Author Topic: Does Judism allow ... Autopsies?  (Read 2467 times)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
Does Judism allow ... Autopsies?
« on: April 09, 2008, 02:26:59 PM »
If a person God foribid dies we normally have autopsies to determine the cause of death cause there are really 4 ways of death

Old age
Disease
Accidental
or Murder

Now I am a huge fan about forensic autopsy shows, and like watching Dr. G.  And this question popped in my head.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Does Judism allow ... Autopsies?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:38:31 PM »
As far as I have learned.  Generally speaking, when someone dies, it is necessary to keep his body intact where possible.  When a person first dies, and in that in between stage, that body needs to be treated with respect even to the point of not looking at it directly. When a Jewish person dies, his body his supposed to be washed in a mikva or something like that.  The person doing that is told to ask the body permission each time he wants to move a limb or anything like that.  If for any reason the burial cannot be done that day, it cannot be left alone in the coffin. Someone needs to be with it.  And you're not supposed to talk about the person even..but pray and sing psalms.

Why is this?  Because what if it someone were alive? Would it be right to stare at him?  Would it be right to just move his limbs without asking his permission?  etc etc...We were made in Gd's image..and therefore, any dead body has to be treated with respect.

Now, what does this have to do with autopsies?  Well, you are cutting into a freshly dead body...don't think it's right just do it.

But in reality, if it is not needed, autopsies should not be done.  If it is in the case of solving a murder and it will save lives, in my opinoin, it should be necessary to do.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 05:48:16 PM »
No. Also when Rav Kahane HYD was murdered they didn't make it on him, in order to catch the criminal. The truth is that, their is G-d who does justice and He will take care of it.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 05:54:44 PM »
Once again I'm going to hell; I am a pathologist.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 12:35:17 AM »
No. Also when Rav Kahane HYD was murdered they didn't make it on him, in order to catch the criminal. The truth is that, their is G-d who does justice and He will take care of it.

Tzvi, I disagree.  I only agree that Gd will do the justice.  But in the case of a murder that if it will definitively solve the mystery and catch the person and therefore prevent him from murdering others, for the sake of life, it should be ok...then again, i'm not a Rabbi, so this should depend on the dead person's family's rabbi.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 01:40:26 AM »
What if God forbid someone had a premature death out of nowhere wouldn't loved ones would like to know the cause of it?
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 02:52:35 AM »

This past October,  my Mom passed away.    She had cancer.    She didn't realize the extent of how sick she was.   G-d spared her ( and me ) by ending her suffering before the stage that she would have needed hospice care and would have realized there was no hope. 

My Mom did mention to me though around 10 days before she passed away,    that if anything did happen to her,   not to do an autopsy.     I gladly granted her that request.     It was more important to respect my Mom's wishes than to find out what the primary source ( area of the body )  the cancer came from.     My faith in G-d helped me tremendously through the most difficult period of my life.
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 08:55:31 AM »

This past October,  my Mom passed away.    She had cancer.    She didn't realize the extent of how sick she was.   G-d spared her ( and me ) by ending her suffering before the stage that she would have needed hospice care and would have realized there was no hope. 

My Mom did mention to me though around 10 days before she passed away,    that if anything did happen to her,   not to do an autopsy.     I gladly granted her that request.     It was more important to respect my Mom's wishes than to find out what the primary source ( area of the body )  the cancer came from.     My faith in G-d helped me tremendously through the most difficult period of my life.

my condolences..

and I agree that, the wish of the family and person who has died takes precendence over everything.

Offline Zevida

• Full JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 11:30:22 AM »
Here's a link to the Jewish burial society page dealing with autopsy: http://www.shemayisrael.co.il/burial/autopsy.htm

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom, eb22.
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion. (Ps 137)

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 01:42:26 PM »
I am so sorry as well for your mother eb22.

I also know it has to do with the request of the victim or the family.  But if it is sudden say for a crime scene wouldn't that be helpful?

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 09:45:58 PM »

my condolences..

and I agree that, the wish of the family and person who has died takes precendence over everything.

Thanks,  Dr. Dan.

Thankfully,   my Mom's request was one in which I totally agreed with under the circumstance.
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 09:55:15 PM »
Here's a link to the Jewish burial society page dealing with autopsy: http://www.shemayisrael.co.il/burial/autopsy.htm

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom, eb22.

Thanks,  Zevida.

I regret waiting an extra day for my Mom to be buried.    At the time,   I thought it was more important to give notification to as many people as possible,   in order for them to possibly attend the services.    One decision that I think was the right one was deciding not to look at my Mom's body.     I want to remember her when she was alive.   

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 10:03:53 PM »
I am so sorry as well for your mother eb22.

I also know it has to do with the request of the victim or the family.  But if it is sudden say for a crime scene wouldn't that be helpful?

Thanks,  Masterwolf.   I'm very sorry about the loss of your Mom.     I'm confident that her memories provide comfort and inspiration for you.   

In the case of a crime scene type of situation,    it's probably best to get the advice from a Rabbi,  Priest,  or Reverend who is very knowledgeable in the religion of the family.     For Jewish people,   Chaim's recommendation about what to do would be extremely valuable.     Maybe Chaim can make a recommendation of who specifically to talk to for people who are Catholic or Protestant.

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 10:05:49 PM »

My condolenscences, eb. I also lost both my parents recently.

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 10:15:11 PM »
   Thanks,  rellikmilsum.

My condolences to you on the loss of your parents.    I hope that each day forward brings much better times for you and your family.

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 10:46:22 PM »
   Thanks,  rellikmilsum.

My condolences to you on the loss of your parents.    I hope that each day forward brings much better times for you and your family.

Thank you. Best to you and yours also.