Author Topic: Significance of Astrology In Judaism  (Read 2154 times)

admin

Significance of Astrology In Judaism
« on: April 29, 2008, 08:19:41 PM »
Significance of Astrology In Judaism

In Judaism, Astrology is not regarded as "idol worship," even though the generic name for "idol worship" is "Avodat Kochavim U'Mazalot," Worship of the Stars and the Signs of the Zodiac."

From the Jewish perspective, the stars are not unrelated to events on earth. It is not irrelevant whether one was born on Pesach, or Yom Kippur, or Lag Ba'Omer or on any particular day. Each day is special and has a unique imprint.

On the other hand, if an individual was born under the "sign" of Mars, the Talmud says that he will have a tendency to spill blood. This tendency can be realized in a number of very different ways, however, which are subject to an individual's choice. In this case, options might be a soldier, a surgeon, a murderer, a "shochet," a ritual slaughterer of animals, or a "mohel," one who performs ritual circumcisions. These options correspond to a potential hero, a healer, one who violates the "image of G-d," to those who do "holy work" of different types.

There is a principle, "Ayn Mazal L'Yisrael," "Israel's fate is not determined by the stars." The Jew, raised in his People's traditions and Torah values, feels the reality of "freedom of choice" in his bones. So deeply ingrained is this knowledge and feeling, that the Jew rarely has cause to think about astrological factors.

It is the belief that one cannot escape from the grip of the stars that distinguishes Astrology from "Worship of the Stars and Signs of the Zodiac." It is always possible to define one's fate, by choosing behavior which is guided by morality and integrity, within the parameters - intellectual and emotional, physical and spiritual, which a person is given to work with.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Significance of Astrology In Judaism
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:54:27 PM »
 O0  , The last page of Tractate Shabb-t talks about it. And the conclusion is that both sides are correct - that Mazal has an influence and that "their is no Mazal for Israel", also check out the stories that demonstrate how. The point is that really G-d determined to put each Jewish soul, in the time t obe born and to have what character traits allready inherited from before. Now that he or she is born they would have certain tendencies, both either good or bad, but the point is that one can overcome any "mazal" one has. If one is bloodthirsty, they can work on their personality threw the Torah and extract it out, or better yet they can channel their energy and tenedcies into something positive. Or if one is destined to be poor, then they can pray to G-d, and maybe He will change their Mazal (in many cases, with some exceptions like we see in the Talmud with some Tannaim, whom had to be poor, and only fulfil their mission by that way).
  On the other hand also believing some negative things like being afraid of cats crossing the street, or believing too much in demons, or evil eye getting you, even though some of these things can happen (for example the evil eye, where the Talmud says that the overwealming majority of people die because of it), one simply should not believe in these things as hurting you. One should say in his heart and mind that their is only G-d, and He is incharge of everything and no one or nothing can hurt you without His approval and His want. And a thousand black cats can cross the street and nothing will happen to you if you dont believe in it, but have Emuna in G-d. While on the other hand if you believe that a black cat crossing the street and then you cross will hurt you, then G-d forbid something bad can happen, we can hear of someone like that getting a car accident the next week (G-d forbid). Its all in the power of your Thoughts that G-d has given you.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/