Poll

Do you support the amended Law of Return (1970) allowing non-halacha "Jews" to be citizens and other people to become naturalized?

Yes, I support this ammendment.  
5 (31.3%)
No, only those Halachically Jewish (Born to a Jewish mother or had an Orthodox converision.) should be allowed citizenship.
9 (56.3%)
I don't know.
0 (0%)
Yes:  but non-halacha Jews should be given a designation (e.g., "non-Jew") but allowed citizenship
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Israeli citizenship  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
Israeli citizenship
« on: April 23, 2008, 08:48:12 PM »
I was wondering what everyone thought of Israel's citizenship law allowing those with spouses or grandparents who are Jews to become citizens, while not necessarily being halachaly Jewish. 

From the MFA website

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/MFAArchive/2000_2009/2001/8/Acquisition%20of%20Israeli%20Nationality

On the establishment of the State, its founders proclaimed "...the renewal of the Jewish State in the Land of Israel, which would open wide the gates of the homeland to every Jew...." In pursuance of this tenet, the State of Israel has absorbed survivors of the Holocaust, refugees from the countries in which they had resided, as well as many thousands of Jews who came to settle in Israel of their own volition.

The Law of Return (1950) grants every Jew, wherever he or she may be, the right to come to Israel as an oleh (a Jew immigrating to Israel) and become an Israeli citizen.

For the purposes of this Law, "Jew" means a person who was born of a Jewish mother or has converted to Judaism and is not a member of another religion.

Israeli citizenship becomes effective on the day of arrival in the country or of receipt of an oleh's certificate, whichever is later. A person may declare, within three months, that he/she does not wish to become a citizen.

Since 1970 the right to immigrate under this Law has been extended to include the child and the grandchild of a Jew, the spouse of a Jew, the spouse of a child of a Jew and the spouse of a grandchild of a Jew. The purpose of this amendment is to ensure the unity of families where intermarriage had occurred; it does not apply to persons who had been a Jews and had voluntarily changed their religion.

---------------------

There's also that part at the bottom about being able to become Naturalized, which I'm assuming could mean a person from say China could move to Israel and work on some visa, live there for at least 3 years and apply for citizenship if he could prove to renounce his citizenship. 

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Israeli citizenship
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:57:32 PM »
Too many nazis get in that way
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:10:41 PM »
bear in mind that this amendment would allow protection for those facing anti-semitism who are otherwise not halachally Jewish.  Do you think the "real" nazis care what the Halacha says on the matter? 

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:18:54 PM »
bear in mind that this amendment would allow protection for those facing anti-semitism who are otherwise not halachally Jewish.  Do you think the "real" nazis care what the Halacha says on the matter? 
no but they come in with one Jewish great grand parent then paint nazi stuff on shuls
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:21:19 PM »
I reset the poll as I added a new option. 

I also want people to bear in mind that most Nazi, anti-semite, anti-Israel scum could careless what the Halacha has to say about having to have a Jewish mother in order to be Jewish.  Thus, I feel this amendment offers a safe haven for people suffering anti-semitism who happen to not be halachally Jewish.  In short, to Nazi scum, Jewish father or mother, doesn't matter, if you're Jewish, you're going to be persecuted. 

Offline Khazan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 09:23:43 PM »
no but they come in with one Jewish great grand parent then paint nazi stuff on shuls

I saw what you're talking about on zootube.  That's just one sour grape.  Take me for example, I was praying in the shul on the birthright trip I went on. 

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 09:25:55 PM »

I saw what you're talking about on zootube.  That's just one sour grape.  Take me for example, I was praying in the shul on the birthright trip I went on. 
But nazi like behavior should be subject to deported

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 12:41:34 PM »
I think the son of a Jew, or the grandson of two jewish grandfathers should be allowed in. And I believe that the spouse and the minor children of such person should also be able to come with him (obviously), but the adult children and other relatives shouldn't get this right automatically.