Author Topic: consider reloading  (Read 4017 times)

Offline old06

• Junior JTFer
consider reloading
« on: March 16, 2008, 06:41:57 PM »
 Some of you may want to consider reloading it insures a ready supply of cost effective ammo.Its easy to pick up used equipment at a good price

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: consider reloading
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:28:03 PM »
Reloading is going to be difficult since most of my rifles are based off Ak design and that thing dents the hell out of brass.  Plus I mainly use steel cased Ammo, I don't think it's really possible (or easy) to reload steel cased ammo.

Offline old06

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:36:47 PM »
Your correct about the steel cases but I have several semi auto in 3006,308 and 223 with brass cases you can make them dents disaper at a fraction of the cost.

newman

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 10:36:49 AM »
If you have an AK, take advantage of the still-cheap Wolf spam cans.

620 rds of brand-new 7.62x39 for $130. Get 40 cans with a bank overdraft of $5200 now and you'll have ammo for 20 years! O0

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:51:06 PM »
My Galils in 5.56 x 45, so unfortunately I don't get the cheap prices :( . I shouldn't have sold my SKS, I think i'm going to buy another one, either Yugo or Chinese.

Offline old06

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 08:24:54 PM »
My Galils in 5.56 x 45, so unfortunately I don't get the cheap prices :( . I shouldn't have sold my SKS, I think i'm going to buy another one, either Yugo or Chinese.

Yep the SKS and AK are a great buy at reasonable prices I would like to pick up a SKS in the future I had a AK several years back but got rid of it to help off set the cost of a AR15 platform

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 12:58:10 AM »

Yep the SKS and AK are a great buy at reasonable prices I would like to pick up a SKS in the future I had a AK several years back but got rid of it to help off set the cost of a AR15 platform

You couldn't pay me to pick an AR15 over an Ak47, no way in hell.

newman

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 01:10:52 AM »

You couldn't pay me to pick an AR15 over an Ak47, no way in hell.

If you're doing NRA across-the-range comps the AR is the pick, but for betting your life on when the SHTF, the AR isn't even in the running. A combat rifle needs to go 'bang' ALL the time, not most of the time.

Offline old06

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 07:54:11 AM »
In over 10,000 rounds in 7 years I have a failer rate of zero now that is if you throw out the 3 dud's I have had. I used Wolf , Winchester , some Remington and about 6,000 of my own hand loads. Yes it could fail but I have put that little rifle through the test, dirt, going uncleaned, wet, and just plain shot alot at times never a hang up to go into battery. At our range  there is a class 3 club and I have shot one or 2 of the rifles that show up and not many have hung up I'am not saying it doesn't happen but it happens in them all every now and then. 

newman

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 08:40:45 AM »
In over 10,000 rounds in 7 years I have a failer rate of zero now that is if you throw out the 3 dud's I have had. I used Wolf , Winchester , some Remington and about 6,000 of my own hand loads. Yes it could fail but I have put that little rifle through the test, dirt, going uncleaned, wet, and just plain shot alot at times never a hang up to go into battery. At our range  there is a class 3 club and I have shot one or 2 of the rifles that show up and not many have hung up I'am not saying it doesn't happen but it happens in them all every now and then. 

It's more when the weapon is subjected to field conditions of sand & mud.

In fairness the M16's not near as bad as some make out. It beats the British Enfield bullpup & the Mini 14. It's just not like an AK for firing even with cement in the action. The M16 is like a like a GMC pickup. Fairly reliable but not like a Toyota (AK).

Offline old06

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »

In fairness the M16's not near as bad as some make out. It beats the British Enfield bullpup & the Mini 14. It's just not like an AK for firing even with cement in the action. The M16 is like a like a GMC pickup. Fairly reliable but not like a Toyota (AK).

O0    your so right I just may be a little bias I really like the accuracy with the AR 15 VS the AK it may have a  major slant on my view

newman

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 09:33:15 PM »

O0    your so right I just may be a little bias I really like the accuracy with the AR 15 VS the AK it may have a  major slant on my view

I've heard of Marine Shooting team guys holding 2-3" groups at 600 yards with iron sighted AR-15s using 77gr match ammo! :o That's sub .5 MOA!!

No AK ever built will do that with any ammo in any caliber. Not even a Dragunov.