Author Topic: Qestions on Kosher???  (Read 11891 times)

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
Qestions on Kosher???
« on: July 30, 2008, 01:38:18 AM »
I have recently been approved by the Vaad of Seattle ( http://www.seattlevaad.org ) If you have any questions on Kosher I'd be happy to help

David
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Qestions on Kosher???
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:52:03 PM »
Not to sound ignorant, but approved for what?

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 12:37:12 AM »
To supervise the kosher Deli
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 10:02:53 AM »
Great!

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:16:51 AM »
I usually get the Ice Venti Non-Fat Chai from Starbucks. Your thoughts?

On a serious note, CONGRATULATIONS.
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 11:12:50 AM »
I have heard something about some charedim washing some fruits in soapy water..

isn't that unhealthy? have you ever heard of that

I understand water..  to get rid of insects. But have you ever heard of that?

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 11:17:28 AM »

What do you do about fruits and vegetables. With all of the Salmonella outbreaks lately, it appears these are the main sources. So much of our produce comes from Mexico and half the farms down there have irrigation water that is contaminated with fecal material.

And then there was the YouTube video that made the rounds of the grocery store clerk unrinating on the produce in the store.  Even though the main entree may be thorough cooked to a temperature and time that kills most bacteria it can be easily recontaminated by the salads and garnishes that are added.

We eat out a lot less than we used to.
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 11:22:41 AM »

What do you do about fruits and vegetables. With all of the Salmonella outbreaks lately, it appears these are the main sources. So much of our produce comes from Mexico and half the farms down there have irrigation water that is contaminated with fecal material.

And then there was the YouTube video that made the rounds of the grocery store clerk unrinating on the produce in the store.  Even though the main entree may be thorough cooked to a temperature and time that kills most bacteria it can be easily recontaminated by the salads and garnishes that are added.

We eat out a lot less than we used to.

firstly, I have read that salmonella is like the flu so  nothing to get -too- scared about..unless you're very old.

secondly, wash them should get rid of it I think.. 
Eggs for example, wash the egg shells with water. Peel the eggs.  I don't know anybody who has had salmonella..
Boiling vegetables i guess would get rid of it.. One often boils them to soften them..

people eat apples all the time.. I peel them.  I don't know peopel that got salmonella

wash them, peel the skin if there is skin..

I guess you could check the label where the fruit comes from.

it often says. And avoid mexaco.

Offline Zevida

• Full JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 12:16:54 PM »
I have recently been approved by the Vaad of Seattle ( http://www.seattlevaad.org ) If you have any questions on Kosher I'd be happy to help

David

Mazal Tov!  That is no easy task.  ;)
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion. (Ps 137)

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 01:14:26 AM »
I usually get the Ice Venti Non-Fat Chai from Starbucks. Your thoughts?

On a serious note, CONGRATULATIONS.

From what the Vaad has told me is that the Teas and the Coffe are okay but you have to ask to see the Flavors and the Whipped Creme because they aren't always Kosher
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 01:17:54 AM »

Haven't heard about that but I do know that you can get what is called a Bug Light http://www.bangitout.com/articles/viewarticle.php?a=1901 They are much better and help you see the bugs. Also if you check out any Web site and you will see the different specifations on checking different Fruits and Veggies
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 01:39:44 AM »
how do you inspect a cauliflower? does it mean you can't throw it into the pan whole?

you have to pull it apart?

I know it would cook quicker pulled apart anyway.. but it it's one tasty big cauliflower in one piece, all edible, and you can pull it apart after it is cooked!

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 01:42:31 AM »
how do you inspect a cauliflower? does it mean you can't throw it into the pan whole?

you have to pull it apart?

I know it would cook quicker pulled apart anyway.. but it it's one tasty big cauliflower in one piece, all edible, and you can pull it apart after it is cooked!

Cauliflower Infestation: Thrips may be found on the thin white branches or between the tightly packed cauliflower florets. These insects are easily discernible as their black color contrasts with the white vegetable. Small orange insects may at times be seen clinging to the outside of the cauliflower. These insects are easily washed off.

Please Note: Frozen cauliflower should be carefully scanned for signs of infestation but requires no further checking unless insects are found.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 03:55:38 AM »
gross.... no bugs in my salad man.... I'm glad about this mitzvah

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 04:30:32 AM »
what about strawberries?

I remember at one time there was a scare and charedim were really intent on checking those, even banning them!!

I've never noticed anything in them

Must one cut them to check?
any thing to know when looking?

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 12:11:43 PM »
what about strawberries?

I remember at one time there was a scare and charedim were really intent on checking those, even banning them!!

Strawberries
1. Fill basin with water and some cleanser* or special strawberry wash
    (such as Tsunami 100).
2. Soak strawberries while agitating the water.
3. Rinse strawberries under a stream of water.
4. It is preferable to cut off the top with a small amount of the flesh.
5. Strawberries may now be used.

David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 12:16:18 PM »
Broccoli?
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 12:20:26 PM »
Broccoli?

Floreted Vegetables
 Fresh Broccoli and Cauliflower

1. Wash florets thoroughly under a strong stream of water.
2. Agitate florets in a white bowl.
3. Examine the water to see that it is insect-free.**
4. If it is insect-free you may use the vegetable.
5. If insects are found, you may re-do this procedure up to three times in total. If there are still any insects, the whole batch must be discarded.

David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 11:11:07 PM »
what about strawberries?

Strawberries
1. Fill basin with water and some cleanser* or special strawberry wash
    (such as Tsunami 100).
2. Soak strawberries while agitating the water.
3. Rinse strawberries under a stream of water.
4. It is preferable to cut off the top with a small amount of the flesh.
5. Strawberries may now be used.

What is tsunami 100?  Doesn't soap permeate into the fruit?   Sounds like soapy strawberries, and ....  kinda gross.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 01:33:59 AM »
It's a fruit wash that cleans it. It is not water but does the same job and makes the fruit more fresh

David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 02:06:24 AM »
It's a fruit wash that cleans it. It is not water but does the same job and makes the fruit more fresh

oh come on, don't be foolish.

"makes the fruit more fresh"   that's a ridiculous.claim..   May as well leave it out.

i'm going to have to go on a rampage now.

What happened to Tsunami 100 ?

I bet that doesn't say Organic!!!!

Basically, the way the ultra orthodox are, is If it's kosher, it's fine. Doesn't matter what's in it.

Does that fruit wash doesn't even have ingredients on it! Or do they pretend that for them organic means so natural it doesn't need to mention ingredients.

You know kosher makes of food, as in jewish companies , they don't even put how many calories , and a breakdown of carbs protein, fat, on the food. They are WAY behind in terms of health. The food is loaded with sugar.   I would trust their health claims even less than a goyish company.

You know nowadays, hardly any food contains transfat. Many are labelled transfat-0. Or tiny traces.  Kosher food, often has an ingredients list. Though never anything about calories. And when you look at the ingredients list  "hydrogenated vegeatable oil"  it's not that unusual. That's a key source of transfats. The most dangerous type of fat.

Infact, the label tsunami 100 is classic.  The poeple they market to couldn't give a damn about health either. IF it's kosher, it's fine.  Nobody living outside of a ghetto is going to wash fruit in a wash called tsunami 100. Only if it's got a kosher label , as if that means that G-d has given it the OK.
Anybody outside of a ghetto would be afraid to even wash their clothes in something called Tsunami 100!!
Who can trust somebody that projects that mentality about cleaning.

Even dish washing liquid is advertised as soft and gentle!

Anyhow, did they have this exchancer or whatever they call it fruit wash 100 years ago. Of course not. But the fruit was kosher.   You don't really know what they put in that fruit wash.  Though it might have ingredients, I guess your image shows the wrong side.

You said it's not water but it does the same job.   Well then use water.
"Makes the fruit more fresh".  COME ON.
That's an advert, and a poor one at that. It's an advert marketted at ignoramuses. 
Nobody in the real world is going to buy it - as in nobody is going to buy that claim. only because it's kosher and they trust it because of that

You know although it's well known that kosher places have much better quality meat than Hallal places  (I know a goy who has eaten kebabs at both). And the kosher places have better quality meat than say McDonalds(I know a secular anti religious self hating jew that ate in there. He said that the meat at McDonalds is not fit for the bin of a kosher restaurant, it's thin salty garbage)
Even though the quality of meat is good compared to other places..
There was recently an article in the Jewish Chronicle or LJN(london jewish news), which listed the health inspector's findings amongst the kosher restaurants. To the suprise of the jewish community, the ratings were very poor.  Almost every one was below average.   Even I was suprised. We pay so much, too.
I wouldn't trust kosher food companies but I figured the restaurants would be OK. I guess many are israeli and israelis can be a bit lazy. Hot climate, bad education system, years in the army. Many are very sharp/quick minded,  But many of the ones, most people working in restaurants are lazy types. And these weren't even charedi places, I can't imagine how backwards they are with that stuff.. So busy learning, and they're producing this tsunami 100 or whatever.  They don't even have internet access , they do'nt promote it, and the people they market to don't.  Nobody knows anything there other than  Property(because it's an occupation you dont have to work long hours - so leaves time for torah study), and Torah.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 02:08:50 AM »
That was just an example. There are Vegetable washes that you can find in any supermarket I am not going to get into a large debate over Veggie washes that can be found and any grocery store.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 02:22:46 AM »
interesting.. i hadn't heard of veggie wash.

I guess if goyim came up with it in the name of health , then there's something to it and it shouldn't be dangerous!  But I can imagine that the goyish one is alot more open about what's in theirs than something like tsunami 100 !

I did just read that baking soda with vinegar does the job.

Buying one of these veggie wash things may be a bit of a scam if it's extremely easy to mix your own.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 06:13:52 AM »

You know kosher makes of food, as in jewish companies , they don't even put how many calories , and a breakdown of carbs protein, fat, on the food.

In the United States, this sort of thing is mandated, it must be put on any food.  You can't sell it without that. 

Also you are flipping out a little about kosher "vegetable spray" but I remember very specifically a few years ago, the restaurant chain "Fridays"  started using some kind of special wash on their vegetables for their salads.  It was supposed to be this hip new thing that would make it all "clean and fresh."   I didn't like that either.   But no sense getting in a big frenzy about "ultra orthodox" cause they didn't invent this....

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 09:49:11 AM »
yes, I didn't know that at the time of writing.

Dovid pointed out that "Veggie Wash" existed.. I had never heard of it

I posted that -given that- , it might not be dangerous. Since the goyim came up with it for health reasons, which was to remove pesticide and things.  That's the primary purpose of its "invention". How effective it is is another matter, but I wouldn't expect that to be dangerous. And if it was, there would be people worrying about it.  The goyish makes of things have a wide user base and are open to criticism

If it had just been invented by charedim to get rid of insects.. then I would be worried.

For a  thing made with many ingredients like that, I would still rather get a regular make of whatever it is- if it's kosher - than a  "kosher make".