Author Topic: Shaving: Is it allowed in Judaism?  (Read 13160 times)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Shaving: Is it allowed in Judaism?
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 08:59:30 PM »
This is all pretty interesting, what about women lets say hair on legs or under their arms?

Not even a single girl is allowed to show her legs, I thought it was obvious.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 09:04:30 PM »
Regarding non head hair,  e.g. leg or chest or back hair, I think women can pluck hair out , or shave it.

Men Cannot pluck out hair.  (I think I read men cannot pluck out hair, in handbook of jewish thought by rabbi aryeh kaplan..)
It is making himself look womanly or perhaps, doing something that women do to make themselves look more womanly!..   I suppose a man cannot shave his legs or chest then either..

I don`t think not having a beard is considered "womanly" though! People grow the beard because of te places you cannot cut, and a kabbalistic reason, and to do more than necessary in keeping the mitzva of not cutting the beard..

don`t quote me!

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 09:10:16 PM »
A married woman shouldn't show her hair because it becomes a private part just like no woman should show her breasts.

How is head hair a private part? Why is it ok for men to show their hair but not for women?

here is a theory..  In the old days, women were really really ugly, (look at old pictures).
And growing their hair long really helped them alot!!! Made all the difference. (you should see an ugly girl with short hair compared to with long hair)

In our times women are so pretty, we don`t think about their hair that much.. Still though, alot of girls don`t look so good with short hair / hair covered, and long hair is a big improvement.

It does get problematic though in that theory.. since some girls look great and even better with hair covered. But they can`t help it!

Offline Tina Greco - Melbourne

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »
This is all pretty interesting, what about women lets say hair on legs or under their arms?

There are some sections of married Jewesses that shave everything from the neck down. But its not permitted for any other man apart from their Husbands to view it.

Every married Jewess looks the same from the outside, which is the whole plan here, what under cloth is solely for the husband. And Yes some shave others don't.

Depends on what they believe and are comfortable with, also what their husband wishes.

Its hard to explain, but waxing is preferred form of hair removal for Jewesses.

Pucking takes to much time and very painful.  :(

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
   I've been thinking about getting laser hair removal for my face so I don't have to shave anymore. I'm just hesitant to do so because once I do, there is no going back. I wonder if this would go against Judaism or just the tradition of growing a long beard.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 09:25:02 PM »
   I've been thinking about getting laser hair removal for my face so I don't have to shave anymore. I'm just hesitant to do so because once I do, there is no going back. I wonder if this would go against Judaism or just the tradition of growing a long beard.

are you out of your mind!!

what is wrong with shaving?

do you brush your teeth? bath/shower? get up in the morning? wash up plates? These things are far more of an inconvenience.

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 09:26:42 PM »
Interesting topic.
wayne jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 09:38:54 PM »
Men shaving....
I also wondered about that, if you ever got feed up with having to do that every day....

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 09:43:09 PM »
A married woman shouldn't show her hair because it becomes a private part just like no woman should show her breasts.

Why is this
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2008, 09:51:30 PM »
Men shaving....
I also wondered about that, if you ever got feed up with having to do that every day....

no need to do it every day.
a bit of beard won`t hurt you or anybody else. It`s not like body odour.

When people start asking stupid questions like "are you growing a beard?" / "becoming a rabbi".  Thne I shave it.

Never a good idea to look frummer or cleverer than you are! Better to be cleverer and frummer than you look. My view anyway, may be wrong!

No big deal to shave it. Brushing teeth is more uncomfortable.. and other things mentioned.. washing up, getting up in the morning, getting dresed in the cold... A hundred things are more inconvenient than that. Shaving doesn`t even register as a nuisance.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2008, 10:04:05 PM »
   The problem with shaving is that your skin gets infected. If you use a blade that cuts your skin, your body is susceptible to bacteria. The Kosher shaver usually does not come close enough to cut your skin. Of course every once in a while it will cut a bump anyway. I find that it hurts more because it actually pulls the hairs.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2008, 10:06:49 PM »
Men shaving....

no need to do it every day.
a bit of beard won`t hurt you or anybody else. It`s not like body odour.

When people start asking stupid questions like "are you growing a beard?" / "becoming a rabbi".  Thne I shave it.

Never a good idea to look frummer or cleverer than you are! Better to be cleverer and frummer than you look. My view anyway, may be wrong!

No big deal to shave it. Brushing teeth is more uncomfortable.. and other things mentioned.. washing up, getting up in the morning, getting dresed in the cold... A hundred things are more inconvenient than that. Shaving doesn`t even register as a nuisance.

Not to change the subject, but I believe that is personal opinion.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2008, 11:33:25 PM »

Great, now every time I see people's hair I'm going to think of your post.  ;D

Hahaha

Trust me Ruby it wears off  :::D

Gosh I hope so.

I imagined a really funny scene but I won't post it.

Yacov how are Jewish women supposed to go swimming if they can't show their armpits or legs above the knee? Are competitive swimming contests off limits to them?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:35:13 PM by Rubystars »

Offline Wayne Jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2008, 11:40:14 PM »
Funny topic but a good one!
wayne jude

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2008, 11:40:43 PM »
Gosh I hope so.

Ruby I think you have the greatest sense of humor  O0

In my line of work I see many sights, and got to say human beings are the most entertaining creatures of them all  :D ;)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2008, 10:02:31 AM »

Hahaha

Gosh I hope so.

Yacov how are Jewish women supposed to go swimming if they can't show their armpits or legs above the knee? Are competitive swimming contests off limits to them?

maybe they wear wetsuits.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2008, 10:12:28 AM »

Hahaha

Gosh I hope so.

Australia had that shark suit, maybe thats the go.

or this

^-^

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2008, 10:52:32 AM »

Hahaha

Gosh I hope so.

Most bathing suits sold in the USA show the entire legs and the arm pits so I guess they'd have to wear wet suits.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2008, 12:05:50 PM »
   The problem with shaving is that your skin gets infected. If you use a blade that cuts your skin, your body is susceptible to bacteria. The Kosher shaver usually does not come close enough to cut your skin. Of course every once in a while it will cut a bump anyway. I find that it hurts more because it actually pulls the hairs.

before I knew the method..

when I used the electric shaver, I would jump in the air or mutter "ow ooh ee ahh"  and dread it.

But then my dad showed me this thing that flips out on the side of it.. You use that, trim it down alot with that. Then it doesn't pull the hairs.

for a bump like a zit, you could either avoid the area, or just let it grow it a bit until it covers it. no prob really.

And the problem of it cutting the skin and then the skin picking something up..
That happened to me once, I had this one bristle it wasn't getting rid of, so I pushed hard.. That made the skin more susceptible to infection, and I got something.  But I don't really push hard nowadays. I don't care if it isn't perfectly smooth. I usually like a bit of a beard anyway. a bit of stubble..

Offline IslamIsCancer

• Master JTFer
  • My name is Stalinashvili.
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2008, 06:21:40 PM »
Chaim shaves, so yes it is lol.
Free Javakh!!!
I defecate on Stalin's grave.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2008, 10:20:51 PM »

Hahaha

Gosh I hope so.

Men and women are supposed to go to separate beaches.

Somehow, I wouldn't feel very comfortable being at a beach with nothing but dudes.

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2009, 01:53:01 PM »
Baser a yid on a bord eyder a bord on a yid. :laugh:

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2009, 03:21:10 PM »
Kosher razors are ok according to Hallacha for the beard. Peyot must be longer, though. You cannot trim your peyot even with a Kosher razor.
But, even if permitted, why would a Jew destroy his beard? Just to please the Goyim?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2009, 03:41:57 PM »
Kosher razors are ok according to Hallacha for the beard. Peyot must be longer, though. You cannot trim your peyot even with a Kosher razor.
But, even if permitted, why would a Jew destroy his beard? Just to please the Goyim?

I havent shaved my peyos in four years now... I sometimes braid them or put them behind my ears.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2009, 07:00:56 PM »

I havent shaved my peyos in four years now... I sometimes braid them or put them behind my ears.

braiding hair? sounds a bit effeminate to me.. or rastafarian

why braid them?

you aren't making a fashion statement I hope..

is there a chassidic sect that does it?

if not , then outside of rastas. Generally women braid their hair.. you are verging on the effeminate by doing so... you aren't meant to.