Author Topic: Do You Think Eternal Life Will Ever Be Medically Possible?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Do You Think Eternal Life Will Ever Be Medically Possible?
« on: April 02, 2008, 02:01:51 AM »
I sure hope not.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
Re: Do You Think Eternal Life Will Ever Be Medically Possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 02:08:58 AM »
Yes, technically it's possible, but Olam Haba will come first, and we'll not need medical eternal life.

Offline Zionist Revolutionary

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:10:34 AM »
No, it will not be possible.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 02:40:16 AM »
More than likely. 

Were just barely touching the surface of what causes aging.  We can already trick mammals to increase their lifespan by as much as 40% by tweaking things such as metabolism.  (it involves strict caloric restriction... something that 99% of humans could never follow)

Who knows when though.  breakthroughs in science and medicine are unpredictable.

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 12:11:58 AM »
I am afraid that if this does indeed become a reality, it will be so solely for the ultra-rich who can afford it.  Since, as Chaim has pointed out, the mega-rich are usually evil, it would probably be a very sad day for all humanity. >:(  It would create the ultimate caste system between those who could afford to live forever and the everyday man who would be viewed as expendable, easily exposed.  I hope G-d throws a wrench in the plans and does not allow it to come to fruition.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:20:22 AM »
NO because if there was a way G-d would have let us discover it already

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 12:52:30 AM »
NO because if there was a way G-d would have let us discover it already

What???   

What if someone asked 200 years ago.. will man ever fly? or walk on the moon? or split the atom? and someone responded.. no.. because if there were a way, God would have let us discover it already.

Brian

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 12:57:23 AM »
Doesn't G-d give eternal life to righteous people after death (after the resurrection of the dead in the messianic age)?   I don't know if this falls under the category of "medically," but it's certainly something that will happen.  right?

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 01:06:57 AM »
I can't afford to pay taxes for eternity!

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 01:15:07 AM »
Should science discover "eternal life", a horrific holocaust on a global scale will follow.

Only the very rich will be able to afford the medical care allowing for it, and soon "eternals" will decide that the burgeoning overpopulation of mere "mortals" are unnecessary, too expensive to care for, and consume resources which are best used to make life better for the "elite" who aren't about to die.

They undoubtedly would make plans to dispose of all "mortals" save a group to serve as "slaves" to the "eternals".

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 01:15:43 AM »
I saw a show on the Discovery channel a while back that discussed this very issue.  I'm not sure exactly how it would work and the specifics of it all, but the genes that cause aging and ailments that cause death manifest themselves when they are activated at an older age.  If we could trick these genes into thinking that the body is still young, then they would never kick in, and none of the ailments that cause death would occur.  Who knows if this could enable people to live forever, which is impossible considering that if a person lived a few hundred years he would probably die one way or another and eventually would die from climate change or an earth catastrophe, but the show seemed to come to the conclusion that it is theoretically possible if we are able to trick all of the genes that can cause death.  Is there a doctor in the house who can shed light on this?  JDLforever might have been able to.   :-\  How about anyone else?
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 02:26:32 AM »
I saw a show on the Discovery channel a while back that discussed this very issue.  I'm not sure exactly how it would work and the specifics of it all, but the genes that cause aging and ailments that cause death manifest themselves when they are activated at an older age.  If we could trick these genes into thinking that the body is still young, then they would never kick in, and none of the ailments that cause death would occur.  Who knows if this could enable people to live forever, which is impossible considering that if a person lived a few hundred years he would probably die one way or another and eventually would die from climate change or an earth catastrophe, but the show seemed to come to the conclusion that it is theoretically possible if we are able to trick all of the genes that can cause death.  Is there a doctor in the house who can shed light on this?  JDLforever might have been able to.   :-\  How about anyone else?

I'm not a doctor, but I know this subject quite well.  And yes.. all living organisms are pre-programmed to age in our genes.  If they weren't then evolution wouldn't happen. (That should be pretty obvious)  Species age at different rates based upon this program. For example a 3 year old mouse will exhibit all the age problems that a 160 year old giant sea-turtle or whale would exhibit. (ie cancer, heart disease, etc).    There are genes that we know of in nearly every organism that can extend ALL species dramatically.  The most famous is known as Sir2 (which is what Resveratrol was supposed to inhibit).  But they find new ones pretty much every year, but its a slow process.

At any rate, completely stopping aging would also completely stop maturing, therefore.... if we were born with no genes for aging.. we would never develop, go through puberty, menopause, etc.   We know this.. because when we slow down aging in species... all these stages happen later than what they would normally.  So ideally, the genetic tweaking would have to be done after we mature.

Theres also alternative strategies, like Total body transplants, which wont slow the brain from aging, and regenerative stem-cell therapies which would not work for all symptoms of aging.

BTW.. If it is ONLY for the wealthy... that would have a benefit... as rich western countries are experiencing declines in birthrates.. while Africa and the Muslim world's population is spinning out of control.. so at least immortality of the West would give our population a bit of a boost.  But YES.. it would add to the already horrible population problem.

Brian