Author Topic: English lessons online  (Read 1676 times)

Offline 2honest

• Senior JTFer
  • MayIsraelPrevail
English lessons online
« on: July 14, 2008, 06:36:53 PM »
This is a thread where non-native speakers can post questions in order to improve their English.
Since the majority of JTFers are native speakers it should be easy to give some reasonable hints.
I dont know if everyone feels confortable with it but as far as I'm concerned I encourage people to respond if they realize a lack of linguistical knowledge.
So if you feel that I have put together grammatical nonsense go ahead and correct me.

How do I use the words "this" and "that"?
If someone describes an idea and I respond do I say I like this idea or I like that idea?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: English lessons online
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 06:39:37 PM »
A lot of stuff is just intuitive to me. I don't know the "rules", I just automatically use them the right way. I usually can only recognize a "rules violation" if someone says something wrong.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 06:40:42 PM »
The best way of describing it is thinking about 2 people who are talking about a man.

If the man they are talking about is present the 2 people would say "this" man, but if the man is not present they would say "that" man.

I hope this helps in some way, it probably doesn't, I'm very confusing and not good at explaining!

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 07:04:54 PM »
This is a thread where non-native speakers can post questions in order to improve their English.
Since the majority of JTFers are native speakers it should be easy to give some reasonable hints.
I dont know if everyone feels confortable with it but as far as I'm concerned I encourage people to respond if they realize a lack of linguistical knowledge.
So if you feel that I have put together grammatical nonsense go ahead and correct me.

If someone describes an idea and I respond do I say I like this idea or I like that idea?

most english speakers don't know te grammatical rules as rules.
They just know what sounds right.

but I guess we learnt things like

I feel
you feel
he feels
she feels
they feel

for different verbs.

As far as the words this and that are concerned.
we just know use from hearing it.

I tried to define it myself, but found a better definition here

I find this cambridge dictionary online very concise.
I usually just use that one.  But if a word is not in it, I use the oxford dictionary
http://dictionary.cambridge.org
That
used to refer to a person, object, idea, etc. which is separated from the speaker by space or time:

The oxford english dictionary is the most authoritative dictionary in britain.
The search may not be that good though. I just amend the URL to have the correct word! so replace "that" with "this" or "bliss" or whatever.
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/that?view=uk
That
..referring to the more distant of two things near to the speaker...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/
popular with americans
That
...the one farther away or less immediately under observation or discussion ..

It is easy to find lots of uses of the word e.g. via google.
googling "this person" "that person"
you would hear english words used all the time.  English is being used everywhere. In films. Everything. You seem to have a good vocabulary.

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:23:02 PM »

I think that in many cases either one is okay. But generally if something is closer to you in time or space you'd say "this thing" and if it's farther from you in time or space you'd say "that thing". But in the case of an idea...I'm not so sure why we say one or the other...just sorta need to listen to a lot of English to get the hang of it...I think when you want to associate yourself with the idea (you agree with it) you're probably more likely to use "this" than "that.

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline 2honest

• Senior JTFer
  • MayIsraelPrevail
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 09:24:48 AM »
Here is another explanation I received from q_q_:

"
That , means the person immediately being referred to.
(by a finger if you're rude)
or the person under disucssion.

THE, is used if the name is not known, or if it is about tot be resolved by what is to be said.  The culprit.    That would imply they are known.

Could the person who put peanut butter under the door handle please stand up?

That person - I won't mention his name but you know who I am referring to.

You could say
in this situation, then describe it, and then say "in that situation", because you are referring to the situation just mentioned. The same situation.

Or you could point to another situation with a finger or hand gesture, or introduce another one, and refer after to "that", so it is understood that you are referring to a different one , which is the one just mentioned, and not the first one.

One might say
In this particular case,  XYX
or
XYZ in that particular case.

This , means te thing you are about to introduce.

That, means the thing last mentioned, or the thing you are poitning to or gesturing towards or whatever.

pointing can be considered rude by the way.

so can tapping things and making discrete hand or eye gestures to alert people to something without others noticing.
But regular hand gestures are fine.

"

Offline IslamIsCancer

• Master JTFer
  • My name is Stalinashvili.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:59:50 AM »
You can also say I like the idea.
Free Javakh!!!
I defecate on Stalin's grave.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 11:16:57 AM »
You can also say I like the idea.

or that idea.

'cos if it's the one you are speaking about, or have been speaking about(and are still speaking about), then this and that refer to the same thing.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 11:22:17 AM »
Speaking of English since obama osama came on the seen and started using the word 'notion' all the people on T.V. forgot the word 'idea' and always use the word 'notion'
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03