Author Topic: Rabbi Nachman of Breslovs Good Ideals  (Read 1043 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Rabbi Nachman of Breslovs Good Ideals
« on: July 23, 2008, 05:07:43 AM »
I find the following quote from wikipedia very relevant. These are some of the tenets of Rabbi Nachman of Breslov, the Rebbe for the Breslov sect of Chassidic Judaism. I do believe these principles are acceptable to all who read them.

Nachman of Breslov (Hebrew: נחמן מברסלב) also known as Reb Nachman of Bratslav, Nachman from Uman, or simply as Rebbe Nachman (in local Yiddish: Reb Nokhmen Broslever) (April 4, 1772 – October 16, 1810 [18 Tishrei]) was the founder of the Breslov Hasidic dynasty.

Born at a time when the influence of his great-grandfather, the Baal Shem Tov, was waning, Rebbe Nachman breathed new life into the Hasidic movement by combining the esoteric secrets of Judaism (the Kabbalah) with in-depth Torah scholarship. He attracted thousands of followers during his lifetime, and after his death, his followers continued to regard him as their Rebbe and did not appoint any successor. Rebbe Nachman's teachings continue to attract and inspire Jews the world over.

* He rejected the idea of hereditary Hasidic dynasties, and taught that each Hasid must "search for the tzaddik ('saintly/righteous person')" for himself -- and within himself. He believed that every Jew has the potential to become a tzaddik (Rabbi Nachman's Wisdom, p. 29).

* He emphasized that a tzaddik should magnify the blessings on the community through his mitzvot. However, the tzaddik cannot "absolve" a Hasid of his sins, and the Hasid should pray only to G-d, not to the Rebbe. The purpose of confiding in another human being is to unburden the soul as part of the process of repentance and healing. (Modern psychology supports this idea, which is the "Fifth Step" in many 12-step programs for recovery.)

* In his early life, he stressed the practice of fasting and self-castigation as the most effective means of repentance. In later years, however, he abandoned these severe ascetisms because he felt they may lead to depression and sadness. He told his followers not to be "fanatics". Rather, they should choose one personal mitzvah to be very strict about, and do the others with the normal amount of care (Rabbi Nachman's Wisdom #235).

* He encouraged his disciples to take every opportunity to increase holiness in themselves and their daily activities. For example, by marrying and living with one's spouse according to Torah law, one elevates sexual intimacy to an act bespeaking honor and respect to the G-d-given powers of procreation. This in turn safeguards the sign of the covenant, the brit milah ("covenant of circumcision") which is considered the symbol of the everlasting pact between G-d and the Jewish people.

* He urged everyone to seek out his own and others' good points in order to approach life in a state of continual happiness. If one cannot find any "good points" in himself, let him search his deeds. If he finds that his deeds were driven by ulterior motives or improper thoughts, let him search for the positive aspects within them. And if he cannot find any good points, he should at least be happy that he is a Jew. This "good point" is G-d's doing, not his.

* He placed great stress on living with faith, simplicity, and joy. He encouraged his followers to clap, sing and dance during or after their prayers, bringing them to a closer relationship with G-d.

* He emphasized the importance of intellectual learning and Torah scholarship. "You can originate Torah novellae, but do not change anything in the laws of the Shulchan Aruch!" he said. He and his disciples were thoroughly familiar with all the classic texts of Judaism, including the Talmud and its commentaries, Midrash, and Shulchan Aruch.

* He frequently recited extemporaneous prayers. He taught that his followers should spend an hour alone each day, talking aloud to G-d in his or her own words, as if "talking to a good friend." This is in addition to the prayers in the siddur. Breslover Hasidim still follow this practice today, which is known as hitbodedut (literally, "to make oneself be in solitude"). Rebbe Nachman taught that the best place to do hitbodedut was in a field or forest, among the natural works of G-d's creation.

* Another prominent feature of Rebbe Nachman's teachings is his Tikkun HaKlali ("General Rectification" or "General Remedy") for spiritual correction. This general rectification can override the spiritual harm caused by many sins, or one sin whose ramifications are many. Rebbe Nachman revealed that ten specific Psalms, recited in this order: Psalms 16, 32, 41, 42, 59, 77, 90, 105, 137, and 150, constitute a special remedy for the sin of wasting seed, which defiles the sign of the covenant, and, by extension, all the other mitzvot. Most Breslover Hasidim try to say the Tikkun HaKlali daily.

I think that his ideas are very good. I realize what the attitude is concerning whether or not his disciples considered him to be Moshiach or not. I read Breslov material and nowhere have I ever read that he was Moshiach. I do believe that there is such a thing as a Tzaddik, or a very pious and righteous person who has much charisma and can feel other peoples pain and suffering. Rebbe Nachman was such a man, as was the Lubavitch Rebbe Schneerson. When I watch the Lubavitch Rebbe I feel his soul in a unique way. I dont think he was Moshiach but as Chassidic thought teaches, in every generation there exists people who could be Moshiach {sparks of Moshiach}.

I pray that this brings some rectification which will enlighten the soul.

As Tehillim 149 reads :   “Sing to Hashem a new song; His praise is in the assembly of the chassidim.”

muman613
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:16:59 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Rabbi Nachman of Breslovs Good Ideals
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:41:59 AM »
One of my favorite songs we sing on Shabbat is Kol Ha-Olam Kulo.

The words to this song come from Rabbi Nachmans words.

The whole world
is a very narrow bridge
a very narrow bridge
a very narrow bridge

The whole world
is a very narrow bridge -
A very narrow bridge.

And the main thing to recall -
is not to be afraid -
not to be afraid at all.

And the main thing to recall -
is not to be afraid at all.

In transliterated hebrew this is:

Kol Ha'olam kulo
Gesher Tsar me'od
Gesher Tsar me'od
Gesher Tsar me'od -

Kol Ha'olam kulo
Gesher Tsar me'od -
Gesher Tsar me'od.

Veha'ikar - veha'ikar
Lo lefached -
lo lefached klal.

Veha'ikar - veha'ikar
lo lefached klal.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Rabbi Nachman of Breslovs Good Ideals
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 04:42:32 PM »
I glanced over your post)
 but " whether or not his disciples considered him to be Moshiach or not"

HE wrote that he is not Moshiach, but one of his descendents are.

I do read some Breslev material (expecially Likutei Moharan), but I dont concider myself a Breslev Hassid or anything like that.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/