Author Topic: Classes about the teachings of Shabbetai Ben Dov. Available only at JTF Forum  (Read 4451 times)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Wow, this is awesome.  We are indebted to you judea!  I can't wait to listen to these.... And share them with my friends too hopefully.....

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
I hope that every Jew hears the voice of Shabbetai Ben Dov loud and clear.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
ok.. I searched for Dov to locate this thread.. Got back to it.  I see it was a sticky so I could have found it mroe easily!

I listened to the first one in the list some time ago but it seemed to be in the middle of something.
"ShbenDov-Questions-Shemitta-Ephrath-03-01-5768--8-04-2008.html"

I just listened to ShbenDov-1.mp3  38:38
This one seems to be a beginning.. Maybe the intro was first. But it seems fine.
I absorbed it..

I will post a Concise Summary which I think covers 95% of what he said.

And I will post a more detailed wording of what he said word to hopefully fill some of the remaining 5%.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
ShbenDov-1.mp3  38:38

In summary.
SBD wrote around the 50s. He was a lechi activist, so, hands on too. And he wrote alot, a bit repetitive, and requires patience to read.

Rabbi bar Hayyim basically says that Shabbtai Ben Dov wrote about the galut mentality, the phenomena of not wanting sovereignty, and just wanting to keep shabbat (personal mitzvot, but not national mitzvot),  and as long as we are not getting killed, then that's fine.

Note- there could be a slight issue in this analysis...

RBC notes how SBD notes quoting a professor of jewish history(prof yosef klausner, prof jewish history of hebrew univresity.  nationalistic, not religious) , that chazal didn't record that period much, (I presume he tihnks because they just wanted the personal mitzvot, no interest in sovereignty, no interest in fighting), they hid it, so the finger of blame is pointed at them. They are supposed to be the torch bearers of the tradition of the tenach, which records historical facts in detail, and they failed to do this. They intentionally didn't. This was a 500 year period in israel that they missed out intentionally.

But SBD goes further and says  that even the Maccabees themselves, had the same root problem. They reacted not because they wanted sovereignty, not because they wanted to reestablish the davidic monarchy(I suppose appoint a King, enforce all the mitzvot, or anything). The reacted when told to sin or die, to hellenize - offer korbanot-sacrifices, to zeus(or whatever greek G-d no doubt), or die.  Only then did they rise up and fight. (note- The greeks, -They Were Killing Jews, they channah's 7 sons).. 

RBC (presumably from SBD) says that as soon as the harsh conditions were relaxed, the jewish people were happy to stop fighting, and go back to how they were before

As a point of how the jewish peopel really weren't looking for sovereignty, he says that the royal family were in bavel at the time. Quotes from 2 sources, one he doesn't go into but says he will later.

one source
sefer maccabee, hashmonaim or maccabim,  perek yud daled , pasuk mem aleph,.  (14:41 I suppose) 

the other source
SBD quotes gemara yoma dav(daf?) tet gemara
He doesn't go into that and says he will in the next shiur.

in the sefer (ha)maccabee(maccabim?) source, he says it says that (after the revolt) the jewish people assigned  shimon the role/title of nasi, until a real prophet came. So it was a temporary solution no real fundamental effort to change the nature of their reality.  It was reinstating the status quo ante(reality as it was before). from/like, in bavel.

The representatives of the jewish people, - the kohanim, and the royam family, were in bavel, so no serious effort for regaining sovereignty. And althoug hthe term nasi is often interchagneable with melech(king). Here, in these persian(then greek) times, the nasi was more like a political head of the jewish people, represnting the sovereign/occupying forces.

--------------------
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 05:02:12 PM by q_q_ »

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
This is a more sentence by sentence description..
very repetitive..

SBD a lech activist, wrote in the 50s , the reality of what he saw..
SBD saw that the state was in a bad state..
no direction, no self awareness, like a baby, unable to fend for itself, can't even walk let alone run...
unlike most who only saw the great things. He saw reality

(I disagree.. i think govt is more evil.. not stupid like a baby. e.g. netanyahu belives we need a world coalition or at least coalition with america, against terrorism . I think the idea that the israeli government is naiive has to go. They know what they're doing, they're not idiots, they have their own reasons, corruption, psychological issues, secularism. It's not like a child )

He was of lechi- activist background..

Analyses how we got to where we are.
For thousands of years, or rather, at the mid 19thC, the jewish people were scattered over the globe, no focal point or national leadership.
Late 18thC and 19thC.  (I think he means 1880s based on joan peters)..
Some think zionist movement, only because of herzl there were jews in EY. Not true.  It wasn't starting from zero. There was already a well established jewish presence but not a majourity. But it was growing and vibrant/full of energy.
Then you have zionist movement, analysing zionist movement from there till the inception of the state. SBT does that. Written in 1951/52. TSNA,TSNB.
Essay from 4th volume.. has in front of him. HaPeshara veHaPeshar VeHistori HaBayit Shayni. The meaing and upshot of historical story of the second temple period.
Quotes prof yosef klausner, prof jewish history of hebrew univresity.  nationalistic, not religious. He says.. We all heard of yehuda hamaccabee. From where do we know of him? where is his name mentioned.
obv not tenach.  mishna,talmud-bavli or yerushalmi, midrash-agad,halachot. al hanissim(matityahu his father was mentioned, justifiably, he started the revolt, set the ball rolling, but after that there are no names).  Prof Klausner find a disturbing fact. THe only reason that we know about yehuda hamaccabee, and the historical events of that period  (we know also from josephus flavius but the question remains the same)..  If it was not for the fact that Josefus flavius , a renegade jew or semi renegade jew, decides to write a history of the jewish people up to his time, for the non-jewish roman world..that's if talking about josephus. But, talking of  Hashmonaim alpehph, Maccabee aleph,gimmel and daled. All sorts of books describing the historical events of that period.  All those books are in our possession , not because the jewish people, that is to say, the yeshivot or chachamim kept those books , it's only becuase christian monks in monastries and abbies around te world copied these books .. in the originail, maccabim aleph we have in greek, translated from the hebrew, which is better than nothing.  Had they not preserved them over the millenia, today we would know next to nothing we would know next to nothign about the period of the maccabian revolt.
Prof Klausner was pointing a finger at Chazal, saying they didn't preserve them.. that if it was up to them we wouldn't know anything about them. no emphasis on them. Maccabim, Chashmonaim(hasmoneans).
SBD goes further..
The real question is much bigger. it's not just the parasha before and after that.. It's the entire period of bayit shayni. We have no historical records preserved by written by handed down by chazal . we have mishna, talmud, midrash, but if you look there you will discover that there is no real attempt to give any record of the second temple period. a period of at least roughly 500 years, and didn't happen in chutz laaretz, far flung area, it happened in yerushalaim. Here and there something is mentioned in passing because something else is mentioned, but that's entirely coincidental.. There is no attempt to give us any information. And it's even more suprising that the tenach gives the opposite. IT gives lots of historical records. Sefer yeshushoa onwards gives sa more or oess chronological record of what happened from a political and religious nature, some apparently not even of great religious import, but written in quite some detail. sefer divrei hayamim, more ddiotional information. Chazal we aimagine are the torch bearers of the people that wrote the tenach, and yet there are nothing at all.  He writes at length, with all the time in the world, you have to be very patient to read it. His conclusion is that chazal deliberately ignored or chose not to write about the history of the second temple period, because it was not up to par, less than what the jewish peopel are supposed to be doing for themselves.
an answr- what caused the revolt. not the full exprssion of trying to rerestablish malchut ben dovid. THeyt were living under foreign occupation. persian then greeks, and we don't hear of any attempt. No talk of how you get from foreign rule, break out and get act together fully. Matityahu who is mentioned in Al Hanissim, and chazal a few times, and his sons, yehuda hamaccabee, when did they rise up? only when the greco-syrian govt also heavily occupeid by jewsi b,t theis foreign occupation govt, began to crack down on even the minimal and basically pathetic and limited form of jewish existance that they had at that time.. Galut judaism, that was what the jews wre living under eretz yisrael under greek rule also, and they did nothign to break out and aspire to something greater. it's certainly not the torah recipe for judaism in eretz yisrael. They did nothing until their backs were against the wall.. Only when at the point of being forced to make a churban to greek gods and hellenize or die, did he revolt.  Only when the anti jewish measures were relaxed, they were willing to revert to the situation they were in before. So the real problem is not the fact that the kings were kohanim, the problem was that there was no real aspiration to go beyond that. chazan never criticised the chashmonaim for being kings or leaders..  If all vision of judaism is keep shabbat and ot to be forced to make korbanot to zeus. Not to give a historical record, so what.  Chazal didn't tell us about yehuda hamaccabee, because tey didn't think ti was mportant because they thought it's not the true judaism, it's very limited.. it's a heavily blemished seriousyl degenerate compromised version of judaism. very far from anything that can be considered the proper goal that the jewish people must aspire to and therefore they didn't consier details important like in tenach.  In tenach jewish peopel wre a sovereign nation in their own land, healthier more focussed, normal existance. SBD quotes gemear yoma dav(daf?) tet gemara, that's one source we will go into next time.  Anothe source, is to show the limited nature of the maccabean revolt, he quotes from sefer maccabee, hashmonaim or maccabim,  perek yud daled , pasuk mem aleph,. (14:41 I suppose) 
"The jews the important representatives of the jews, and the kohanimn, (important decision makers) agreed to make shimon nasi . (normally more-or-less nasi and melech/king are interchangeable, but here intention is something less than a full blown king, we see mainly they referred to themselves with title kohain gedolim. And in these times, persian and greek rule, kohain hagadol was more like a poloitical head of the jewish people , represented osoverieng/occupying force). They argeed to make him nasi until a real prophet commenced After broken revolt, a stop gap temprary solution assigning a nasi to this role. No fundamental effort had changed the nature of their reality for the better. a half hearted thing. This is a direct quote from sefer hashmonaim. The hashmonaim saw thmselves not as the great redeemers ushering in a messianic age. they saw themsevle as saingg jews from boblivion , reinstating the status quo ante(way things were before) . reinstating previous reality, as if that was desirable. And there are overtones. but have to sotp here for tonight next time we discuss gemeara masechet yomah which discusses  why bayit rishon was destroyed, why bayit shayni was destroyed, which period was greater, which period were the jewish people better. all discussed by SBD on that page over there. He offers some important insights to that.

to a question we cannot hear
The jewish royal family, davidic family, was in bavel, no attempt to bring them here(to israel). Picture of tremendous victory things turned from black to white. Chanukah celebrates the return to the mikdash .. then ter was a period of ups and downs, different shades of grey, the situation never became really positive and fundemantally changed reality, nd the greeks were able to rurn to governing the land before too long. It was a very short lived event and a partial and half hearted victory.

to another question we cannot hear
no real chagne there either , 2 year period bar kochba romans retreated put the whole thing down. Today's shiur was just an introdocution to the topic.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 05:06:21 PM by q_q_ »

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
Is this in English or Hebrew
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
Is this in English or Hebrew

writing q instead of g (Enqlish) is an interesting typo for a fellow with reasonable eyesight to make.

It's written in English

My hebrew isn't good enough to have understood him had it been in hebrew.. I wouldn't have been able to write an english description.

The reason why I wrote it in english is because text is often a nicer medium..

I urge people who listen to his shiurim and absorb it, to write english descriptions that show his arguments. Even if the writer is not logical, or can't write well, then some attempt in text , peer reviewed, is better than nothing,

It's easier for many people to read english than to listen to an english audio shiur and flick around pausing and thinking about his arguments.
And reading before listening to it may help too..

Offline Gee

• New JTFer
Could someone repost please?

• Gold Star JTF Member
Yes please can someone repost?  I did not get the last file called 394-397 ephrath ....

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
Re: Classes about the teachings of Shabbetai Ben Dov. Available only at JTF Forum
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 06:07:44 AM »
I will try and repost later on this week.

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana

• Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Classes about the teachings of Shabbetai Ben Dov. Available only at JTF Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 07:39:42 PM »

Thanks, btw Judea, is it possible to repost the second of that series of lectures called "breakdown of the halachik system" ?   At the time I wasn't aware of how those uploading sites worked and that the file would eventually come down.   The second one (which you said was exclusive and not available on the Machon Shilo website) I have not downloaded to my computer.  If you could repost that or if qq or anyone else could I would really appreciate it.   You also mentioned that there was a 3rd shiur in that series that required some editing, but that you would eventually post it for us as well.   Did you make any progress with that one?   Thanks.

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 07:05:44 AM »

Thanks, btw Judea, is it possible to repost the second of that series of lectures called "breakdown of the halachik system" ?   At the time I wasn't aware of how those uploading sites worked and that the file would eventually come down.   The second one (which you said was exclusive and not available on the Machon Shilo website) I have not downloaded to my computer.  If you could repost that or if qq or anyone else could I would really appreciate it.   You also mentioned that there was a 3rd shiur in that series that required some editing, but that you would eventually post it for us as well.   Did you make any progress with that one?   Thanks.

Here are the Shabbetai Ben Dov Shiurim.

http://rapidshare.com/files/148235908/ShBenDov-II_p._392-20-13-5768--26-03-2008.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/148235910/ShBenDov-II.p.392--20-13-5768-26-02-2008-part_2.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/148235911/ShbenDov-II-p.394-397-01-01-5768--06-04-2008.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/148235912/ShbenDov-II-pp.394-396-ephrath-03-01-5768-08-04-2008.mp3.html

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 10:01:21 AM »
Thanks Judea!   Shabbat Shalom.

• Gold Star JTF Member
Hey Judea, it seems maybe one of the files was not a complete upload?   The one labelled http://rapidshare.com/files/148235912/ShbenDov-II-pp.394-396-ephrath-03-01-5768-08-04-2008.mp3.html
is only about 10 minutes long and it cuts off midsentence.   It is also 3.75 mb file approximately, which is small.