Author Topic: Anyone Know a Good Car Navigator To Get?  (Read 976 times)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Anyone Know a Good Car Navigator To Get?
« on: March 19, 2008, 01:04:26 AM »
I could use one.  I've heard Garmin makes a good product.

newman

Re: Anyone Know a Good Car Navigator To Get?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:24:26 AM »
A good car navigator is anyone EXCEPT a female. They can't read maps to save themselves. :D

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 04:33:24 AM »
Don't waste your $ on a navigation system.  Every cell phone company offers navigation inside a lot of its phones and you can just get something to put in on the dash.  The cool thing about the GPS in phones is that it gives you traffic updates, accident reports and updates any new housing developments.  I bought a car nav system and I have to get $400 cd's every two years with updated maps.  The GPS in a lot of PDA's and Blackberries rivals those in cars now.  They're going to put the nav companies out of business very soon. 

Offline The Shadow

• Pro JTFer
GPS UNIT
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:19:49 AM »
I bought the Garmin Nuvi 650, last month.  Its excellent. Gets me anywhere I need to go.   Very simple to use.  You can get one on line through Costco for about $299.  You should definitely order the friction dashboard mount with it. It's worth the $30.00.   I can cut a hard turn in my car and the GPS unit won't budge with this friction mount.  The suction cup windshield mount that comes with it isn't good at all.  The garmin nuvi 650  has a large  4.3 inch screen in 3d, and the unit actually talks and tells you when to turn.  (The large screen is very important) .This is the best model you can buy for the money.  In another month or two, Garmin is coming out with a model where you actually talk to it and ask it directions.  This will cost about a $1000.  I personally wouldn't sink a thousand dollars in a GPS, unless I drove for a living.  Here's a link for video a demonstration of the Garmin Nuvi 650.

http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklog/2007/04/garmin_nuvi_650.html

Offline The Shadow

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:23:40 AM »
The Garmin Nuvi 650  is able to show the map in both 2D and 3D.  The person who made this video used the 2dimensional option.

http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_tracklog/2007/04/garmin_nuvi_650.html

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 10:49:56 AM »
Thanks for the info, fellas. O0

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 10:50:27 AM »
A good car navigator is anyone EXCEPT a female. They can't read maps to save themselves. :D

Good one, Newman. :::D