Author Topic: The Boer Mauser rifle.  (Read 6802 times)

newman

The Boer Mauser rifle.
« on: March 30, 2008, 07:19:17 AM »
The Boers' greatest asset (apart from their own skill and bravery).

The 1893/95 'Large ring' Mauser rifle in 7x57mm.

There is no denying the overwhelming superiority of Paul Mauser's rifles to anything else available in their day. Even to this day, the Mauser action (particularly the '98 model) has no equal. More than a century after it's release, no turn-bolt rifle is equal to the Mauser.

The superbly designed & built Mauser had a 5 rd magazine and was reloaded quickly via 5rd charging clips. It was sighted to some 2000+ yards.

The 7x57mm Mauser round is one of the finest infantry rounds ever fielded. It had all the power, lethality and long range accuracy any soldier could want, yet it didn't have the fearsome recoil of the (later) 8x57 IS, 30-06 US or even .303 British round.

In the hands of the tough, skilled and determined Boers, (most of whom had spent their lives shooting, hunting & tracking ) this rifle & cartridge combination was to prove devastating to the British.

The poor, silly Brits had only just changed from bright red tunics to kahki uniforms. Unfortunately they had white webbing that formed a large, white 'X' on their torsos that gave the highly able marksmen of the Boer 'kommandos' a nice target. The Mauser round was one of the first smokeless cartridges, so the Boers could devastate the British collumns (who still marched in blocks in the field) from well over 1,000 yards away without the tell-tale plume of grey smoke giving away their position.

The Boer leaders had limited funds, so they would buy a sizable number of 1895 Mausers at a discounted price and sell them to each Boer militiaman at £3.00. 1,000 rounds of 174gr, 7x57 mm ball ammo was £6.00. (Don't you wish OUR leaders would do that?  :'( )

Boeregeneraal

Re: The Boer Mauser rifle.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 07:58:19 AM »
a fantastic weapon!!!

Give a Boer a mauser, a horse, and a Bible, and he will destroy the world's strongest army.

Thanks Newman  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 08:12:14 AM »

There is no denying the overwhelming superiority of Paul Mauser's rifles to anything else available in their day. Even to this day, the Mauser action (particularly the '98 model) has no equal. More than a century after it's release, no turn-bolt rifle is equal to the Mauser.

The superbly designed & built Mauser had a 5 rd magazine and was reloaded quickly via 5rd charging clips. It was sighted to some 2000+ yards.

The 7x57mm Mauser round is one of the finest infantry rounds ever fielded. It had all the power, lethality and long range accuracy any soldier could want, yet it didn't have the fearsome recoil of the (later) 8x57 IS, 30-06 US or even .303 British round.

In the hands of the tough, skilled and determined Boers, (most of whom had spent their lives shooting, hunting & tracking ) this rifle & cartridge combination was to prove devastating to the British.

The poor, silly Brits had only just changed from bright red tunics to kahki uniforms. Unfortunately they had white webbing that formed a large, white 'X' on their torsos that gave the highly able marksmen of the Boer 'kommandos' a nice target. The Mauser round was one of the first smokeless cartridges, so the Boers could devastate the British collumns (who still marched in blocks in the field) from well over 1,000 yards away without the tell-tale plume of grey smoke giving away their position.

The Boer leaders had limited funds, so they would buy a sizable number of 1895 Mausers at a discounted price and sell them to each Boer militiaman at £3.00. 1,000 rounds of 174gr, 7x57 mm ball ammo was £6.00. (Don't you wish OUR leaders would do that?  :'( )

We have a company here in America that sells WW2 era Mousers and they actually had some unused surplus stuff that was made in Serbia back then. I was tempted to order one but not knowing a great deal about guns I thought the money could be spent on a better firearm. At 300 bucks it didn't seem like a bad deal.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 08:26:35 AM »
We have a company here in America that sells WW2 era Mousers and they actually had some unused surplus stuff that was made in Serbia back then. I was tempted to order one but not knowing a great deal about guns I thought the money could be spent on a better firearm. At 300 bucks it didn't seem like a bad deal.

man I wish I was in america !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :'( :'(

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 08:35:06 AM »

man I wish I was in america !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :'( :'(
Here is the companies site I may still order one. I have been thinking of starting a collection and that gun seems interesting.
http://www.mauser.org/

newman

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 08:48:13 AM »

There's a ton of places in the USA that sell surplus rifles.

Mitchell's Mausers (aka Mauser.org) are good but overpriced (according to many), however their service and products are first rate.

The Serb smallarms industry is absolutly first class. Their stuff is better than Russian/chinese and equal to any European country apart from Czechoslavakia or Switzerland. Nothing wrong with Serb/ Yugo M48 Mausers. They are as strong and well-built as anything German..................better (in-fact) than the WW2 production german stuff that suffered from a shortage of good material. Many of those Yugo Mausers (all the M48s, actually) were made after the war and many are 'unissued'. They were replaced early on by semi-auto SKSs and kept in greased-up storage. Some will go on about how you can find the same thing at gun shows for $180-$200, but if $299 gets a unissued, 1st rate M48 Mauser without the leg work I'd go for it.

Mitchells also sell the Zastava M63 Mauser. It's brand-new production and can be had in the current military's .308 (7.62 NATO), US 30-06 as well as 8mm Mauser. It's a shortened carbine version of the M48 that weighs about 1.25 lbs less. It's $495 but a great rifle.

For your location, a pump shotgun is a better choice than a main battle rifle given the close ranges within a city and the likelyhood of large groups of hostiles (read blacks, arabs, illegals). In NYC, my advice would be a Remington 870 Express Deer Gun. It's exactly the same as a police combat shotgun but cosmetically it's a Deer Gun. It won't raise eyebrows to any LE agencies as they are the most common deer hunting firearm in America's North East. At ranges out to 50-60 yards the 12g buckshot rounds are devastating without penetrating the walls of your neighbours' homes. You can also buy non-lethal rubber loads. The pump-action is extremely fast, too. With little practice you'll be able to get off 4 aimed shots in under 3 seconds.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 09:12:12 AM »
Thanks for the information Newman. After 911 and the past few natural disasters we have had here in the US it seems that people need to keep a few guns around. 911 was not bad here in NY because it only affected a very small spot in the city and the media kept everyone well informed. Still the disruption it created showed how crazy it could get. When the animals here think law enforcement is overly occupied trying to keep order in one place they feel its time to go shopping in another.Catrina really was the eye opener for most people. I have been leaning towards the shot gun for just the reasons you point out. For now it legal to have long guns here on Long Island NY so I am going to invest in a few different types. I am also considering going for a pistol permit. Hopefully they will all be dust collectors and the day never comes where any of them are needed. 

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 09:14:48 AM »

Thanks for the info Newman. What would you suggest for a pistol?

newman

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 09:25:30 AM »
Thanks for the information Newman. After 911 and the past few natural disasters we have had here in the US it seems that people need to keep a few guns around. 911 was not bad here in NY because it only affected a very small spot in the city and the media kept everyone well informed. Still the disruption it created showed how crazy it could get. When the animals here think law enforcement is overly occupied trying to keep order in one place they feel its time to go shopping in another.Catrina really was the eye opener for most people. I have been leaning towards the shot gun for just the reasons you point out. For now it legal to have long guns here on Long Island NY so I am going to invest in a few different types. I am also considering going for a pistol permit. Hopefully they will all be dust collectors and the day never comes where any of them are needed. 
Don't ever let a gun collect dust. Get your arse self down to the pistol/rifle range or gun club once or twice a month and practice practice practice.

Get a .22 similar in function to the pistol/rifle you get to practice on the cheap.

http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php?topic=17615.msg196860#msg196860

http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php?topic=17623.msg196880#msg196880

For the 12g, use cheapo birdshot loads at $75/250 to practice and get No 4 buckshot (not no 4 birdshot!) or 00 buck for defense. The rifle sight-equipped deer gun can also fire rifled slugs to accurately shoot at heavy 'game' (2 legged or 4) at 100+ yards.

newman

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 09:29:25 AM »

That depends.........

Where do you live?

Is it a liberal or conservative State or city?

What is your handgun experience?

Do you wish to take up practical shooting as a sport?

Is it for concealed carry or home defense?

Boeregeneraal

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 09:57:51 AM »

Here is the companies site I may still order one. I have been thinking of starting a collection and that gun seems interesting.
http://www.mauser.org/

Get it!! If i lived in the us...I would pay $300 for a gun any day!!!! Here in Aus they costs 1000's...and that is only IF you are allowed one

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 10:05:15 AM »

That depends.........

Where do you live?

I live in FL with fairly liberal gun laws. It is for concealed use as well as home for protection. And I have very little experience with guns.

newman

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 10:25:41 AM »

That depends.........

Where do you live?

I live in FL with fairly liberal gun laws. It is for concealed use as well as home for protection. And I have very little experience with guns.

For CCW and home defense you can never go wrong with a revolver in .357 magnum/.38 special. No levers or buttons, no jamming or misfeads.........just point & pull!

The best are the Ruger SP101 or GP100 with 3" barrels OR Smith & Wesson Model 66 or 686 with 3" or 2.5" barrels. You can also buy a .22 revolver of similar size for cheapo practice.

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 10:28:08 AM »

That depends.........

Where do you live?

For CCW and home defense you can never go wrong with a revolver in .357 magnum/.38 special. No levers or buttons, no jamming or misfeads.........just point & pull!

The best are the Ruger SP101 or GP100 with 3" barrels OR Smith & Wesson Model 66 or 686 with 3" or 2.5" barrels. You can also buy a .22 revolver of similar size for cheapo practice.

Excellent. Thanks for the advice. Best to you.

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 04:19:25 PM »

That depends.........

Where do you live?

I live in FL too O0
Zastava guns are very good. One of Serb war heroes had nick name Mauser. I knew that man and two of his sons O0
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 04:35:52 PM »

That depends.........

Where do you live?

I live in FL too O0
Zastava guns are very good. One of Serb war heroes had nick name Mauser. I knew that man and two of his sons O0

Nice to make your acquaintance Serb army. I'm in Tampa, and you? I have a Serbian friend here with whom I discuss issues related to Jews and Serbs. I have directed him to the forum; hopefully he will join.

newman

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 11:51:53 PM »
Just for everybody's information.

With the hike in ammo prices recently, proper german/european/WW2 spec 8x57mm (JS) Mauser FMJ ammo is cheaper than .308 (7.62 NATO) right now. Corrosive Serb surplus ammo is about $300/1000, non-corrosive Austrian 80s made stuff is $375/1000 and New, non-corrosive, Serbian Prvi Partizan ammo is about $500/1000. Not cheap but better than .308 at the moment.

BTW, the Mil-spec 196gr stanard FMJ round will penetrate 5/8" steel plate at 100m!

US commercial 8mm ammo is light loaded to avoid accidents and litigation if someone fires it from an older<1900 Mauser with the old .318 bore. Buy proper WW2 german /Turk spec loads.

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 05:42:42 PM »

That depends.........

Where do you live?

I live in FL too O0

Nice to make your acquaintance Serb army. I'm in Tampa, and you? I have a Serbian friend here with whom I discuss issues related to Jews and Serbs. I have directed him to the forum; hopefully he will join.
I live in Jacksonville FL my friend O0 Tampa and Jacksonville are more muslim cities but Orlando and St. Pitt are ours O0 ;D
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 08:49:28 PM »

This is true. They're building some huge mosque abomination in Hernando county soon.

That depends.........

Where do you live?

I live in FL too O0

I live in Jacksonville FL my friend O0 Tampa and Jacksonville are more muslim cities but Orlando and St. Pitt are ours O0 ;D