Author Topic: Why Aren't More Jews in the Military?  (Read 25616 times)

Offline horselady

• Full JTFer
  • "I support the troops" is never followed by "but"
Why Aren't More Jews in the Military?
« on: July 23, 2008, 02:24:20 AM »
I rarely, if ever hear  about Jewish guys going into the military these days. While I'm sure there are a few, their numbers do not represent their
percentage of the population. My father and all my uncles served in the Army, either in WWII or in Korea. My bother enlisted in the Army
after college and my husband (Jewish on his mother's side) was a US Marine during the Vietnam War. I found this article on the subject
and was disturbed by it. I get asked this question a lot by gentiles, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject:

Attention: Where are the Jews in the U.S. military?

Maj. RobLevinson

As an active duty Air Force officer currently stationed overseas, and as a Jew who grew up in the Bay Area, it is gratifying to see the overwhelming support the Bay Area Jewish community is showing for our current efforts to fight terrorism. We in the community, closely connected to Israel as we are, have understood the need to fight terror for a long time. Now, unfortunately, this need has tragically been brought home to all Americans. However, while I take great pride in the support the Jewish community is showing, a certain question keeps gnawing at me: Where are the Jews in the United States military?

Try this experiment at your next synagogue service or other Jewish gathering. Ask all the veterans to stand up. My guess is that the average age will be in the 70s as the proud veterans of World War II represent the majority. Then ask those who have a son or daughter, grandson or granddaughter who is a veteran or serving on active duty to stand up. Finally, ask those who currently know somebody serving on active duty to stand up as well. Sadly my guess is that the groups of people answering yes to the last two questions will be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Unfortunately, while Jews in the United States are over-represented in virtually every profession from law to medicine to science, they are few and far between in the armed forces of our country. Truth be told, nice Jewish boys and girls aren't raised to grow up and be soldiers, except of course in Israel. Throughout my career in the Air Force, I can't recall a single time that I didn't have trouble finding a minyan at any base I have been to.

Now some may think that this has always been the case, but this is simply not true. The oldest U.S. veterans' organization is the Jewish War Veterans. It was formed shortly after the Civil War, partly to counter the impression that Jews did not serve their country. Fifty percent of the first graduating class of West Point was Jewish. Jews can proudly take their place among America's war heroes like Admirals Uriah Levy and Hyman Rickover, or Congressional Medal of Honor winner John Levitow, an airman. Without a change in current trends of declining Jewish participation in the armed forces, this proud history may be at an end.

The reasons for this are many. Undoubtedly the Jewish community, primarily being upper-middle class, similar to most non-Jews of this class, doesn't see the military as terribly upwardly mobile. Today, those who have military-age children, the baby boomers, formed their impressions of the military in the 1960s and these impressions are generally negative. Others perceive the military as an institution as somehow anti-Semitic. From personal experience I can tell you that if anything, the military is rather philo-Semitic, perhaps owing to the great professional respect many personnel have for the Israeli Defense Force. There may be other reasons as well, but they pale when compared to the reasons we should serve.

No people owes more to America than its Jews. Without a doubt we are the freest, most prosperous, most influential Jewish community in the history of the world. We owe this to a country founded upon a set of principles, defended by the blood of patriots for over two centuries. Just as America has blessed its Jews, we Jews have blessed America. We are presidents of corporations, senators and congressmen, justices of the Supreme Court, doctors and lawyers, Nobel Prize winners and other achievers too numerous to mention. Given this wonderful history, it is clear that we also have a duty to our country to take our place beside others who are prepared to defend it. Do we really want to say, thank you America, but let others put their lives on the line? I don't think so.

Along with pushing our sons and daughters to medicine at Stanford or law at Harvard, we need to ask them to consider Annapolis or West Point, or for a really fine education, the Air Force Academy (my bias shines through). We also need to consider how we as a community support our armed forces. Do we commemorate Memorial Day and Veterans Day? Do we call the local military bases and find out if every Jewish soldier, sailor, or member of the Marines, Air Force or Coast Guard has a place to go for Shabbat dinner, Pesach, or the High Holy Days? Do we volunteer for the USO? Do our rabbis serve as chaplains (sadly this is a problem that is nearly a crisis)?

In the wake of the terrible events of Sept. 11, the call has gone out once again for America to defend freedom. As we proudly stood with those who fought to free the slaves and defeat Hitler, we must again answer: America's Jews are present and ready for duty!

http://www.jewishsf.com/content/2-0-/module/displaystory/story_id/17121/edition_id/337/format/html/displaystory.html

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Why Aren't More Jews in the Military?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:30:56 AM »
Actually, jews are a very small minority percentage wise and their are many jews in the US army.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 02:37:34 AM »
My Dad served in the US Army... He served in the mid 70s.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 02:49:59 AM »
Horselady, JTF actually would prefer that Jews, or for that matter anybody, not enter the military right now, because of the extreme political correctness of it and the fact that people are dying for absolutely nothing. Although I consider every soldier a hero and myself unfit to wipe their shoes, I myself do not have a high opinion of any institution that puts heroes through bogus, kangaroo "war crimes" trials and offers terrorists immunity in exchange for testifying against them.

Offline horselady

• Full JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:05:08 AM »
Horselady, JTF actually would prefer that Jews, or for that matter anybody, not enter the military right now, because of the extreme political correctness of it and the fact that people are dying for absolutely nothing. Although I consider every soldier a hero and myself unfit to wipe their shoes, I myself do not have a high opinion of any institution that puts heroes through bogus, kangaroo "war crimes" trials and offers terrorists immunity in exchange for testifying against them.

I agree with that last part totally.

But I do not believe people are dying for nothing, and neither do most of the troops and their families.

May I refer you to a a blog I did 2 years ago that features letters from the troops that you'll never hear from the MSM.

http://www.militaryuntoldstoriesfromthetroops.blogspot.com/

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 03:21:15 AM »
Major Levinson answers his own question quite well. "Truth be told, nice Jewish boys and girls aren't raised to grow up and be soldiers, except of course in Israel. "

Jewish mothers are more likely to prefer that their sons grow up to be doctors, lawyers and accountants rather than soldiers.

And who's going to argue with a Jewish mother ?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 07:16:41 AM »
Actually they do if you take % of Jews in the U.S. of military age and thats not alot due to the large amount of Jews who marry later in life then general population.And if you consider the extremely low Birth rate among Jews they do serve in proportion 

This was my brothers friend from memphis where my brother lived he s on their list          http://www.jewsingreen.com/home/blog/comments/another_jewish_marine_kia/             

This is site                            

http://www.jewsingreen.com/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:26:37 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 09:00:29 AM »
I tried to sign up, but they refused to accept me.

My Dad was a Marine.

Those people asking "Why aren't Jews in the Military?" are most often the same people who believe that Jews "control" every aspect of  life..

For example:  "Roosevelt was a Jew", "Rockefeller is Jew", "Rumsfeld is really Jewish" "All bankers are Jews"  "Jews control Wall Street"  "Jews started every war in history"  "Hitler's Dad was a Jew!"...etc.

Then while Jews are in fact in uniform actively engaged in two theatres of war today representing all branches of the military, the same folks obsessed with Jews suddenly are unable to see Jews.

Anyone believing that Jews make up a substantial portion of the American populace only believe this falsehood because the tiny percentage of Jews are such high achievers in every profession and occupation in which they engage.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 09:02:50 AM »
p.s.--

If I was Secretary of Defense, I wouldn't want Jews in the military.

They spend all of their time fighting each other.   8;)   :::D

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 09:03:50 AM »
A friend of mine in banking pointed out to me that not many jews are in banking either.  Maybe some have taken risks and lead some. But most jews are not in banking, even though they are great financially.   I don't know alot about it so didn't really argue with him on that, suffice it to say that he knows what's going on better than anybody I know.

Look how arty jews are but not many jews are in the arts.

Jews look for safe professions, meaning, financially secure, so that they are in the best position to raise a family, pay for jewish education, kosher food. So many become accountants, lawyers, doctors, dentists.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 09:06:22 AM »
p.s.--

Thats true :::D :::D
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 09:16:40 AM »
p.s.--

Sadly so.

Offline horselady

• Full JTFer
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 09:36:09 AM »

My Dad was a Marine.

Those people asking "Why aren't Jews in the Military?" are most often the same people who believe that Jews "control" every aspect of  life..

For example:  "Roosevelt was a Jew", "Rockefeller is Jew", "Rumsfeld is really Jewish" "All bankers are Jews"  "Jews control Wall Street"  "Jews started every war in history"  "Hitler's Dad was a Jew!"...etc.

Then while Jews are in fact in uniform actively engaged in two theatres of war today representing all branches of the military, the same folks obsessed with Jews suddenly are unable to see Jews.

Anyone believing that Jews make up a substantial portion of the American populace only believe this falsehood because the tiny percentage of Jews are such high achievers in every profession and occupation in which they engage.

I never said Jews were not in the military, I simply asked why there are not more of them? I am trying to get exact figures but I'm sure that
they do not represent their percentage of the population. I face the Israel/Jew haters everyday on other boards and I have to answer this question
all the time, especially when people bring up names like Wolfowitz and others in government who are happy to send us into war but who have never
served. Just saying that Jewish mothers don't raise their kids to be soldiers is kind of a flip answer and the only way I shut them up is to tell them
about all the men in my family who have served.

The answers I see here seem to say that Jews are too good to serve in the military nowadays. Let someone else do it. If anyone has exact numbers of
Jews in uniform right now, I wish you could provide them. As the OP states, Jews of my father's generation served proudly in great numbers. I'm just
wondering why that isn't the case anymore?

Could it be because most Jews are liberals and we know what liberals think about the military?

Offline horselady

• Full JTFer
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 09:39:08 AM »
Actually they do if you take % of Jews in the U.S. of military age and thats not alot due to the large amount of Jews who marry later in life then general population.And if you consider the extremely low Birth rate among Jews they do serve in proportion 

This was my brothers friend from memphis where my brother lived he s on their list          http://www.jewsingreen.com/home/blog/comments/another_jewish_marine_kia/             

This is site                            

Do you have any specific numbers, mord? I couldn't find them on that site.

Offline horselady

• Full JTFer
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 09:45:18 AM »
A friend of mine in banking pointed out to me that not many jews are in banking either.  Maybe some have taken risks and lead some. But most jews are not in banking, even though they are great financially.   I don't know alot about it so didn't really argue with him on that, suffice it to say that he knows what's going on better than anybody I know.

Look how arty jews are but not many jews are in the arts.

Jews look for safe professions, meaning, financially secure, so that they are in the best position to raise a family, pay for jewish education, kosher food. So many become accountants, lawyers, doctors, dentists.

Jews are not in banking much because for years they were not allowed to be in banking. Banking was a very WASP industry for many years and Jews
were not welcome for many years. Same with some of the big corporations like autos.

But because they were shut out of those industries for so long, they are highly represented in the arts, way more than their population would suggest.
Many musicians and artists are Jewish, not to mention most of the big names in Hollywood. Jews gravitated to Hollywood simply because it was a new
industry back in the beginning that was of no interest to the big business WASP types.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »

This is site                            

Do you have any specific numbers, mord? I couldn't find them on that site.
Yes you can find them somewhere on the site

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 11:08:15 AM »
horselady:  "The answers I see here seem to say that Jews are too good to serve in the military nowadays. Let someone else do it. If anyone has exact numbers of
Jews in uniform right now, I wish you could provide them. As the OP states, Jews of my father's generation served proudly in great numbers. I'm just
Could it be because most Jews are liberals and we know what liberals think about the military?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YOU ARE A NAZI TROLL, horselady!

No one who is a friend of the Jewish People ask questions such as this one, a veiled ultimatum to "answer the charges of your neo-Nazi friends at your other forums", pretending that you really don't know how to answer such allegations from your friends.

CONSIDER YOURSELF OUTED!

WE JEWS WERE FIGHTING THE BATTLE OF JERICHO AT THE TIME YOUR ANCESTORS WERE WORSHIPPING OAK TREES AND YOUR PROPHETS WERE WITCHES WHO READ BONES.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 11:12:21 AM »
The Defense Dept does'nt give out anymore the % of the religous breakdown of people in the military

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 11:23:21 AM »
horselady:  "The answers I see here seem to say that Jews are too good to serve in the military nowadays. Let someone else do it. If anyone has exact numbers of
Could it be because most Jews are liberals and we know what liberals think about the military?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one who is a friend of the Jewish People ask questions such as this one, a veiled ultimatum to "answer the charges of your neo-Nazi friends at your other forums", pretending that you really don't know how to answer such allegations from your friends.

CONSIDER YOURSELF OUTED!

WE JEWS WERE FIGHTING THE BATTLE OF JERICHO AT THE TIME YOUR ANCESTORS WERE WORSHIPPING OAK TREES AND YOUR PROPHETS WERE WITCHES WHO READ BONES.

MassuhDGoodName  I know HORSELADY  from another site believe she's no anti semite as a matter of fact i think she's Jewish

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 11:33:04 AM »
With all due respect, mord,

Knowing someone from another site, means you don't know the very first thing about them.

Have no lessons been learned by the forum's recent fiascos?...brought on by those "invited here by people who vouched for them as being on the same website together?"

Re:  "You think she's Jewish"

If that were true she/he/it neither be posting such questions, nor responding to the answers in such a fashion.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 11:39:08 AM »
With all due respect, mord,

Knowing someone from another site, means you don't know the very first thing about them.

Have no lessons been learned by the forum's recent fiascos?...brought on by those "invited here by people who vouched for them as being on the same website together?"

Re:  "You think she's Jewish"

If that were true she/he/it neither be posting such questions, nor responding to the answers in such a fashion.
Iknow Horselady from pw for about4yrs  not for just a yr or so

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline horselady

• Full JTFer
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 11:51:45 AM »

CONSIDER YOURSELF OUTED!

I don't have to be a "friend to the Jewish people" because I am Jewish and have stated so several times. Why can't I ask questions of fellow Jews
when it's one I am asked all the time by gentiles on message boards and have no good answer for.

I think you are the anti-semite because you think Jews who don't practice their relligion as seriously as you do are not good Jews.

Here are some statistics on the number of Jews in the military:

Los Angeles, Alta California - November 14, 2003 - (ACN) The Jewish Journal of Greater Los Angeles made a startling revelation today when writer Phil Shuman wrote, "Only some 3,000 out of 1.4 million active duty servicemen and women are Jewish, about two-tenths of one percent. When it comes to Marines, the numbers are even more startling. It’s one out of 1,000. One-tenth of one percent."

Given those figures, that equals approx. 0.21% of the military

If there are about 6,000,000 Jews in the US today, they represent approx. 2% of the population.

So their numbers in the military fall far short of their population numbers.

What you wrote to me here is disgusting. My Jewish family members served in the US military, did you?

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 12:26:54 PM »
I think Jews should only serve in a Jewish army, they shouldn't get involved in goyim's wars unless it is for the defrense and well being of the Jews (i.e ww1 - Jews shouldn't have get involved, ww2- they should have fought in allied armies against the Nazis).

Jews may live in America, but their motherland is Israel.

Offline horselady

• Full JTFer
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 12:48:20 PM »
I think Jews should only serve in a Jewish army, they shouldn't get involved in goyim's wars unless it is for the defrense and well being of the Jews (i.e ww1 - Jews shouldn't have get involved, ww2- they should have fought in allied armies against the Nazis).

Jews may live in America, but their motherland is Israel.

It that's how you feel, you should move there and give up your American citizenship.

American Jews proudly served in WWII and did fight the Nazis. With whom do you think they should have fought in WWII?

When someone asks you your nationality, do you answer American or Israeli?

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 02:13:18 PM »

My Dad was a Marine.

I never said Jews were not in the military, I simply asked why there are not more of them? I am trying to get exact figures but I'm sure that
they do not represent their percentage of the population. I face the Israel/Jew haters everyday on other boards and I have to answer this question
all the time, especially when people bring up names like Wolfowitz and others in government who are happy to send us into war but who have never
served. Just saying that Jewish mothers don't raise their kids to be soldiers is kind of a flip answer and the only way I shut them up is to tell them
about all the men in my family who have served.

The answers I see here seem to say that Jews are too good to serve in the military nowadays. Let someone else do it. If anyone has exact numbers of

Could it be because most Jews are liberals and we know what liberals think about the military?

^^^Yes, to your last statement. Jews ARE NATURAL BORN fighters, leftism infiltrated into the Jewish people here in the USA.. People ALWAYS bring that RIDICULOUS argument- ALL of my family, on ALL sides served, My Sister, mother and myself, were forbidden by my Nana- which she lives to regret regarding me, I LIVE for a fight. My Nana was the ONLY Leftist Dem, SUX- My cousins ALL served, male AND female, my cousin Kymberly- was a Marine CAPT. this makes me VERY MAD. I was ROTC MARINES- BFD, and NOT for long cuz of my nana. I volunteered at FT ORD 7th Infantry DIV. I am an Honorary SGT. I won the FORSCOM, and did many things during the Persian Gulf and Panama.
  I WISH I was over there killing the muZ- NOBODY would question a female about the R.O.E.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates