Author Topic: Seeking Book Recommendations  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Unite_For_Israel

• New JTFer
Seeking Book Recommendations
« on: April 17, 2008, 01:04:19 PM »
Hello there.  I just posted an introduction.  I won't repeat what I wrote there.  I had a couple of questions. I hope this is the right folder to post those in.  I was raised a Christian.  Lately I've started studying about Judaism.  I'm also a strong supporter of the Jewish people and Israel.  I wanted to ask you for some book recommendations. 

For someone interested in learning more about Judaism, what books would you most recommend?

For those wanting to read more political type books about Israel, what's going on there, the threat from Islam, the Jewish people in general, etc., what ones would you recommend?

Hope I didn't confuse anybody with that last question.  I wasn't sure exactly how to write what I was seeking. 

Thanks so much.  I appreciate it.  Take care.  G-d bless you all.

Sincerely, Keith 

Offline FULL METAL JACKET

• Senior JTFer
Re: Seeking Book Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 01:22:37 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here is a list of books I recommend about Judaism in general, Kahane, and the whole political situation:

The Guide to the Perplexed by Maimonides
The Jewish Idea by Meir Kahane
The Case for A Larger Israel by David Naggar
Reclaiming the Temple Mount by David Ha'Ivri
Londonistan by Melanie Phillips
Sleeping with the Devil: How Washington Sold Our Soul for Saudi Crude by Robert Baer
When Silence is a Sin by Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson

If I find more books on my shelf to recommend I'll post them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:30:55 PM by FULL METAL JACKET »
Formely known as "1986"

Offline Unite_For_Israel

• New JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 02:14:20 PM »
Thank you so much.  I'll definitely check those out. 

I can't believe I forgot this one. 

What would be a good edition of the Hebrew Bible for someone to get?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 02:20:39 PM by Unite_For_Israel »

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 03:04:52 PM »
The tanach the five books of Jewish testatment plus the prophets and psalms
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Unite_For_Israel

• New JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 03:09:10 PM »

I've seen one on Art Scroll's website.  It's called the Stone Edition Tanakh.  They've got a larger and student size.  Here's the link to the student one. 

http://www.artscroll.com/Products/STGS.html

Any thoughts on that one?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 03:19:41 PM »

I've seen one on Art Scroll's website.  It's called the Stone Edition Tanakh.  They've got a larger and student size.  Here's the link to the student one. 

http://www.artscroll.com/Products/STGS.html

Any thoughts on that one?
YES I HAVE THAT ONE MYSELF EXCELLENT
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline TorahTruth

• New JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 09:02:07 PM »

Here is a list of books I recommend about Judaism in general, Kahane, and the whole political situation:

Sleeping with the Devil: How Washington Sold Our Soul for Saudi Crude by Robert Baer

The Moreh Nevuchim is defenitly not something for a begginer is Judaism.

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 09:35:58 PM »

All of your recommendations are good except for David HaIvri the informer. HaIvri ratted to the authorities against Yekutiel's dog program in Tapuach.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 09:44:01 PM »
"The Guide to the Perplexed by Maimonides
The Jewish Idea by Meir Kahane "

Dont know about the other books, but these- Rav Kahane's book not good for beginners, and the other book not really that good for anyone in this generation unless one is already involved in deep philosophy and then needs to be somewhat freed from it, thus the title guide to the perplexed .

Other books for beginners( and others included) - "Garden Of Emuna" - By the great Rav Shalom Arush Shlita. (just make a search, expecially under lazerbeams website.
  Also get Hebrew/ English prayer book.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 10:01:37 PM »

All of your recommendations are good except for David HaIvri the informer. HaIvri ratted to the authorities against Yekutiel's dog program in Tapuach.
Wow I had no idea! And I gave my hard earned money to that snake to buy that book. Thanks for letting me know.
Formely known as "1986"

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 11:27:29 PM »
Yeah and Guide to the Perplexed is probably best for someone more advanced isn't it? 

The stone chumash is excellent.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 11:28:16 PM »
Thanks for all these righteous book recommendations O0

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 11:31:24 PM »
Yeah and Guide to the Perplexed is probably best for someone more advanced isn't it? 

In my opinion, and also I heard from others, NO. We dont need to get into philosophy. Their is better ways to serve G-d, mainly threw Emuna.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Unite_For_Israel

• New JTFer
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 11:53:05 PM »
Thanks so much. 

The Garden Of Emuna book looks fantastic.

I'm glad that the Stone Edition Tanakh is recommended.  It really looked good from what I could tell on the site.  Do you guys think it better to get the full size (7" x 10") or the student size (5 1/2" x 8 1/2")?  I wasn't sure which one of these that you guys thought would be the better size for someone to get.

Also is there a particular Hebrew/English prayer book that you recommend?

Thanks again.  Take care.

Sincerely, Keith

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 11:56:01 PM »

In my opinion, and also I heard from others, NO. We dont need to get into philosophy. Their is better ways to serve G-d, mainly threw Emuna.
While I do admit The Guide to the Perplexed isn't the easiest thing in the world to read, first of all Maimonides style of writing makes the reader bring up his own conclusions. He doesn't really spell things out in the book to make the readers life easier which is incredible I think, it adds to it and definitely helps one understand the Torah. The other part is that most of the English translations are written in older British English. Might be a bit difficult at first but you'll get used to it.

The Guide to the Perplexed is highly recommended and a must read to understand the thinking of one of the greatest Rabbi's that ever lived.
Formely known as "1986"

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 12:13:11 AM »

While I do admit The Guide to the Perplexed isn't the easiest thing in the world to read, first of all Maimonides style of writing makes the reader bring up his own conclusions. He doesn't really spell things out in the book to make the readers life easier which is incredible I think, it adds to it and definitely helps one understand the Torah. The other part is that most of the English translations are written in older British English. Might be a bit difficult at first but you'll get used to it.

The Guide to the Perplexed is highly recommended and a must read to understand the thinking of one of the greatest Rabbi's that ever lived.

Yea but it was never meant to be a popular book in order to get close to the Holy One Blessed be He. I was and is really a response and antidote agains't those who get themselves involved with Philosophy. The Jewish World at the time rejected this work, but the Ramban explained that its not really for the believers but its for those who had questions raised because of the philosophy that was popular at the time. The Ramban himself also studied philosophy, but said that the people should not get themselves involved in it and should not study it, as did other great Rabbis.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 02:48:58 AM »

Yea but it was never meant to be a popular book in order to get close to the Holy One Blessed be He. I was and is really a response and antidote agains't those who get themselves involved with Philosophy. The Jewish World at the time rejected this work, but the Ramban explained that its not really for the believers but its for those who had questions raised because of the philosophy that was popular at the time. The Ramban himself also studied philosophy, but said that the people should not get themselves involved in it and should not study it, as did other great Rabbis.

But many would argue those who 'rejected' Rambam's work(s) were wrong for doing so, and one great rabbi even wrote an entire sefer on repentance because he himself felt really bad that he had been one of Rambam's detractors. 

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 05:04:41 AM »
Standing With Israel Why Christians support the Jewish State

By David Borg
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Unite_For_Israel

• New JTFer
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 10:32:09 AM »
Standing With Israel Why Christians support the Jewish State

By David Borg

This book looks quite intriguing, especially for someone like me who was raised in a Christian home.