Author Topic: Question for youtube videos  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Question for youtube videos
« on: June 08, 2008, 02:42:59 AM »
Anyone know if a "video" made on Windows PhotoStory 3 can be uploaded as a youtube video?  (Or converted to a format that can)?   

This may be my only means of making a video, but I am in the process of making a pretty decent one...

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Question for youtube videos
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 02:49:31 AM »

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:04:33 AM »
Thanks, actually I think it saves these files as a windows media file too so I shouldn't need to convert, but if I do this site will probably get it done...

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 06:12:40 AM »
Ok everyone, I stayed up all night making this obama video (whitey).... I just have to upload it to youtube now and we're all set..... I hope I get a nap in later so I can stay up learning tonight for Shavuot.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 06:56:02 AM »
BUmp.  Will youtube take my video down for copyright infringement if I put a linkin park song as my background music??  Or is that legit?   I see some other videos in a quick search for 'linkin park numb' that do this without violation, but reading the copyright rules it seems it would be a violation.  Anyone know?

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 07:12:41 AM »
Anyone know?? I don't want to bring any lawsuits on myself or JTF.... Should I cut the music track out of my video?

I have included in the video description:

Copyright info:  Linkin Park's song "Numb" is the sole property of Linkin Park under Warner Bros. Records -All Rights Reserved
http://www.youtube.com/user/linkinparktv
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 07:21:52 AM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 07:35:23 AM »
Its only my opinion but I say upload it as it is. I see videos with all sorts of music on them and I am sure they use it with out permission. You are not making money off of the video and you are doing it as an individual the wost I can see happening is that youtube will remove it in its present form or you will be asked to remove it yourself.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline underthesun

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 07:47:30 AM »
Anyone know?? I don't want to bring any lawsuits on myself or JTF.... Should I cut the music track out of my video?

This might depend on the country you are living in.
I have heard that 6 sec samples are always free, but this my be a german rule.

I doubt JTF could be sued for this.

If warner brothers complains, youtube might take the video of.

Offline underthesun

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 07:58:21 AM »
Music is probably not a good choice in that context.
At least not at the beginning, because people will immediately think that there won't be a sample of the whitey-tape.

It is much more work, but I think it would be best to have an announcement at the start
like "what happened so far" or anything that suggest that the sample might come later.

Then sound samples of Wright speeches.

Then maybe maybe blend in some music.

The Question 'You still need a "WHITEY" video???' is brilliant O0

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 08:35:55 AM »
youtube won't be indicting some users and not others.

Maybe the music company could in theory. But ditto them. Infact, I would say they aren't going to indict somebody when other music companies are not. Like banks, they don't want to develop a reputation of being vidictive. It's bad for business. And youtube is a big community of people that can make videos, and of people that are tehir target market. And there would be a huge attack on them, it would be big news and work against them. It's not worth it for them.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 01:17:33 PM »
Re:  "...I see some other videos in a quick search for 'linkin park numb' that do this without violation, but reading the copyright rules it seems it would be a violation.  Anyone know?"

It IS a copyright violation to do so unless you have received the band's express permission to use their material without paying all legal licensing fees.

You're correct that others do it all the time, and probably get away with it because
a)nobody pays them any attention, and
b) their videos will be down and long forgotten very soon, and
c) litigation is meaningless because it cost more in lawyer fees and court costs to sue some "dead-beat" who made a stupid video.

However:  Should you decide to use copyrighted material anyway, and should your video then become immensely popular, perhaps even getting a mention in some media outlet for being either great, or full of hate; THEN you may have a major league problem on your hands.

You can do a search for thousands of good songs under "public domain" to use without any problems.

I can assure you Linkin Park will have a bright Jewish lawyer after you and your assets, should you one day have enough money and assets to come steal.

YouTube is not legally responsible to Linkin Park...YOU are if you use their material in a work which you upload there.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 01:29:54 PM »
you could upload it in an internet cafe then

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »
you could upload it in an internet cafe then

It could work that way.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 12:24:41 AM »

You can do a search for thousands of good songs under "public domain" to use without any problems.

How does one go about this, is there a particular database on the internet listing songs considered to be in the public domain?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 12:30:21 AM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 12:38:22 AM »

How does one go about this, is there a particular database on the internet listing songs considered to be in the public domain?

You know 10 minutes ago I told you about using google

A google search brought up
The very first link was a database.
http://www.pdinfo.com/list.htm

one might ask him if he suggests a particular database though.

or particular category of music..
or song

though I notice there is one for
http://www.pdinfo.com/listPDsongs/PDPatrioticSongs.htm

yes, that's Patriotic songs.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 01:44:13 AM »
I am not a computer whiz, this subject of music public domain is completely foreign to me.  If I had no idea what youtube was and I did a google search for "online videos" would I necessarily get youtube?  Or could I also get a whole slew of sites that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for?  But thanks for the info.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 02:33:20 AM »
I am not a computer whiz, this subject of music public domain is completely foreign to me. 

one has nothing to do with the other.

you don't need to be a computer whiz to realise that.

music that is in the public domain has no more to do with computers than a reshut harabim and reshut hayached (public and private domain related to carrying on shabbat - I think) have to do with DNS.

If I had no idea what youtube was and I did a google search for "online videos" would I necessarily get youtube?  Or could I also get a whole slew of sites that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for?  But thanks for the info.

Irrelevant.
All you had to google was the term Massuh gave you, which was music public domain.

The relevant website came up.  Public Domain Music

There is no computer concept of "music public domain". Those are keywords.

You just need to know how to use a search engine.

Why don't you ask about that? Or experiment and figure it out.

He actually wrote in terms that are googlable.

You ask an enormous amount of "what is" questions, which can be answered by a search engine. in the first link, and a thousand other places on it.

This other time you failed to use google was only some hours ago.. The problem is at -your- end.

How long did you spend googling before you asked?

0 seconds?

And if you did Google (which you didn't) then i'd be interested to know what you googled, 'cos it clearly wasn't the terms that Massuh used in his post.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 06:04:49 AM »
Irrelevant.

Nope, it isn't.  My point was an example.  It was not something that I actually googled in search of Massuh's reference.  I was making an analogy.  If the subject at hand was an online video database Massuh had in mind (Say, youtube), which hypothetically I had known nothing about either the subject of videos or the name of the particular site he had in mind, and I hypothetically typed in a google search with "online videos" - then, like I said already "would I necessarily get youtube?  Or could I also get a whole slew of sites that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for?"

Only in this case we are talking about a music database rather than videos.

Massuh obviously speaks as if he has some degree of knowledge on this subject, so I would like his recommendations.  I don't know why you take such issue with this.   I did indeed look at the site from the google search you mentioned and the selection there is abysmal, but maybe that's just all there is.

There is no computer concept of "music public domain". Those are keywords.

Hmm, it's not a computer concept but it is a concept.  And it exists in the world of computers with which I can access it.  Maybe I didn't word that statement correctly when I said I'm not a computer expert.  Perhaps it should have said, 'I am not knowledgable about music, its regulations, or its various methods of distribution, especially those involving the internet.'

You ask an enormous amount of "what is" questions, which can be answered by a search engine.

I do, really?  Or did I just do it twice within a few hours and so you assumed I do it all the time?  Or do you have a whole backlist of Kahane-was-right BT posts that you have stored on your hard drive to present and prove your new thesis that I am a chronic "what is" asker?

Sometimes if I ask a question on a forum, it can be perhaps because I would like to get an opinion of a person on the forum rather than google search it.  I am researching enough things all the time in other matters.  Regardless of that, I just don't see why it should matter so much to you what I write, but I guess I'm kind of flattered in a strange way.

This other time you failed to use google was only some hours ago
Wait, I thought it was an enormous amount of 'what is' questions that I ask?  Does this latest time and "this other time" some hours ago together constitute the "enormous amount?"

q_q I hope you are taking this lightly, as I certainly am.  You seem to be a bit moody or upset with me.  Nothing I can really do about that.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 07:50:13 AM »
more question marks, I'm glad these are rhetorical questions, you're improving.