Author Topic: xtian missionaries on JewTube  (Read 5529 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
xtian missionaries on JewTube
« on: July 10, 2008, 06:32:50 PM »
I dont know for a fact, but I have great suspicion of the material I watch on the website http://www.jewtube.com.

I dont know who runs the site but the 1st time I visited I found a video posted on the site which purported that there were no Jews killed by the Germans during WWII. The video claimed that the Jews invented the Holocaust for political purposes. Of course I flagged this video as offensive, and wrote off a note to the site manager. About a month later I visit the site again and the Holocaust denial video was gone.... But then I found a video which I though was interesting, it was a song written to the lyrics of Psalm 119m {I should have realized right then,  we call Psalms Tehillim}. After I listened to it and thinking that I liked it I watched it again. It was the 2nd time when I noticed that the translation sounded a bit funny.

Here is the link if anyone wants to investigate : http://www.jewtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=94e65f17f908f462fae8&page=1&viewtype=&category=mr

The line which gave it away was line 100, but then i noticed problems with lines 97 & 99 too... I have a copy of Artscrolls Tehillim which has english and hebrew. To check the translation i also consulted Chabads Tehillim site for this Psalm.

Line 100:
According to the video:

100) I see more clearly than the ancients for I obey your precepts.

According to Artscroll & Chabad:

100) From the wise elders I gain understanding, for I kept Your precepts.

See here that the entire meaning of the verse is inverted. Their translation implies that the reader sees more clearly than the elders.

Lines 97 & 99:
According to the video:
97) Oh how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.
99) I have more insight than my teachers, for I meditate on your statues.

According to Chabad & Artscroll:
97) How I love Your Torah! All day it is my conversation.
99) From all my teachers I gained understanding, for Your testimonies are my conversation.

See here again the contempt for the elders & teachers... Also the xtian translation uses the words laws & commandments instead of the word Torah {which means Teachings}. The xtian translation also says "meditate & meditation" instead of conversation.

I have picked up hebrew in the 6 years since I did my teshuva. When I read the hebrew I read the Artscroll interpretation and cannot see how anyone would translate it this way.

Does anyone have any similar experience?
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Taylor

• Full JTFer
    • Avid Editor's Insights
Re: xtian missionaries on JewTube
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:20:10 AM »
this is good work. I think it is important to prevent our fellow jew from getting led to evil.

Does JewTube accept JTF videos?

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:47:40 AM »
 Hi Muman- thanks for the info.
 Is there any way you can plz refrain from saying: 'xtians'  much of this forum are real Christians, and no-nonsense. MANY of these Christians on this forum have been VERY nice to me, and I know they hate being called this. I believe to them it looks like 'kikes' which to me, looks U-gly, and I DONT EVER use that, EVER. I dont care if they are leftists, I dont ever call any Jew a 'kike'
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:52:01 AM »
 Is there any way you can plz refrain from saying: 'xtians'  much of this forum are real Christians, and no-nonsense. MANY of these Christians on this forum have been VERY nice to me, and I know they hate being called this. I believe to them it looks like 'kikes' which to me, looks U-gly, and I DONT EVER use that, EVER. I dont care if they are leftists, I dont ever call any Jew a 'kike'

What is wrong with saying xstians?  Is that an insult?  Isn't it just an abbreviation?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 12:55:10 AM »

What is wrong with saying xstians?  Is that an insult?  Isn't it just an abbreviation?

Most people who use it don't like Christians or are using it in a critical context. It was used in a very hateful manner in some of the primarily atheist boards I've been on.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 12:59:11 AM »
oh I actually didn't know that.   I thought it was a way for Jews to spell it without having to spell out the name chri...  since we don't believe in the concept of "christ"     I didn't know it was used in a perjorative sense.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:00:27 AM »
I fully disgaree with Missionaries and I am Catholic but I also can
 not stand the term "xtrian"  we are Christians and that term will insult a lot of people
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 01:04:35 AM »
I fully disgaree with Missionaries and I am Catholic but I also can
 not stand the term "xtrian"  we are Christians and that term will insult a lot of people

I agree with you masterwolf. Masterwolf, I have to say that just about all jews have no problems with christians especially those that are warm to jews. These anti gentile people are  such a fringe minority among jews as even leftist jews who we hate like gentiles. Chasidim work with gentiles. Every single type of jew has no problems with gentiles and in fact most have gentile friends and associates. The first time I heard of this anti gentile mentality was when I saw the splinter group. Believe me masterowolf, this anti gentile mentality is very rare and it is insane.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:06:38 AM »

I just stated EXACTLY WHY they dont like it- Christains here- David ben Moshe has told me, time and time again, to make sure I ALWAYS respect them, because they give very GOOD donations to JTF.  I can tell you from paltalk experience, that they HATE it, and I like them, a LOT. They are SWEET to me.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 01:09:55 AM »
I am against using the term xtians out of principle. Obviously, the people who come to jtf are righteous people so why should we insult them. We have so many wonderful gentile members of jtf. It is retarded to insult them.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 01:10:05 AM »
oh I actually didn't know that.   I thought it was a way for Jews to spell it without having to spell out the name chri...  since we don't believe in the concept of "christ"     I didn't know it was used in a perjorative sense.

I didn't know that you weren't supposed to type that out. All it means is that Christians believe in "Christ", not that you do.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 01:14:12 AM »

I just stated EXACTLY WHY they dont like it- Christains here- David ben Moshe has told me, time and time again, to make sure I ALWAYS respect them, because they give very GOOD donations to JTF.  I can tell you from paltalk experience, that they HATE it, and I like them, a LOT. They are SWEET to me.

Well you didn't really give a reason, you just said that you believe it looks like 'kikes' to them.   I asked the question because I wanted a reason.   Why would it look like 'kikes' (like what about it?) but I guess if that's how it's used, that's how it's used.  Whatever, we have no reason to offend anybody so lesson learned.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 01:14:45 AM »
okay, if not using xtians here then what else to use? (I mean of Jews, who do not want to write the other word? Because what if it is offensive to Jews when people write the other word, since it mean "My lord" and the whole thing means "followers of the Lord" or something like that, but we do not recognize that at all, so why should we write "that word"? I didn't know writing xtians is offensive. And anyway what else can we write? "followers of criss?" Im just being creative, maybe someone can teach me.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 01:15:14 AM »

I didn't know that you weren't supposed to type that out. All it means is that Christians believe in "Christ", not that you do.

I'm not saying you can't type it out, I'm just saying it might not be desired.   And for reasons Tzvi has alluded to above.  There's a certain implicit attachment of the "divine" to that term by its definition, so some Jews would have a distaste for using it to describe Jesus or anything.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 01:18:03 AM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 01:15:47 AM »
Then again, the missionaries DO deserve to get called x-tians if that's an insult.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 01:16:48 AM »
okay, if not using xtians here then what else to use? (I mean of Jews, who do not want to write the other word? Because what if it is offensive to Jews when people write the other word, since it mean "My lord" and the whole thing means "followers of the Lord" or something like that, but we do not recognize that at all, so why should we write "that word"? I didn't know writing xtians is offensive. And anyway what else can we write? "followers of criss?" Im just being creative, maybe someone can teach me.

Tzvi, you can refer the them as Christians. If you dont feel comfortable writing that, just refer to them as gentiles. We have to understand that their are gentiles who are much more pro Israel than jews themselves. Why should we be offending people who are pro Israel. This is crazy.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 01:18:53 AM »

If that is the reason, then how much more soo Jews should not write that or say that. That word is like saying Hashe-m (if one translates it I belive to latin). Also not say "jesus xxxist"
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 01:21:43 AM »

If that is the reason, then how much more soo Jews should not write that or say that. That word is like saying Hashem (if one translates it I belive to latin). Also not say "jesus xxxist"

Tzvi, I beg you to stop being disrespectful to gentiles. It doesn't help jews or Israel when this is done. Are you trying to turn away supporters of Israel? I think its best to treat everyone who comes to jtf with respect.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 01:23:42 AM »

If that is the reason, then how much more soo Jews should not write that or say that. That word is like saying Hashem (if one translates it I belive to latin). Also not say "jesus xxxist"

Tzvi, I beg you to stop being disrespectful to gentiles. It doesn't help jews or Israel when this is done. Are you trying to turn away supporters of Israel? I think its best to treat everyone who comes to jtf with respect.

Im not being disrespectful, but at the same time, I will not lie. I just asked what can a Jew use if not the word xtian, and not the other word. that's called being nice by asking).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 01:25:48 AM by Tzvi Ben Roshel »

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 01:27:32 AM »

Im not being disrespectful, but at the same time, I will not lie. I just asked what can a Jew use if not the word xtian, and not the other word. that's called being nice by asking).

Tzvi, just refer to them as gentiles then. If xstian offends people then just try to use something else. That is the best way.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 01:29:12 AM »

Tzvi maybe is expressing himself in a blunt or unrefined manner but I don't think he intends to offend gentiles.  He is just stating the reason why a Jew is not altogether comfortable using that c-term.   This, before this thread, was why I honestly thought people used "xtian" rather than the full word.  But apparently there is more to it.  But there is no reason to force Tzvi to write it a certain way.  He has not insisted on using xtian, he even asked what other way could he do it?   I don't think he is going out of his way to slam non Jews, just my opinion.  

I am also not fully comfortable with the c-word, and would never use it, but I do call Christians "Christians" cause that's what they are known as, followers of the "Christian" religion.  It doesn't assign any divine nature to them or their beliefs or to jesus to say the term "Christian."  Just like I call Muslims Muslim, doesn't mean I accept their false religion, it's just the name of it, Islam.    but to say jesus ch... on the other hand, the term used in that way has a "heavenly" attribute implicit in its use.   A Jew (who didn't convert out) would never call him that.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 01:41:31 AM »
I am not forcing Tzvi to do anything. All I am saying is that it is nuts to offend gentiles who support Israel. Why the need to use a term that offends christians if another word could be used?

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 01:42:55 AM »
I am not forcing Tzvi to do anything. All I am saying is that it is nuts to offend gentiles who support Israel. Why the need to use a term that offends christians if another word could be used?

My point was exactly that there is no need, and neither is tzvi saying there is.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 01:44:08 AM »
But I would make a case that if "xtian" is indeed a perjorative term, that it SHOULD be applied to missionaries.     

I mean JTF calls leftist Jewish traitors yehudonim.......   The Christians should be ok with calling out their own traitors too.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 01:45:06 AM »
But I would make a case that if "xtian" is indeed a perjorative term, that it SHOULD be applied to missionaries.     

I mean JTF calls leftist Jewish traitors yehudonim.......   The Christians should be ok with calling out their own traitors too.

What does that mean