Author Topic: Reply:All the Cohanim (Priests) are descendents of one Cohen  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
http://www.shofarusa.com/ (correction- FIRST  video- short)

Thier was talk about this, so here's a short video on this subject.

also on the site- information about-
A spectacular event - translated in English & Russian - with 18,000 people in one room, and millions LIVE around the world. Don't miss it!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:05:43 PM by Tzvi Ben Roshel »
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: Reply:All the Cohanim (Priests) are descendents of one Cohen
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:11:12 PM »
No comment on what you said to Horselady?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:33:03 PM »
<snip>
 Thier was talk <snip>

IMPORTANT SPELLING CORRECTION.

You have made this mistake countless times. Please get this correct

There <---   ERE  , ERE at the end.

That is for when you are referring to something. Like Over There.    There is bob, There is time to do it. There was a man.

Their <--  EIR, EIR at the end, is used to say Belonging.
Their pet, their parents, their goldfish.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 11:39:56 PM »
   I think they are descendants of Aaron. Aaron had created the golden calf, but he did so slowly in an attempt to delay the people as Moshe was coming down from the mountain. He initially asked people to give him their gold, thinking they were week minded and would not do so. Once they gave their gold, he was forced to construct the golden calf.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 11:43:04 PM »
   I think they are descendants of Aaron. Aaron had created the golden calf, but he did so slowly in an attempt to delay the people as Moshe was coming down from the mountain. He initially asked people to give him their gold, thinking they were week minded and would not do so. Once they gave their gold, he was forced to construct the golden calf.

You think kohanim are descendents of aharon?

<sarcasm>are you serious?</sarcasm>

;-)

are you nuts.

Who mentioned the golden calf that you bring it up?

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 11:56:06 PM »
You think kohanim are descendents of aharon?
Excuse my not being a torah scholar. Some respect would be nice. I am trying to learn. I wasn't sure if he was the direct ancestor or an ancestor of one. Kohanim are also descendants of Abraham.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_calf

Who mentioned the golden calf that you bring it up?
I was telling a story about him. One that I recently read at Bait Knesset.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohen
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 12:14:27 AM »
Duh,

The Kohanim are by definition the descendants of Aaron, Moshes brother. Read the Torah more....

Heck, even wikipedia contains this information:

A kohen (or cohen, Hebrew כּהן, "priest", pl. כּהנִים, kohanim or cohanim) has a special status in Judaism. A kohen is a direct male descendant of the Biblical Aaron, brother of Moses. Another term for the descendants of Aaron are the Aaronites or Aaronids.

During the existence of the Temple in Jerusalem, kohanim performed specific duties vis-à-vis the daily and festival sacrificial offerings. The Kohen Gadol (High Priest) played a special role during the service of Yom Kippur. Today, kohanim retain a distinct personal status within Judaism and are still bound by special laws in Orthodox and, to a lesser extent, in Conservative Jewish communities.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:38:37 AM »
   I'm not a Kohen and once again I'm not a torah scholar. In fact, this is something I learned that Aaron was the one they came from last Shabbat. I knew they had a common father, but for thought the father went back to one of Yacov's sons and didn't think that much about who it was. For all I was concerned, the Kohenim are priests and I am not. I am a Yisrael who gets the last Aliya. Please give me some slack. One of my goals of being here is to advance my torah knowledge.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 01:02:53 AM »
No problem takebackourtemple. Every Jew has a portion in our forum. We all are learning new things every day. I returned to my faith after almost 20 years away. I have been studying Torah every day now for almost 5 years. There are many good resources on the web. Very good Rabbi videos and mp3. If you are interested I can give you the links.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 02:16:59 AM »
   I'm not a Kohen and once again I'm not a torah scholar. <snip>Kohenim <snip>Please give me some slack. One of my goals of being here is to advance my torah knowledge.

It's Kohen and Kohanim. 

If you spell it right (or even if you spell it wrongly)

you can put it into google. And find out.

The most basic articles on what a kohen is, would mention that Aharon was the first, and his descendents are kohanim.

It is a basic question answered absolutely everywhere and unavoidable.

And therefore, such an easily found thing on such a basic question doesn't need to be posted into this thread. It's good you found out though.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 02:27:19 AM »
I should add though.. reading the tenach in hebrew you would notice that the first person to be referred to as kohen, is malchitzedek. So, technically, Kohen means priest, not necessarily jewish.
And malchitzedek was before aharon.

But specifically, kohanim means aharon and his descendents.

When people say kohen, they always always mean aharon and his descendents.

I am not sure about he following, but
I think yehudi means something like praise G-d..
I think Ivri has its linguistic meaning - something like - other side or to cross. And its specific meaning of hebrew.

words can have thier most general meanings(perhaps aka linguistic meaning). specific meanings. and a halachic meaning.

like chillul hashem. Rabbi Kahane mentioned the term in Ezekiel ch 36. But I think we can only take it to mean a negative thing. Halachically the negative thing described there is not a halachic - chillul hashem. Halachically, a chillul hashem is when a jew commits a sin.  Not if we allow a gentile to commit an act that makes jews look weak and our G-d look powerless. Most rabbis would say it's bad but it's not a chillul hashem. The tenach there describes the exile as a chillul hashem.  Halachically though, a chillul hashem is something even more serious, a public sin, and we should die rather than commit it. It goes along with the 3 sins to die rather than commit.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 02:51:45 AM »
I should add though.. reading the tenach in hebrew you would notice that the first person to be referred to as kohen, is malchitzedek. So, technically, Kohen means priest, not necessarily jewish.

I think Ivri has its linguistic meaning - something like - other side or to cross. And its specific meaning of hebrew.

words can have thier most general meanings(perhaps aka linguistic meaning). specific meanings. and a halachic meaning.

like chillul hashem. Rabbi Kahane mentioned the term in Ezekiel ch 36. But I think we can only take it to mean a negative thing. Halachically the negative thing described there is not a halachic - chillul hashem. Halachically, a chillul hashem is when a jew commits a sin.  Not if we allow a gentile to commit an act that makes jews look weak and our G-d look powerless. Most rabbis would say it's bad but it's not a chillul hashem. The tenach there describes the exile as a chillul hashem.  Halachically though, a chillul hashem is something even more serious, a public sin, and we should die rather than commit it. It goes along with the 3 sins to die rather than commit.

q_q, you are correct... Chillul Hashem must be in public. Like if an orthodox Jew goes into MacDonalds wearing his TzitTzits and Tefillin and buys a Cheeseburger and eats it in front of everyone. This would be a Chillul Hashem, a desecration of the name of G-d. The 3 Sins no Jew should commit are 1) Idolatry 2) Sexual Immorality 3) Murder.

Why was the first Sanctuary destroyed? Because of three [evil] things which prevailed there: idolatry, immorality, bloodshed. (Yoma 9b)

http://www.aish.com/torahportion/moray/The_Three_Sins.asp
http://www.aish.com/literacy/concepts/Judaism_and_Martyrdom.asp

From Aish:
There are three cardinal sins which one may not transgress under any circumstances, even at the expense of one's life. They are: idolatry, murder and sexual crimes. Since these sins outweigh life because of their intrinsic severity, one must be martyred rather than transgress them under all circumstances, even in private and where no religious persecution is intended.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 03:17:05 AM »

q_q, you are correct... Chillul Hashem must be in public. Like if an orthodox Jew goes into MacDonalds wearing his TzitTzits and Tefillin and buys a Cheeseburger and eats it in front of everyone. This would be a Chillul Hashem, a desecration of the name of G-d. The 3 Sins no Jew should commit are 1) Idolatry 2) Sexual Immorality 3) Murder.

Why was the first Sanctuary destroyed? Because of three [evil] things which prevailed there: idolatry, immorality, bloodshed. (Yoma 9b)

http://www.aish.com/torahportion/moray/The_Three_Sins.asp
http://www.aish.com/literacy/concepts/Judaism_and_Martyrdom.asp

From Aish:
There are three cardinal sins which one may not transgress under any circumstances, even at the expense of one's life. They are: idolatry, murder and sexual crimes. Since these sins outweigh life because of their intrinsic severity, one must be martyred rather than transgress them under all circumstances, even in private and where no religious persecution is intended.

The 4

FOUR

things one must die rather than commit, are those 3 sins, and chillul hashem.

and chillul hashem applies to even the smallest custom.

Rabbi Kahane at camp sdei chemed. starts 14:17

If you haven't seen that one, it's a must. It' a class rabbi kahane gave to some religious youngsters of various ages , seems from around 12-16
It also gives great insight into rabbi kahane.  It's not like any press interview .  No oratory prowess. Just blunt talk. Everything from the torah, and with common sense and wisdom.

BTW, regarding chillul hashem, I am saying I think the halachic definition, according to rabbis I have asked anyway , is a sin a jew commits, in public.   The tenach uses the term more generally eg. ezekiel ch 36, as described. the nullifying of G-d's name from the world. Rabbi Kahane describes this definition in his bible lesson to noachides (should be on youtube). How jewish weakness is a chillul hashem, because the nations mock us and say "where is your G-d". the tenach describes the exile itself as a chillul hashem.  And so he reasons beautifully and so logically, Jewish strength, is a kiddush hashem. And G-d does it not for our sake, but for his sake. This also explains, as rabbi kahane says, how we can have redemption even with a state created or run by wicked people.  Moshiach will come, but it's a matter of when.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:26:31 AM by q_q_ »

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 07:20:40 AM »
Don't think you can just become a Kohen out of the blue...so yeh...most likely all cohen's today are decendents of Aaron...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »
Don't think you can just become a Kohen out of the blue...so yeh...most likely all cohen's today are decendents of Aaron...

What is interesting is that I once had a dream where I could choose the be a Cohen or a Levy and could even be a Cohen Gadol. The catch was that if I chose to be one, I would have to follow all the laws of whatever I chose. I feared that I could not do so and chose neither as a result. I know that you can't just choose to be one, but it sure would be an interesting choice to make.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 07:31:41 PM »

What is interesting is that I once had a dream where I could choose the be a Cohen or a Levy and could even be a Cohen Gadol. The catch was that if I chose to be one, I would have to follow all the laws of whatever I chose. I feared that I could not do so and chose neither as a result. I know that you can't just choose to be one, but it sure would be an interesting choice to make.

Hello,

I was just reading an article on aish which contains some of the information you were interested in.

Please check out this : http://www.aish.com/literacy/concepts/Tammuz_and_the_Forces_of_Nature.asp

It contains a little bit of the story of the Golden Calf.

muman613

Excerpt:
They gave into one of the worst illusions that we have; the illusion that the force of evil generated by sin is greater than the force of good that is generated by tshuvah (return to God). They, too, attributed too much force to the golden calf. They should have seen it as precious metal twisted into an interesting form that holds attraction to people who don't know better.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:34:37 PM by muman613 »

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »

Most are, but it could be that some aren't (expecially in the Bukharian/Persian communities) In the Bukharian community maybe 30% say they are Kohanim, which is hard to believe, so either 1 of 2 things happened, either the population that was taken there was from places that are heavily populated by Kohanim (Jerusalem or Hevron) or that many made it up or believe themselves to be when they are not.
 I myself was not told by my father (or uncles) that we are Kohanim, but I know someone (from my high school) who has the same last name to myself, said the same (blurry though) history of Great Grandfather and family (how they hid and ran away from the communist gov. and went to different cities, and how last name got changed) now that I know more like that my forefather was a great Rabbi, if I see him again I will ask him if we are the same family or not).  The point- he says that he is a Kohen while I dont, so either we both are Kohanim and I dont know it, or we are Yisrael and he doesn't know it, or we are different family.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 08:42:06 PM »
This is true.

His name was Stanley.

Stanley Cohen.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 09:25:37 PM »
This is true.

His name was Stanley.

Stanley Cohen.

??? who are you referring to?

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 09:32:54 PM »

Most are, but it could be that some aren't (expecially in the Bukharian/Persian communities) In the Bukharian community maybe 30% say they are Kohanim, which is hard to believe, so either 1 of 2 things happened, either the population that was taken there was from places that are heavily populated by Kohanim (Jerusalem or Hevron) or that many made it up or believe themselves to be when they are not.
 I myself was not told by my father (or uncles) that we are Kohanim, but I know someone (from my high school) who has the same last name to myself, said the same (blurry though) history of Great Grandfather and family (how they hid and ran away from the communist gov. and went to different cities, and how last name got changed) now that I know more like that my forefather was a great Rabbi, if I see him again I will ask him if we are the same family or not).  The point- he says that he is a Kohen while I dont, so either we both are Kohanim and I dont know it, or we are Yisrael and he doesn't know it, or we are different family.

Or you could have had similar situations and his great grandfather was a kohen, while yours wasn't (ie different families).

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 10:01:35 PM »

Or you could have had similar situations and his great grandfather was a kohen, while yours wasn't (ie different families).

Yea I know, I wrote that as a possible situation (check in the end), also 1 correction* I would that that about 30% of Bukharians and maybe Persians too are Kohanim AND Leviim. (that's why in shuls to get ready for Birkat Kohanim takes a little longer then in Askenazi Shuls, or Kafkazi shuls (I think I heard that their are no Kohanim or very few Kohanim from Kafkaz). Also in my shul my Rabbi canceled all the Leviim from going and washing the hands of the Kohanim, now we have all the Kohanim being washed by 1 Levite where the position is alternated every week( their is 1 Levite incharge of who washes) and then they (the Kohanim) Bless the people.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 10:02:41 PM »

Obviously if Tzvi and this guy just happen to share a name, i.e. not a father's line great grandfather, then one cannot draw conclusions from the other as to whether they are kohanim.  And if one has no tradition of being a kohen, and the other has a tradition that hte is, it's likely that both are correct.

These expressions people have used,  "Different family" and great grandfather, are a bit ambiguous.  For example, one has 4 great grandfathers.

i'm not big on family trees.. so my reasoning may be at fault here, but I think it's fine.

The only father line that affects whether you are a kohen or not  is one line.  father, his father, his father e.t.c.

which is the same line that affects your tribe.

You are talking about a particular father line great grandather. Any other great grandfather is irrelevant to tribe and surname

So just sharing the same great grandfather is only relevant if that great grandfaher is father's line for both of you.

first cousins share a grandfather, (/parents are siblings)
but I only have the same tribe as the 1st cousins on my father's side.

second cousins share a great grandfather, (/the parents of second cousins are first cousins) but their tribe is determined by their father.  Who is likely not even a relation of yours.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 10:09:18 PM »

Obviously if Tzvi and this guy just happen to share a name, i.e. not a father's line great grandfather, then one cannot draw conclusions from the other as to whether they are kohanim.  And if one has no tradition of being a kohen, and the other has a tradition that hte is, it's likely that both are correct.

These expressions people have used,  "Different family" and great grandfather, are a bit ambiguous.  For example, one has 4 great grandfathers.

i'm not big on family trees.. so my reasoning may be at fault here, but I think it's fine.

The only father line that affects whether you are a kohen or not  is one line.  father, his father, his father e.t.c.

which is the same line that affects your tribe.

You are talking about a particular father line great grandather. Any other great grandfather is irrelevant to tribe and surname

So just sharing the same great grandfather is only relevant if that great grandfaher is father's line for both of you.

first cousins share a grandfather, (/parents are siblings)
but I only have the same tribe as the 1st cousins on my father's side.

second cousins share a great grandfather, (/the parents of second cousins are first cousins) but their tribe is determined by their father.  Who is likely not even a relation of yours.

I know, but the question only came up because we have the same last names. (so obviously we were talking about Fathers fathers father...

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 10:21:11 PM »
<snip>
 I know, but the question only came up because we have the same last names. (so obviously we were talking about Fathers fathers father...

and when talking about different family, you -actually- meant not sharing the same father's father's father..  Alot of your family will not share the same father's father's father.. They are still your family, not a different family.

So your words were not specific, and even , in a sense, contradictory. So, bad language!