Author Topic: Shaving?  (Read 12449 times)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Shaving?
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 02:43:58 AM »
it's really bad to have jews shamelessly and continuously praising treif(non-kosher) shavers, including their own.. Even after it has been pointed out that these are treif.

religious jews use electric shavers. (and there is a thing that flips out at the back, that stops it from being a painful experience when the beard gets long)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 02:46:43 AM »
I agree about electric shavers, tried it for about a month and it irritated the hell out of me even with water, I use the mach 3 ones where you can switch the blades, they get the skin smooth too.

Those aren't kosher because the blade touches the skin in the 5 places that it is forbidden. That is why I use and electric razor

I dont get it a blade touching your skin in 5 places is not kosher
Why?

As I understand it.  There are certain places, and disagreement as to whether they are, where a blade is not allowed to touch. Or it may be that it is forbidden to remove those hairs "completely". that may be it.

So religious jews use electric ones.

note- there is an issue with electric ones too, some pluck the hair out, which is forbidden. It is forbidden for men to pluck hair out - any hair..

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 03:11:23 AM »
The 5 places on your face are the two paiot, The 2 chekes and the bottom of your chin. Blood is also a huge problem. There are 2 kinds of Jewish laws. Those which make sence like don't kill and don't steal. But the other kind are those which don't make sence until you see where God is coming from, like keeping the Sabbath Holy or not to eat pork or shellfish. At first a normal person would say why shouldn't I work on Saturday but if you are observant you would see why. God created the heavans and the earth in 6 days and rested and thus we rest. Christinans do the same on Sunday
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 03:16:14 AM »
The 5 places on your face are the two paiot, The 2 chekes and the bottom of your chin. Blood is also a huge problem. There are 2 kinds of Jewish laws. Those which make sence like don't kill and don't steal. But the other kind are those which don't make sence until you see where G-d is coming from, like keeping the Sabbath Holy or not to eat pork or shellfish. At first a normal person would say why shouldn't I work on Saturday but if you are observant you would see why. G-d created the heavans and the earth in 6 days and rested and thus we rest. Christinans do the same on Sunday

But can someone explain how shaving with a blade is not Kosher

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 04:25:47 AM »
probably like I said, that a razer blade is too close.

That is forbidden. Razer blades are explicitly forbidden.

This link mentions a braisa, I think that is an oral tradition that was recorded later.. But an oral tradition it is. From Sinai.

As has been mentioned.. The only reason Why we do things, is because G-d says so.
Any other reasons are secondary and unnecessary.

http://chareidi.shemayisrael.com/REI66features2.htm
The mishnah (Makkos 3:) states that the prohibition against shaving is only transgressed when one shaves with a razor (ta'ar). The source of this Halochoh is the Torah's use of two different expressions for the forbidden action. In parshas Kedoshim, hashchosoh (destroying the hairs) is forbidden while in parshas Emor the term gilu'ach (shaving) is used. Through a gezeira shovo, Chazal learn that each posuk's expression applies to the other posuk as well (Kiddushin 35). Thus, only the use of an instrument that both shaves and destroys the hairs is forbidden. A beraissa in the gemora states that a ta'ar is such an instrument, hence the mishnah's ruling. [It should be pointed out that although the Hebrew hashchosoh is translated as "destroying," it lacks the English word's connotation of the destruction's being irrevocable. The Torah forbids the complete removal of facial hair, even though it grows back.]

Offline Jasmina

• Master JTFer
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 06:01:01 AM »
what do you use to shave ?

I myself use a straight edge razor

I find this post funny! ;D ;D ;D
The whole system works because everyone is not mentally ill on the same day!!!!

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 08:34:51 AM »
it's really bad to have jews shamelessly and continuously praising treif(non-kosher) shavers, including their own.. Even after it has been pointed out that these are treif.

religious jews use electric shavers. (and there is a thing that flips out at the back, that stops it from being a painful experience when the beard gets long)

Since you are mostly correct, I won't argue about it. The only difference between a normal razor and an electric one is that it has combs which are about a mm thick to separate the blade from cutting the skin. Keep in mind that these combs don't completely prevent the blades from cutting the skin and every once in a while you still get cut with an electric razor.

The same thing can be done with a regular razor, except it is not done because the combs make the shave less efficient. If you got your own comb, a regular razor would be just as kosher as an electric shaver. The question is whether anyone makes any.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 10:59:20 AM »
So what about clipping fingernails, is there kosher fingernail clippers too?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 11:06:51 AM »

No.

The thing about facial hair is because of certain areas of the face where the hair cannot be cut.  It's not some man made law..

It's just like with kosher meat.. The law is split hoof and chew the cud.

It's not like the man made muslim law that if it has sharp teeth, or if it's a pig, e.t.c.

It seems this law about shaving is straight from tradition.  Not even rabbinical law..

There is a law against men plucking hairs, and that applies to hair anywhere. I think that one is under the category of dressing or making yourself look womanly or more womanly. Which is forbidden.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2008, 11:40:15 AM »

No.

The thing about facial hair is because of certain areas of the face where the hair cannot be cut.  It's not some man made law..

It's not like the man made muslim law that if it has sharp teeth, or if it's a pig, e.t.c.

It seems this law about shaving is straight from tradition.  Not even rabbinical law..

There is a law against men plucking hairs, and that applies to hair anywhere. I think that one is under the category of dressing or making yourself look womanly or more womanly. Which is forbidden.

I guess, I think people do it more for hygiene purposes than anything.

doesn't that mean majority of Jews/Israelis are violating scripture? Does that imply that you have to have hair on certain places of your face? (not referring to head)

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2008, 12:26:45 PM »

No.

I guess, I think people do it more for hygiene purposes than anything.

you mean less observant people shaving.. and seculars shaving, and gentiles shaving..

I don't think it's hygiene.. just not wanting to attract attention or look weird.

There is nothing unhygienic about a beard. It doesn't have to be massive.

Some observant jews trim the beard alot or completely, with an electric shaver, because they work, and want to look "normal"..

I knew some muslims that didn't wan to grow a beard because it would be hard to be accepted by society.

doesn't that mean majority of Jews/Israelis are violating scripture? Does that imply that you have to have hair on certain places of your face? (not referring to head)

well..
scripture/tenach says
 Leviticus 19:27 that "Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard."

so I suppose following scripture safely, one would have to have a beard .
or if you know where the corners are or are not, then you could have a funny looking beard.

Thing is though..
tenach/scripture is not the source for what we do.  The Oral law is.

That is not to say we go against the tenach.. The tenach hints at everything..

and the oral torah explains things in it.. and adds more information..

It may be explained that a very small beard- like microscopic, is fine!  Or to put it another way.

The rule is purely about not cutting the corners of the ***facial hair***.  So the facial hair does not necessarily have to be to the extent of what we would consider a beard.

I don't know much about that law..

But here's an example of the tenach saying something, (even apparently contradicting itself). But us going by the oral law, which also happens to reconcile the problem in tenach..

The oral law is our source

For example, the tenach says, regarding pesach.
eat matza for 7 days.
eat matza 6 days
(an apparent contradiction)

deut 16:3  (found via google)
16:3 Do not eat any leaven with it. As part of [the celebration] you
shall eat matzah for seven days.

numbers 28:17  (numbers 28 is famous special maftir)
28:17 Then, on the 15th day, a festival shall begin, when matzahs shall
be eaten for seven days

The command to eat matzah appears ten times in the Torah. Nine times the command is for seven days, "Seven days shall you eat matzah" (Exodus 12:15). The tenth time, however, says, "Six days you shall eat unleavened bread" (Deuteronomy 16:8)

The oral tradition says eat matza one day, and  gives a rule we have by tradition, that is used for deriving meaning from the tenach.   It is a rule to derive information that has been divinely encoded into the text. (a rabbi logic professor said something like, the rule is not logical or illogical. It's not a different logic.  It's a rule from the author, for deriving meaning from tenach )
Here is the discussion of the problem, and mention of the rule being applied.

Mekhilta, Pischa 8 (Lauterbach)
One verse says "Seven days you shall eat matzah" and one verse says
"Six day you shall eat matzah." How can both of these verses be
maintained? The seventh day was included (in the first verse) but
then
excluded (from the second verse). That which is excluded from a more
inclusive statement is meant to teach us about the whole statement.
So,
just as on the seventh day it is optional (r'shut), so on all of the
other days, it is optional. Does this mean that it is optional on the
first night also? The verse "In the first month, on the fourteenth
day
in the evening, you shall eat matzah" (Exodus 12:18) fixes it as an
obligation (hovah) to eat matzah on the first night.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 02:41:09 PM »

I do believe that they are. Yes to answer your question
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 02:44:06 PM »

Since you are mostly correct, I won't argue about it. The only difference between a normal razor and an electric one is that it has combs which are about a mm thick to separate the blade from cutting the skin. Keep in mind that these combs don't completely prevent the blades from cutting the skin and every once in a while you still get cut with an electric razor.

The same thing can be done with a regular razor, except it is not done because the combs make the shave less efficient. If you got your own comb, a regular razor would be just as kosher as an electric shaver. The question is whether anyone makes any.

So what is they praise what non kosher shaver
what non Jews have to not shave with a blade because it is non Kosher?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 03:55:04 PM »

Jews should not be praising non kosher shavers, or pork chops.

gentiles are welcome to praise kosher shavers..

though praising pork chops on the JTF forum would be a bit inappropriate.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 04:09:41 PM »

Jews should not be praising non kosher shavers, or pork chops.

gentiles are welcome to praise kosher shavers..

though praising pork chops on the JTF forum would be a bit inappropriate.

What do you mean praising pork chops?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 04:20:30 PM »

Well, you know, if you praise pork chops, then the wolf in your avatar may get teased, it's not nice. You haven't fed him for years.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 05:48:16 PM »

Well, you know, if you praise pork chops, then the wolf in your avatar may get teased, it's not nice. You haven't fed him for years.
:D :D :D

Offline Daniel Ben Hanania

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2008, 01:57:26 PM »
Electric. Philips as well.
NEVER AGAIN !!!

• Master JTFer
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 07:07:38 PM »
   I just want to let everyone know. After thinking about my actions, I am going to give my electric razor another shot. It is not as effective, but it doesn't cut my skin. I would love to see an electric razor design where the blades were spread out more like the fusion.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2008, 07:15:54 PM »
   I just want to let everyone know. After thinking about my actions, I am going to give my electric razor another shot. It is not as effective, but it doesn't cut my skin. I would love to see an electric razor design where the blades were spread out more like the fusion.
Have you ever used this one

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 10:20:03 PM »
why spread out? does it help for a close shave?
a close shave is unnecessary.
why bother?

I just flip the thing off the back , shave the bulk off.
The front of the shaver does more than enough.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 10:21:21 PM »
why bother?

They made it that way so it would conture to the face like on the jaw line

• Master JTFer
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 07:44:54 PM »
why bother?

Because the hair gets clogged in between the blades when they are too close.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2008, 04:30:23 PM »
Real men shave with a butter knife.

:::D :::D :::D :::D

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2008, 07:19:55 PM »
why (look for a shaver with the metal circles more) spread out? does it help for a close shave?
why bother?

Because the hair gets clogged in between the blades when they are too close.

You flip the back off and shave the bulk off.  (otherwise it's uncomfortable)
And if doing that, then you won't clog it up that much.
Because obviously using the back doesn't clog anything up except perhaps your sink. So then it's just the bits that go in the shaver itself..  Not much.

And big deal.. You use ea vacuum cleaner right? you empty the thing.

It's easy to empty a shaver. tap it against the sink and turn on the tap. Or vice versa.

It's harder to clean a plate.. You should try it! ( cleaning a plate!)