise. 

Hey, you can make a good living as a farmer! Especially a Jewish farmer. I bet you you would make more money as a farmer than as a doctor.
Put your mind to it and you'll be supplying potatoes to McDonalds.
"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 04:54:33 PM »
You are funny.  Well, no Jewish girl's going to want to marry someone who lives in an unpopulated area and is a loner.   Who's she going to gossip to and who's the children going to talk to?  And there will be no Shule to pray in.  Plus, I don't think I'd make a lot of money if I don't come from a family of farmers who know the tricks of the trade.  My potatoes will probably be eaten by the bugs.  Maybe it would make a good Youtube video "Jew from NYC tries to grow potatoes". :o
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 04:57:40 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Lubab

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 06:05:52 PM »
You are funny.  Well, no Jewish girl's going to want to marry someone who lives in an unpopulated area and is a loner.   Who's she going to gossip to and who's the children going to talk to?  And there will be no Shule to pray in.  Plus, I don't think I'd make a lot of money if I don't come from a family of farmers who know the tricks of the trade.  My potatoes will probably be eaten by the bugs.  Maybe it would make a good Youtube video "Jew from NYC tries to grow potatoes". :o

I know of a Lubavitcher Chassid who was a farmed named Shalom Dunin. He lived in Israel, learned a lot, davened with a minyan every day, made a good living and had a beautiful family.

Hey man. You are the one who said you wanted to be a farmed not me.