Author Topic: Robert Mugabe, poised to steal another election, has led his nation to ruin.  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
Once it was Africa's shining city on a hill, a beacon of prosperity and economic growth in the gloom of a continent shrouded by poverty. Emerging in 1980 from a seven-year civil war against white settler rule, the newly independent nation of Zimbabwe embraced racial reconciliation and invited the country's whites (one in 20 of the population) to remain and contribute to the new nation.

I was one of those who gladly dismissed Rhodesia and became Zimbabwean. Upon the firm economic infrastructure he had inherited, Robert Mugabe, our first black leader, built a health and educational system that was the envy of Africa. Zimbabwe became the continent's most literate country, with its highest per capita income. Zimbabwe easily fed itself and had plenty left over to export to its famine-prone neighbors.

I remember crisscrossing the continent then as Africa correspondent for a British newspaper, and each time I returned to the newly renamed capital of Harare (previously it had been Salisbury), I was reminded that in comparison to what surrounded it, Zimbabwe was like Switzerland. The roads were well maintained, the elevators worked, electricity was constant, you could drink the water, the steaks were world-renowned. The Zimbabwe dollar was at near parity with its American namesake.

Fast forward to today, and the country is unrecognizable.

Zimbabwe now has the fastest-shrinking peacetime economy in the world. This week, one U.S. dollar (even in its newly enfeebled state) will fetch you 55 million Zimbabwe dollars on the street. Hyperinflation there has soared well above 100,000% -- way past what it was in the Weimar Republic, when Germans loaded up wheelbarrows with money to go grocery shopping. Zimbabweans must carry huge wads of cash around in shopping bags, and by the time they reach the checkout desk at the shortage-racked supermarkets, the prices have already gone up.

Commercial agriculture -- the backbone of the economy -- lies shattered. All but a few of the country's 5,000 large-scale farmers, most of whom were white, have been run off their properties by government-backed squatters and militia. From being a food exporter, Zimbabwe would now starve without U.N. famine relief. And even with it, half the population is malnourished. Education and healthcare have collapsed. Ravaged by AIDS, life expectancy has plummeted from around 60 years old to about 35, the world's lowest. Zimbabwe has more orphans per capita than almost any other country on the planet. Water is undrinkable, power infrequent, roads potholed, fuel scarce, corruption endemic.

My own parents, an engineer and a doctor and better off than most, still lost everything as I watched from my new home in New York, frequently returning to check on them and try to persuade them to leave. But they insisted on staying. By the time my father died in 2004, their pensions, life insurance and stocks were worthless.

Why? It comes down to one man: Robert Mugabe, now in his 28th year in power and still refusing to go. Like Sampson, he would rather pull the temple down around him, would rather destroy Zimbabwe than leave office. The damage he has wrought will take generations to repair.

The country's free-fall into failed statehood began in earnest in 2000. That was when the electorate tired of him and his increasingly imperious one-party rule and voted down his attempt to do away with term limits so that he could continue as president. Mugabe, the onetime guerrilla leader who now saw himself as liberator of the country, reacted with astonishing venom. He turned on the newly emboldened black opposition, harassing, imprisoning and torturing their supporters. And those white commercial farmers he'd invited to remain in 1980 he threw off the land, distributing their farms among his cronies, which helped precipitate the economic catastrophe because few of them had the inclination or technical know-how to farm.

Mugabe became an African Ahab, Melville's "monomaniacal commander," marinating in a toxic brew of hate and denial as he plunged his ship of state down into the dark vortex, railing all the while from the quarterdeck against the great white whale. He blamed Zimbabwe's plunge on the largely symbolic sanctions imposed by the West. And he refused to negotiate with his own, overwhelmingly black, opposition, dismissing them as lackeys of Britain, the former colonial power.

Why do Zimbabweans continue to put up with Mugabe? In large numbers, they don't. Since 2000, most have tried to vote against him in presidential elections, but these were blatantly rigged. Now, as many as 70% of those between 18 and 60 have left the country to live and work elsewhere. It's an exodus on a par with the flood of Irish immigrants into America after the potato famine. And it's also the key to how the shattered Zimbabwe state survives -- remittances from its diaspora. People like me sending hard currency back to family and friends. By doing so, we inadvertently assist Mugabe to survive too.

Now a sprightly 84 years old, Mugabe has recently moved into a $26-million palace, with 25 bedroom suites, furnished with Sun King flourishes. He rules as a dictator through a network of army officers.

It is on them that he will rely once more to mastermind the presidential election Saturday. It is an election in name only, with no hope of being "free and fair." Mugabe has already rejected various constitutional reforms backed by South Africa. Electoral rolls are a joke, stuffed with fictitious voters. Police officers are to be allowed into voting booths "to assist illiterate voters." And votes are to be counted not at individual polling stations but at a single "national command center" staffed by senior army officers, which is where the rigging will likely take place.

Mugabe has banned most independent observers, instead inviting teams from China, Russia, Iran and Angola -- nations with no modern history of free and fair democracy. And finally, the more than 4 million in the Zimbabwe diaspora are not allowed postal votes.

None of this bodes well for Mugabe's two main opponents. Morgan Tsvangirai, of the Movement for Democratic Change, is a veteran of several rigged poll defeats and seems unlikely to fare any better this time, despite the enthusiastic crowds he draws to his rallies. Mugabe's other threat is Simba Makoni, a member of Mugabe's own politburo until he was expelled recently for daring to compete for the presidency.

The only real hope is that the men responsible for carrying out the rigging -- Mugabe's secret police, his senior government apparatchiks and the army leadership -- may have lost faith in their longtime leader. Perhaps they will refuse to fiddle the vote, especially because Makoni, the former Cabinet minister, is running as a "reformist" candidate, presenting the prospect of change with continuity.

It is a very slim prospect.

Offline spiritus_persona

• Pro JTFer
  • Say NO to Dhimmitude
    • Cultural Jihadist (Warning!  May contain harsh language!)
Well, it's obvious that elections don't work over there, so it's time to assassinate him.  Mugabe is a communist, plain and simple!  He's a black Stalin, and what do we do with Stalin, we execute him!
Me: Muslims get offended too easily.
Muslim: What!?  That is an outrage!  Take that back or I kill you!

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
The Marxist scum will do whatever it takes to remain in power! Also don't be fooled into thinking that he has no support, he has plenty of support. There are hardcore, die hard Magabe supporters who will vote for him no matter what.

This is a problem we have here in Africa, large masses of unthinking blacks will support a chosen party through thick or thin, even if the party does not deliver. There is an uncanny loyalty to a party which they will die for even if the party is wrong. This of course is the tribal mentality of Africa which cannot be budged. We live with this same problem in South Africa with the support for the ANC.

Here is another excellent article on the Zimbabwe election:

http://www.africancrisis.co.za/Article.php?ID=24553&
Let G_d arise, let his enemies be scattered: let them also that hate him flee before him. (Psalm 68:1)

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
Let G_d arise, let his enemies be scattered: let them also that hate him flee before him. (Psalm 68:1)

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
The next election is the only thing left which he hasn't already stolen!   ;D

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
The next election is the only thing left which he hasn't already stolen!   ;D

Good one MassuhDGoodName!

A good audio interview on Zimbabwe and South Africa:
http://www.africancrisis.co.za/Article.php?ID=24636&

[Audio] Barbara Simpson's Interview of Jan Lamprecht - March 2008 - Discussing SA & Zim
http://www.africancrisis.co.za/Audio/Barbara_Simpson_Interview_Jan_Lamprech_March_2008.mp3
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:27:14 AM by arisesouthafrica »

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
Zimbabwe: Vote buying, Mugabe style: Handing out 450 CARS to Doctors to BUY VOTES! Promising Houses!

http://www.africancrisis.co.za/Article.php?ID=24668&

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
Zimbabwe's opposition claims win on early results

http://www.politicsweb.co.za/politicsweb/view/politicsweb/en/page71627?oid=87654&sn=Detail

MDC's election agents reported that early results posted at polling stations showed Tsvangirai was projected to win 66% of the vote in the capital Harare

HARARE, March 30 (Reuters) - Zimbabwe's opposition claimed victory on Sunday based on early results from an election in which it is trying to unseat President Robert Mugabe after 28 years of power and end an economic collapse.

"It's a historic moment for all of us. We have won this election, we have won this election," Tendai Biti, secretary general of the main opposition Movemement for Democratic Change (MDC), told reporters, diplomats and observers at a briefing.

The opposition, headed by former trade unionist Morgan Tsvangirai, has accused 84-year-old Mugabe of employing election-rigging tactics in an attempt to stay in power and African observers say they detected fraud in Saturday's ballot.

Once-prosperous Zimbabwe is suffering from the world's highest inflation rate of more than 100,000 percent, chronic shortages of food and fuel and a rampant HIV/AIDS epidemic that has contributed to a steep decline in life expectancy.

"People are dying in hospitals and funeral expenses are very high. How do you expect us to survive? Shop shelves are empty," said mother-of-three Gertrude Muzanenhamo, 36, echoing the views of many voters interviewed by reporters.

Mugabe, who accuses the West of sabotaging Zimbabwe's economy, expressed confidence on Saturday he would be returned to office. "We will succeed. We will conquer," he said.

The former guerrilla leader, in power since independence from Britain in 1980, rejected the vote-rigging allegations.

Biti said the MDC's election agents had reported that early results posted at polling stations showed Tsvangirai was projected to win 66 percent of the vote in the capital Harare, an opposition stronghold.

SIGNIFICANT INROADS

He said Tsvangirai had made significant inroads in Mugabe's rural strongholds by leading in the southern province of Masvingo and Mashonaland Central Province, north of Harare, where the MDC has not won a parliamentary seat since 2000.

Tsvangirai's winning trend had also extended to Mugabe's home province of Mashonaland West, where the MDC had taken a rural parliamentary seat, said Biti.

He said that in Zimbabwe's second city of Bulawayo, another opposition power base, Tsvangirai had a slight edge over former Finance Minister and ruling ZANU-PF official Simba Makoni -- also standing against Mugabe.

But Makoni, whose decision to run was seen by many analysts as a sign of increasing unease in ZANU-PF ranks, was leading in Zimbabwe's southwestern Matabeleland South Province.

The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission said it would start to announce official results later on Sunday. Final results are not expected for several days from the presidential, parliamentary and local polls.

Observers from the Pan-African parliament said in a letter to the commission they had found more than 8,000 non-existent voters registered on empty land in a Harare constituency.

Most international observers were banned and a team from the regional grouping, the Southern African Development Community (SADC), did not comment on Saturday. Critics say the SADC, which has tried to mediate over Zimbabwe, is too soft on Mugabe.

The powerful heads of the security forces have backed Mugabe, and voters said they had seen patrolling police and army units with armoured vehicles and water cannon.

Some security chiefs say they will not accept a Tsvangirai victory but the opposition leader told reporters: "I am not seeking the security chiefs mandate but the people's mandate."

If no candidate wins more than 51 percent of the vote, the election will go into a second round.

newman

I've yet to hear a single, white liberal admit that they cocked it up backing Mugabee in the 1970s. But liberals NEVER admit their mistakes.

Offline bongoid

• Full JTFer
 :( It will just be another stolen Zim election.RIP Ian Smith & Rhodesia !

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
Welcome! O0Let me how to help!

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
The release of the election results have been very slow. The opposition - the MDC - has been shown to be running slightly ahead or at times neck on neck with the ruling party - Zanu PF\Magabe.

Magabe is releasing these results painfully slowly, I believe, so that he can in the end release figures which claim that he has won again. He wants to try give the impression that it is a fair, nail biting competition but in the end he will claim victory.

Hopefully his winning claim will result in an uprising that overthrows him and his evil government!
I am paying very close attention to this election, I am listening to radio broadcasts from Zimbabwe most of the day!

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
Elections today are a joke bro!

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
Hi Christianwhitenation! I agree completely, "Elections today are a joke bro!" However living with Zimbabwe just North of where we live, I would just love a small change and I, as many others want this bastard removed!

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
Most average citizens don't know how to help/

teach us!

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
Most average citizens don't know how to help/

teach us!

How to help? I wish I really knew! The liberal west has completely ignored or even orchestrated the disaster which is Africa!
The liberals have poured so much assistance into black governments for "the people", but all they do is line their own pockets! Africa is corrupt, evil and ung-dly
It is a "curse" to live in Africa, especially as a white person!

The world needs to continually hear the truth about the evil governments of Africa - Zanu PF and its supporter, our pathetic "government" the ANC!
The world needs to continually hear the truth about white and Christian genocide in Southern Africa!

The west actually does know but they do not give a sh*t!!

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
MAKE PEACE WITH MUGABE

By Heidi Holland

President Robert G. Mugabe is bad, and if Western governments continue to isolate him, he could get worse.

While Zimbabwe’s opposition party is claiming victory in its effort to unseat President Robert G. Mugabe, it would be a mistake to count him out. And if Mr. Mugabe prevails, it would be a mistake to continue to isolate him, as Western governments have done for the last decade.

Mr. Mugabe is bad, but he could get worse.

“My granny was a heathen,” Mr. Mugabe muttered from behind his big wooden desk at his office in Harare, the capital. It was not the sort of comment I had expected to hear from the 84-year-old dictator, but during our two-hour interview late last year, some of my assumptions about the most enigmatic figure in modern Africa were crumbling.

As soon as I entered the room I realized that the awkward man wearing a finely stitched white shirt and an elegant dark suit was apprehensive of me, just as I was of him. Mr. Mugabe stared hard, and then cleared his throat nervously. I had expected to meet someone exuding power -- an older version of the steely freedom fighter I encountered over a secret dinner at my home 30 years ago.

Instead I saw a mild and diminished figure, his rumbling but faint voice often barely audible, his head at times lolling forward self-consciously as if he wanted to hide away. As the interview progressed, he slumped and then slid down like a gangly teenager in his threadbare swivel chair, his long limbs dangling. What I eventually realized from Mr. Mugabe’s earnest efforts to justify his actions to me was that he is more vulnerable than his outlandish public posturing suggests.

Certainly, Mr. Mugabe is no feeble recluse -- we have seen him campaigning with sudden bursts of vigor at staged rallies before busloads of supporters of the ruling party, the Zimbabwe African National Union-Patriotic Front -- yet he almost never grants interviews to journalists. To obtain mine took two years of requests, the persistent intervention of Mr. Mugabe’s priest and then a five-week wait in Harare.

Early on I had assumed that he was too busy to spare the time. Only later did it dawn on me that he might be fearful of the independent press.

That fear is understandable. Zimbabwe’s once booming economy is in tatters. Inflation has soared to fantastical levels, unemployment is near universal, starvation looms. And Mr. Mugabe, for all his protestations about the wicked West and for all the sycophantic comments from the yes-men who surround him, must know that he is to blame.

So why talk about his heathen grandmother? I wanted to understand the Robert Mugabe who had been obscured amid the chaos and misrule. The one described by his classmates as shy, bookish, a loner deeply attached to his mother and resentful of his absent father. The one who was at first remarkably forgiving of white landowners when he came to power in 1980. (For instance, Mr. Mugabe allowed his predecessor, Ian Smith, who led the white minority government that ran Rhodesia, as Zimbabwe was known, to live on in Harare without harassment, even when Mr. Smith embarked on a campaign against him.)

But bitterness had clearly welled up within him. When I first met him at that dinner in 1975, he seemed to be a considerate man, asking after the health of my toddler son even as he fled into exile to a neighboring country shortly afterward. By the end of 2007, as we sat together again after 28 years of his rule, he exuded the air of a lost and angry man.

Why? Part of the answer came to me in our interview, as Mr. Mugabe expressed almost tearful regret at his inability to socialize with the queen of England. He feels that the West -- and Britain in particular -- has failed to recognize his “suffering and sacrifice.” As someone who by his own estimation is part British, this rejection has taken on the intensity of a family quarrel.

Much of the quarrel centers on the vexed issue of land redistribution. As part of the pact that created Zimbabwe’s independence, Britain promised financial aid to help the young country redistribute land from white farmers to blacks.

When this money was misused, the British government under Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher began to withhold it. Mrs. Thatcher’s successor, John Major, agreed to restore the money. But before he could do so, his successor, Tony Blair, reversed course, taking the aid off the table, where it remains today. It is this grievance against Britain for short-changing him on the land redistribution issue that Mr. Mugabe craves understanding.

I left Mr. Mugabe’s office with an uneasy sense of the futility of the West’s punitive diplomacy toward him. It was my feeling that he was going to stop at nothing to prove that he had been wronged. Indeed, he told me that he was prepared to sacrifice the welfare of his country to prove his case against Britain.

That a precariously balanced individual like Mr. Mugabe is in charge of a country and willing to destroy it to score points against an enemy is a tragedy in itself. That he has an arguably justifiable complaint against a major Western power -- namely the repudiation of the land reform pledge -- is doubtless an embarrassment in the West. But that Britain and others choose to shun Mr. Mugabe rather than attempt to settle these differences is quite frankly reckless.

The West needs to change its approach to Mr. Mugabe. Years of isolation and ineffective sanctions, with which he has fueled his propaganda campaign, have only driven Mr. Mugabe downward. More of the same will backfire. A strategy of engagement -- whether Mr. Mugabe wins re-election and stays in office or whether he achieves his ends through fraudulent means and needs to be talked out of power -- is the only viable option.

The belief that the situation in Zimbabwe cannot get worse has proved an inadequate strategy for ending the country’s plight under Mr. Mugabe. More important, the current Western standoff might in itself imperil Zimbabwe as things go from bad to worse and as Zimbabwe’s president becomes a great deal nastier. Every effort should be made internationally to set up a conversation with the dictator.
Source URL: http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,544570,00.html

Offline qwerty

• Junior JTFer
I really do hope Morgan Tsvangirai wins. I mean anybody is better than Mugabe at this point

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
I also really hope Morgan Tsvangirai wins. He also has some important white members in his organization such as Eddie Cross and Roy Bennett. Even though Eddie Cross was a liberal during Ian Smiths rule, I have heard interviews with him and he is very intelligent and I believe him to be a good representative for the white community in Zimbabwe.

Roy Bennett:
http://www.mdc.co.zw/commitee-RoyBennet.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Bennett

Eddie Cross:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Cross
http://www.mdc.co.zw/profile-EddieCross.asp

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 04:00:46 AM by arisesouthafrica »

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
Well it looks like Mugabe was defeated. Will he finally step down though? I hope so.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
We will see! ;)

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
He has only lost the parliamentary majority, its not over yet! We are still waiting for the Presidential vote, this is the important one, he could still get up to some evil!

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
Zimbabwe: Mugabe is now destroying the last White Farmers who were LOYAL to him - 60 Farms taken

by Jan Lamprecht

[I said a long time back that Mugabe is throwing farmers off according to their support for the opposition. He kept the most loyal farmers - the ones who supported his political party. But I have also said that Whites will see one day that these Black racists don't care. In the end, they will nail you because you are white. And so now even these "loyal" whites who supported his evil party, are being run off their land. I hope they learn a lesson from this. There are only 300 of these farmers out of the original 4,500. Jan]

60 farmers forced off their land by Mugabe thugs.

HARARE (Sapa) - Hardline supporters of Robert Mugabe have forced at least 60 farmers off their land since the weekend, amid heightened tensions as Zimbabwe awaits presidential poll results, a union said Tuesday.

"We've got over 60 farmers who have been evicted," Commercial Farmers Union president Trevor Gifford told AFP. "They have been chased away and left everything behind."

Gifford said a first black farmer had also been chased off by the so-called war veterans, pro-Mugabe activists who were at the forefront of the widespread seizure of white farms earlier in the decade.

"They are targeting anyone seen as against the ruling party, it's really sad," he said. "We should be living in harmony, we need unity.

There is enough land for everyone."

Gifford said that although police in some areas were refusing to report evictions, they were by and large trying to prevent the seizures.

"In the majority of the cases there is police assistance, but within three or four hours we get those people coming back to invade the properties," Gifford said. "We need to stabilise the situation and get all the racial hatred out of it."
President Mugabe has used the state media and his ruling Zimbabwe African National Union - Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF) party to fan the flames of the land issue by suggesting that whites are moving back to take their land in a bid to discredit the pro-Western opposition.

He urged Zimbabweans at the weekend to jealously guard the land for which thousands of freedom fighters died during the liberation war in the 1970s.

"Today, we cannot afford to retreat in the battle for land," said Mugabe, who badly needs to boost support in his rural heartlands if he is to fend off the presidential challenge of opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai.

"Land must remain in our hands. The land is ours, it must not be allowed to slip back into the hands of whites," Mugabe was quoted as saying by the state-run Herald daily.

The paper reported Tuesday that police in southern Masvingo had ordered war veterans to leave the white-owned farms they had invaded.

"We want, however, to warn some of the white former farmers who have been reportedly threatening to repossess acquired farms that they will be definitely arrested and face the full wrath of the law," a police commander was quoted as telling in the Herald.

Although things have been largely peaceful since Zimbabwe's March 29 polls, the farm invasions serve as a reminder of the violence which followed Mugabe's last electoral reverse when he lost a referendum in 2000.

Mugabe launched the reforms nine years ago, ostensibly as an attempt to redress the imbalances of Britain's colonial rule when some 4,500 white farmers owned 70 percent of the most fertile land.

But after he lost the 2000 referendum, the organised process of land redistribution soon gave way to spontaneous invasions by war veterans and ruling party militants. Several people, including farmers, were killed.

Tsvangirai, the 56-year-old opposition leader, maintains he secured
enough votes to avoid a run-off and has accused Mugabe's ruling ZANU-PF
of gearing up for a "war" against the Zimbabwean people.

The results of the presidential election are still to be announced ten days after voters went to the polls.
Source URL: http://www.politicsweb.co.za/politicsweb/view/politicsweb/en/page71627?oid=87928&sn=Detail

by Jan Lamprecht

Offline AriseSouthAfrica

• Senior JTFer
Zvinavashe concedes after recount, takes aim at Mugabe

By Fikile Mapala

THE losing Zanu PF Senate candidate for Gutu constituency General Vitalis Zvinavashe has blamed President Robert Mugabe for the party’s poor showing in Masvingo Province after a recount of ballots in his constituency failed to change the party’s fortunes.

The former army commander also urged fellow Zanu PF candidates at a counting centre in the province to live with the reality that they had indeed lost the elections to the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) led by Morgan Tsvangirai.

Zvinavashe, a former army commander who once vowed he would never salute Tsvangirai, spoke Wednesday while addressing Zanu PF House of Assembly and local council election candidates during the recounting of ballots for three constituencies at Gutu rural district council offices in Masvingo.

Zvinavashe said: “There is no need to fight over these results. We must accept the reality that we have lost these elections to the MDC. What is important is to live together in peace, both losers and winners. We do not want violence in this area. We are relatives.”

The former Zimbabwe Defence Forces chief startled election officials and agents when he publicly suggested that Zanu PF candidates in Masvingo had lost because of the party’s presidential candidate President Robert Mugabe.

He said: “Most of us lost these elections not because we are not popular in our constituencies. We lost these harmonised elections because of one man.

“People rejected us because we were campaigning for Mugabe. People in Masvingo have rejected him and we became collateral damage. There is no reason to fight with the MDC over this election. The real problem is that man not us.”

The revealing remarks by Zvinavashe were made in the presence of MDC candidates and polling agents who were at the counting centre.

Recounts were underway in 23 constituencies where Zanu PF claimed President Mugabe and Zanu PF’s ballots had been undercounted by corrupt election officials who took money from the MDC. Of the 23, two recounts were triggered by the MDC.

Zanu PF hopes to overturn its defeat in parliamentary elections after losing its majority to the MDC for the first time in the March 29 elections. Results of the presidential election are still being withheld almost a month after voting, amid growing international concerns that the country could be lurching towards violence.

Zvinavashe is said to have advised his chief election agent Bertha Chikwama -- the losing Zanu PF parliamentary candidate for Gutu East -- to abandon the recounting process saying it was “a waste of time” since nothing would change.

On Sartuday, police had to intervene when Zanu PF candidates Lovemore Matuke, Shuvai Mahofa and their polling agents threatened to attack opposition candidates following a misunderstanding over the recounting process.

Zvinavashe, who lost the election to Empire Makamure of the MDC, urged Zanu PF candidates to shun violence but to ensure peaceful co-existence with members of the opposition in the province.

The MDC retained all the three recounted constituencies in the rural district – a former Zanu PF stronghold. MDC candidates Eliphas Mukonoweshuro (Gutu South), Oliver Chirume (Gutu Central) and Edmore Maramwidze (Gutu North) said they had retained their seats at the close of recounting Wednesday afternoon.

Gutu central legislator Chirume said it he was now the official MP for Gutu Central after ZEC officials announced the new results which had given him an increased lead.

He said: “It’s now official. The recounting is over and I am still the winner. The only difference now is that the margin is now wider than before. Zanu PF is history here.”

The MP confirmed his two colleagues had also retained their seats after the recount.

Recounts are also being carried out in Chimanimani West, Mutare West, Bikita West, Bikita South, Bulilima East, Zhombe, Zaka East, Zvimba North, Silobela, Chiredzi North, Gokwe-Kabuyuni, Buhera South, Lupane East, Mberengwa East, West, South, North, Masvingo Central and Masvingo West.

Goromonzi West has already been declared to Zanu PF almost unchanged from the initial result.

Offline bongoid

• Full JTFer
Any questions ?
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 11:35:17 PM »
This is Rhodesia under white rule :
  Able to feed almost the whole of Africa itself, Black farmworkers employed, 3 Rhodesian Dollars to the US Dollar.

This is Zimbabwe under black rule;
  Starving to death despite UN aid, almost 100% unemployed, the currency worthless.

???Any questions?