Author Topic: Parashat Metzora  (Read 1615 times)

admin

Parashat Metzora
« on: April 10, 2008, 08:21:17 PM »
B”H

Metzora

NY City Candle lighting 7:13

Shabbat ends 8:14

For world wide times on the web go to www.chabadgn.com/Candles

Shalom and Bracha!

This Shabbat we read the portion of Metzora, which concludes the laws of Tzora’at, generally translated as leprosy. One Tzora’at that is discussed this week is the Tzora’at of a house. If a stone and mortar house in Israel developed a green or red growth, the house was quarantined. If the growth expanded, the infected stones were removed. If the growth returned, the house was leveled.

When introducing the laws of Tzora’at concerning a house, the Torah uses an unusual term. “When you will enter the land of Canaan that I grant to you as an inheritance and I will give a Tzora’at in the house…” The term v’natati (I will give) seems out of place. Quarantining and leveling of a home is hardly a present. Rashi explains that when the Emorites heard that the Jewish people had left Egypt, they knew that Hashem was fulfilling His promise to Avraham to grant them the land of Israel. Fearing that the Jews would attain their wealth, they hid gold and precious stone in the wall of their houses. When a house had a Tzora’at, the owner would level the house and find the treasure.

This teaches us a significant lesson. Whatever Hashem does is for the good. Sometimes we don’t see the positive immediately, but it is for the good. When someone had a Tzora’at and had to destroy his house, it seemed like a massive financial loss and disruption of life. In fact, it was a gift.

The Gemara (Brachot 60) relates that Rabbi Akiva taught: A person should always say: “Everything that G-d does, He does for the good.” Rabbi Akiva was once traveling and he arrived in a town. He asked for lodgings and was refused. He responded: “Everything that G-d does, He does for the good,” and went to spend the night in a field.

He had with him a rooster, a donkey and a lamp. A wind came and extinguished the lamp, a cat came and ate the rooster, a lion came and ate the donkey. He reacted: “Everything that G-d does, He does for good.” That night, an army came and took the entire town captive. Rabbi Akiva told his disciples: “Did I not tell you that everything that G-d does, He does for good?” (If the lamp had been lit, the army would have seen me; if the donkey would have brayed or the rooster would have called, the army would have come and captured me.)

Chassidut teaches that the faith and trust that everything Hashem does is good is the purpose of our entire creation. Furthermore, through this trust and faith we cause Hashem to transform the hidden good to tangible good.

The Midrash (Vayikra Rabba) teaches that the leveling and rebuilding of the house alludes to the destruction and rebuilding of the Temple. Just as the beginning of Nissan was the consecration of the Tabernacle in the desert, may we see the consecration of the third Temple through Moshiach  immediately.

Rabbi Biggs

Dedicated to Chaya Yehudit Bat Leah for a full and speedy recovery. May Hashem grant her a long, healthy and joyous life.

A project of Chabad of Great Neck

400 East Shore Rd.

Great Neck NY 11024

516 4874554       fax 516 4874807

B”H

Yud Aleph Nissan

Shalom and Bracha!

This Wednesday, April 16th, marks the Rebbe’s 106rd birthday. On a person’s birthday, his Mazal is intensified. On the birthday of the leader of the generation, the Mazal of the entire Jewish people is strengthened. It is a very auspicious day to dedicate ourselves to strengthening Judaism, particularly reaching out to others and encouraging them to reclaim their heritage. Specifically, if you know anyone that needs Matzah, or a Seder, or to sell their Chametz, now is the time to help them. The Rebbe used to risk his life distributing Shemurah Matzah in Nazi occupied France. It is an appropriate time to increase support for he institutions the Rebbe began. If anyone would like prayers offered on their behalf by the Rebbe’s resting place, please contact me by e mail at [email protected] or by fax at (516) 487 4807. Donations can be sent to Chabad of Great Neck at the address below.

Because the Seder falls on Saturday night, there are special changes to the regular schedule. The fast of the firstborn is on Thursday. The search for Chametz is Thursday night, and the blessing and Kol Chamira are said as usual. The sale of Chametz s performed on Friday, although it takes effect Saturday. The Chametz is burned on Friday at the regular time. Kol Chamira, the nullification of Chametz, is not said on Friday.

Friday night, Hamotzie is made on Challah. Extreme care should be taken that no crumbs fall on the Passover table or utensils. All crumbs should be flushed down the toilet, not the sink that has been made Kosher for Pesach. It is advisable to eat a minimum of bread. Shabbat morning prayers are said early in order to eat before the prohibition of Chametz. Hamotzie is made on Challah as the night before. In New York City, it is forbidden to eat Chametz after 10:39 a.m. Elsewhere, consult your local Rabbi or check http://www.chabadgn.com/holidays/passover/pesach.asp?AID=1723 . Thereafter, all remaining Chametz and crumbs must be flushed. Thereafter, the Kol Chamira is recited. In New York the Chometz must be flushed and Kol Chamira must be said by 11:46. Seudah Shlishit is fulfilled with fruit.

In order to start the Seder as soon as possible, preparations should be done Friday. The eggs should be boiled, the bone must be roasted, the salt water should be mixed, the romaine lettuce should be cleaned and checked, and whatever can be done on Friday should be done. Saturday night candles are lit from an existing flame after nightfall. Havdallah is included in Kiddush and in the Bracha asher G’alanu (over the second cup) the words Min Hapesachim Umin Hazevachim are reversed as printed in the Haggadah.

There is a great Pesach website at http://www.chabadgn.com/holidays/passover

Because of the great expenses involved with the holiday, a special collection called Maot Chittim is made throughout the Jewish community to provide the needy with Passover expenses. Whoever would like to participate in this charity can send a check to

Chabad Pesach Fund, 400 East Shore Road, Great Neck NY, 11024

Those who would prefer to donate via credit card can call my office at (516) 487 4554 or contact me via e-mail at [email protected].

May Hashem grant that this year we will celebrate Pesach as one great family in Yerushalayim together with Moshiach.

Shalom,

Rabbi Biggs

In memory of Chaim Ben Benyamin Rosenberg. May this Yahrtzeit elevate his soul to even greater heights and may his soul be bound in the eternal bond of life.

Form for selling Chametz

I,                                              , hereby authorize Rabbi Biggs or Rabbi Osdoba or their appointees to sell or arrange the sale of all Chametz and Chametz derivatives that are in my possession. My address is

My business address is     

Signature

Date

A project of Chabad of Great Neck

400 East Shore Rd.

Great Neck NY 11024

516 4874554       fax 516 4874807

The Talmud teaches that increasing Torah study brings Hashem's protection to the Jewish people and particularly to the people of Israel. If you know of anyone who might enjoy Torah e mail, please send me their addresses.

The primary stress of Pesach is teaching our children. The Silverstein Hebrew Academy will be holding a Chinese Auction to provide urgently needed funds for Jewish education. Please go to www.theshaauction.com  and participate generously. Enter the word Torah by the coupon code and receive a free bonus!