Author Topic: Judaism as a Civilization?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
Judaism as a Civilization?
« on: June 25, 2008, 01:13:16 AM »
Judaism as a Civilization.

So basically, does anyone know where i can find content that could support a thesis that Judaism is a Civilization in itself?
Are there any specific people or organizations supporting this idea? Do Jews want to belong to their own civilization, or just remain with the west?

TODA, and please help, i think this can be a really interesting discussion.

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
Re: Judaism as a Civilization?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 01:41:04 AM »
well, see im doing an assignment on Samuel Huntington

Now, Jews have their own: religion (very important), language(Hebrew and Yiddish), culture, land (Eretz Yisrael), history, and perhaps somewhat ethnic (mainly cuacasian and semitic-but i would not use this)

Offline Ultra Requete

• Master JTFer
  • United We Stand, Dived We'll Fall.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 07:23:17 AM »
Judaism is religion and Jewishness is culture, ethnicity and nationality But still Israel is western like Russia or Japan are or even China is becoming. Today only Islam can be called alternative civilization. Israel should not be pawn of globalism because it's a new form of old British or Roman Imperialism.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:32:37 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »
Jeremiah 8:11-17

11 They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. Peace, peace, they say, when there is no peace.

12 Are they ashamed of their loathsome conduct? No, they have no shame at all; they do not even know how to blush. So they will fall among the fallen; they will be brought down when they are punished, says the LORD.

13 'I will take away their harvest, declares the LORD. There will be no grapes on the vine. There will be no figs on the tree, and their leaves will wither. What I have given them will be taken from them.'

14 Why are we sitting here? Gather together! Let us flee to the fortified cities and perish there! For the LORD our God has doomed us to perish and given us poisoned water to drink, because we have sinned against him.

15 We hoped for peace but no good has come, for a time of healing but there was only terror.

16 The snorting of the enemy's horses is heard from Dan; at the neighing of their stallions the whole land trembles. They have come to devour the land and everything in it, the city and all who live there.

17 See, I will send venomous snakes among you, vipers that cannot be charmed, and they will bite you, declares the LORD.

Love your Enemy
And Heap Burning Coals on his Head!!!
http://net-burst.net/revenge/love_and_wrath_of_God.htm

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:37:04 AM »
Jews are part of Western Civilization because Israel is a Western country. But Israel should be its own country and not reliant on alliances with Western countries.

You say "Judaism as a Civilization". There was actually a self-hating Jew who said that. He founded The Reconstructionist Movement. He said Judaism is no longer a religion but a civilization because his movement was nationalist but no longer believed that much in G-d but wanted to hold on to religion for tradition only. They are similar to Herzl Zionists.

Reform Jews on the otherhand said Judaism is only a religion and not a people and were opposed to Zionism because they wanted to blend in to Gentile countries and assimilate. But their brand of religion was not real Judaism.

what about conservative and orthodox movements?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dexter

• Master JTFer
  • צֶדֶק צֶדֶק, תִּרְדֹּף
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »
Judaism is not a civilization on itself.
Not a foreign land we took and not with foreign possession but a land that belong to our ancestors that was occupied without a trial. And when we had the opportunity, we took our land back.
-Shimon Maccabee's answer to Antiochus VII Sidetes.

"When fighting monsters, be wary not to become one... When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes into you."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »
Jews are a remnant of the extinct ancient Semitic civilization. Nowadays I think Jews think almost unanimously that they are part of Western civilization however not so long ago a big portion of the Jewish people lived in the Islamic world and was part of the Muslim civilization.

Offline JTFFan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »
Jews are part of Western Civilization because Israel is a Western country. But Israel should be its own country and not reliant on alliances with Western countries.

You say "Judaism as a Civilization". There was actually a self-hating Jew who said that. He founded The Reconstructionist Movement. He said Judaism is no longer a religion but a civilization because his movement was nationalist but no longer believed that much in G-d but wanted to hold on to religion for tradition only. They are similar to Herzl Zionists.

Reform Jews on the otherhand said Judaism is only a religion and not a people and were opposed to Zionism because they wanted to blend in to Gentile countries and assimilate. But their brand of religion was not real Judaism.

Well said, agreed.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:16 PM »
Yes.

You have to define civilization first. But yes based on these definitions.

We have our own schools, and charedim are a very separate society.  A completely separate culture.

In a sense, different parts of america are different civilizations.  But all part of american civilizations.

definitions

dictionary.cambridge.org
1  [C or U] human society with its highly developed social organizations, or the culture and way of life of a society or country at a particular period in time

askoxford.com
 noun 1 an advanced stage or system of human social development.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:35 PM »
Yes If you consider it as part of the western civilization. I think the Mesopotamian civilization is distinct from the Western civilization. If anything the Persian and the Arab civilizations inherited the Babylonian civilization.  

What about the Jews from Moorish Spain, they wrote in Arabic and Hebrew, I don't think they were westerners. And more recently- Jews in Iraq spoke Arabic as their first language. And
the Yemenite Jews- clearly they didn't belong to the western civilization when they lived in Yemen.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 03:55:53 PM »
iraqi jews have their culture,

morrocan jews their culture,

their own shuls.

european jews are not really split by geographic origin into different cultures. 

Of course the cultures reflect the surrounding gentile culture, in similarities and even differences, but they are still separate.

those definitions put culture to civilization.

Maybe you should define civilization before you start asking people..

Either that or ask what the definition of civilization is.

Offline Boeregeneraal

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 10:03:36 PM »
well, based on Samuel Huntington's thesis, Jews really are their own civilization.

If orthodox and Catholic is such a difference that each become their own civilization, then Judaism definintely is its own civilization.

So is it basically just the reconstructionist movement(they sound like a bunch of whackos!)? Are there any books on this subject?
TODA

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 08:00:29 AM »
well, based on Samuel Huntington's thesis, Jews really are their own civilization.

If orthodox and Catholic is such a difference that each become their own civilization, then Judaism definintely is its own civilization.

So is it basically just the reconstructionist movement(they sound like a bunch of whackos!)? Are there any books on this subject?
TODA

similar to reform, but probably worse. I think they reconstruct the bible or something.

actually, there is a british reform minister("rabbi") - Dr Jonathan Romain - that is trying to write his own bible with the "horrid" bits removed.   He thinks muslims shoudl do the same with their quran!

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 09:17:46 AM »

What about conservative Judaism? Wasn't conservative Judaism pretty similar to Orthodox at one point? I think they even had the Beth Din and were quite respected compared to reform, but as of recent, I've heard conservative Judaism is not doing so well.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 10:35:42 AM »
My only understanding of Conservative is that it is an American movement went to help Jews remain Jews but to be somewhat assimilated as well...There are some conservative Jews who are Shomer Shabbat and Shomer Kashrut etc etc...but that's few and far between.

I feel that the only philosophy to look towards is Torah Judaism and most Orthodox Rabbis pursue Judaism in that manner. Very few if any of the other movements seem to do that. The liberal of these groups try to change things and omit other things...We should know from history that when we add and omit things from the Torah we create a religion that may end up being as perverted as Islam.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:05:34 PM by Yacov Menashe Ben Rachamim »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 05:54:53 PM »
My only understanding of Conservative is that it is an American movement went to help Jews remain Jews but to be somewhat assimilated as well...There are some conservative Jews who are Shomer Shabbat and Shomer Kashrut etc etc...but that's few and far between.

I feel that the only philosophy to look towards is Torah Judaism and most Orthodox Rabbis pursue Judaism in that manner. Very few if any of the other movements seem to do that. The liberal of these groups try to change things and omit other things...We should know from history that when we add and omit things from the Torah we create a religion that may end up being as perverted as Islam.

Oh, because one of my uncles married a woman who converted Conservative and she sad she had to go for a few years to study Judaism and had to have Mikvah something and the beth din, very similar to orthodox, so I figured at time time it must have been a bit more serious, think that was in the 70's.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 06:10:22 PM »

Oh, because one of my uncles married a woman who converted Conservative and she sad she had to go for a few years to study Judaism and had to have Mikvah something and the beth din, very similar to orthodox, so I figured at time time it must have been a bit more serious, think that was in the 70's.

From what I know they continually drift towards the Reformity. I think they don't unanimously accept the two Torahs as the immutable word of God, and moreover they allow their rabbis to rule 'Chidushim' to make novel halachic rules which according to the orthodox are not possible since the days of the Tanaim.
So, according  the conservatives everything is open to revision and interpretation.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 08:08:57 PM »
Reform and Conservative and Reconstructionist and whatever

THey move left religiously all the time.

so one time they start off against gay marriage, then they support it

The bottom line is that these movements do not believe that the Torah is from Sinai.

Many of their ministers"Rabbis" do not believe in G-d at all. And those that do think of him as just a force like in star wars. Not a G-d that took us out of egypt or helped us fight the arabs in 1967.

None of them believe the Torah is from sinai. THey believe it is just human wisdom  Or contains human wisdom.

And so they make up their positions according to the values of the culture that they live in.

In ascending order of religious liberalism, it probably goes  Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist. Meaning

All of them are fictional, their rituals have 0 validity.

An RRC(reform/reconstr/conservative) marriage  has no legal bearing in jewish law. It is like nothing happened.

They make up their own things, they ignore the requirements of jewish law.  Not suprising at all, since they don't even believe it comes from G-d.

Arguing about differences between these heterodox movements is irrelevant.

Their whole existance is to break jewish law, they just differ on how blatantly to do it.  So reform go off the deep end. And Conservative put on a facade of being a bit more religious by pretending to be abiding by halacha.