Author Topic: What is your opinion about the new war in South Ossetia?  (Read 55502 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
What is your opinion about the new war in South Ossetia?
« on: August 08, 2008, 09:36:13 AM »
What is your oppinion about the new war in South Ossetia?

Christians are fighting Christians.

Has anybody more informations about it?
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline IslamIsCancer

• Master JTFer
  • My name is Stalinashvili.
Re: What is your opinion about the new war in South Ossetia?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »

I don't know much about South Ossetia but I know that Joseph Stalin - a Georgian - hated Armenians and gave parts of Armenia to Georgia. Now Armenian schools and churches are being closed by Christian Georgian authorities. I hope they settle that one problem peacefully but if you ask me I have little sympathy for Georgians but I don't hate them.
Free Javakh!!!
I defecate on Stalin's grave.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 10:13:58 AM »

I don't know much about South Ossetia but I know that Joseph Stalin - a Georgian - hated Armenians and gave parts of Armenia to Georgia. Now Armenian schools and churches are being closed by Christian Georgian authorities. I hope they settle that one problem peacefully but if you ask me I have little sympathy for Georgians but I don't hate them.

Is there a difference beween the Armenian and Georgian church?
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:26:35 AM »
Is russia fighting the Georgians?   

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080808/ap_on_re_eu/georgia_south_ossetia   

MUSA SADULAYEV, Associated Press Writer
17 minutes ago

TSKHINVALI, Georgia - Georgian troops launched a major military offensive Friday to regain control over the breakaway province of South Ossetia, prompting a furious response from Russia — which vowed retaliation and sent a column of tanks into the region.

ADVERTISEMENT

More than two dozen were reported dead in the worst outbreak of hostilities since the province won defacto independence in a war that ended in 1992.

Ten Russian peacekeepers were killed and 30 wounded when their barracks were hit in Georgian shelling, said Russian Ground Forces spokesman Col. Igor Konashenkov. Russia has soldiers in South Ossetia as peacekeeping forces but Georgia alleges they back the separatists.

Separatist officials in South Ossetia said 15 civilians had been killed in fighting overnight, and Georgian officials said seven civilians were wounded in bombing raids by Russia.

The main hospital in Tskhinvali, the provincial capital, had ceased functioning and ambulances were unable to reach wounded civilians, said international Red Cross spokeswoman Maia Kardova in Tbilisi, Georgia.

The fighting broke out when much of the world's attention was focused on the start of the Olympic Games and many leaders, including Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and President Bush, were on their way to Beijing.

Georgia's President Mikhail Saakashvili, who insists his government's military action was provoked, noted the timing in an interview with CNN.

"Most decision makers have gone for the holidays," he said. "Brilliant moment to attack a small country."

Speaking earlier on Georgian television, Saakashvili accused Russia of sending aircraft to bomb Georgian territory, which Russia denied.

Russia's Defense Ministry said it was sending reinforcements for its peacekeepers, and Russian state television and Georgian officials reported a convoy of tanks had crossed the border. The convoy was expected to reach the provincial capital, Tskhinvali, by evening, Channel One television said.

Georgian State Minister for Reintegration Temur Yakobashvili said government troops were now in full control of the city.

"We are facing Russian aggression," said Georgia's Security Council chief Kakha Lomaya. "They have sent in their troops and weapons and they are bombing our towns."

Putin has warned that the Georgian attack will draw retaliation and the Defense Ministry pledged to protect South Ossetians, most of whom have Russian citizenship.

Georgia, which borders the Black Sea between Turkey and Russia, was ruled by Moscow for most of the two centuries preceding the breakup of the Soviet Union. The country has angered Russia by seeking NATO membership — a bid Moscow regards as part of a Western effort to weaken its influence in the region.

An Associated Press reporter saw tanks and other heavy weapons concentrating on the Russian side of the border with South Ossetia. Some villagers were fleeing into Russia.

"I saw them (the Georgians) shelling my village," said Maria, who gave only her first name. She said she and other villagers spent the night in a field and then fled toward the Russian border as the fighting escalated.

Georgia declared a three-hour cease-fire to allow civilians to leave Tskhinvali. Georgian Interior Ministry spokesman Shota Utiashvili said troops were observing the cease-fire, which began at 3 p.m. local time (7 a.m. EDT).

Yakobashvili said Georgian forces have shot down two Russian combat planes over Georgian territory. He gave no details. Russia's Defense Ministry denied an earlier Georgia report about one Russian plane downed and had no immediate comment on the latest claim.

Yakobashvili said that one Russian plane had dropped a bomb on the Vaziani military base near the Georgian capital, but no one was hurt.

More than 1,000 U.S. Marines and soldiers were at the base last month to teach combat skills to Georgian troops. Georgia has about 2,000 troops in Iraq, making it the third-largest contributor to coalition forces after the U.S. and Britain.

The White House on Friday urged Russia and Georgia to peacefully resolve their dispute over South Ossetia.

"We urge restraint on all sides — that violence would be curtailed and that direct dialogue could ensue in order to help resolve their differences," White House spokeswoman Dana Perino told reporters.

NATO Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer said he was seriously concerned about the fighting and that the alliance is closely following the situation.

South Ossetia officials said Georgia attacked with aircraft, armor and heavy artillery. Georgian troops fired missiles at Tskhinvali, an official said, and many buildings were on fire.

Georgia's president said Russian aircraft bombed several Georgian villages and other civilian facilities.

"A full-scale aggression has been launched against Georgia," Saakashvili said in a televised statement. He also announced a full military mobilization with reservists being called into action.

Seven civilians were wounded when three Russian Su-24 jet bombers flew into Georgia and bombed the town of Gori and the villages of Kareli and Variani, Deputy Interior Minister Eka Sguladze said at a briefing.

She said that four Russian jets later bombed Gori, the hometown of Soviet dictator Josef Stalin, but that raid didn't cause any casualties.

Saakashvili urged Russia to immediately stop bombing Georgian territory. "Georgia will not yield its territory or renounce its freedom," he said.

A senior Russian diplomat in charge of the South Ossetian conflict, Yuri Popov, dismissed the Georgian claims of Russian bombings as misinformation, the RIA-Novosti news agency reported.

Russia's Defense Ministry denounced the Georgian attack as a "dirty adventure." "Blood shed in South Ossetia will weigh on their conscience," the ministry said in a statement posted on its Web site.

"We will protect our peacekeepers and Russian citizens," it said without elaboration.

Russia's President Dmitry Medvedev later chaired a session of his Security Council in the Kremlin, vowing that Moscow will protect Russian citizens.

"In accordance with the constitution and federal law, I, as president of Russia, am obliged to protect lives and dignity of Russian citizens wherever they are located," Medvedev said, according to Russian news reports. "We won't allow the death of our compatriots go unpunished."

Saakashvili long has pledged to restore Tbilisi's rule over South Ossetia and another breakaway province, Abkhazia. Both regions have run their own affairs without international recognition since splitting from Georgia in the early 1990s and built up ties with Moscow.

Relations between Georgia and Russia worsened notably this year as Georgia pushed to join NATO and Russia dispatched additional peacekeeper forces to Abkhazia.

The Georgian attack came just hours after Saakashvili announced a unilateral cease-fire in a television broadcast late Thursday in which he also urged South Ossetian separatist leaders to enter talks on resolving the conflict.

Georgian officials later blamed South Ossetian separatists for thwarting the cease-fire by shelling Georgian villages in the area.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:30:10 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline IslamIsCancer

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:30:50 AM »

Is there a difference beween the Armenian and Georgian church?

Maybe a few formal differences, I don't really know I'm not an expert on the subject.
But I know they have very good church music and beautiful dances.
Free Javakh!!!

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 10:33:25 AM »
I am pretty sure that Russia can wipe out the Georgians really quickly. That is unfortunate though because Russia who is stuffing Iran with weapons needs a big blow.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline IslamIsCancer

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 10:40:09 AM »
Let's hope they end this madness and start negotiating instead.
Free Javakh!!!

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 10:45:01 AM »
After I read the article Mord has posted. It looks like Saakashvili got mad.

Imo he wants to rope in the USA and the NATO in his conflict with South Ossetia and Russia.

But after the evil things they did with Serbia Russia will not withdraw.  :(

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 10:51:35 AM »
What are  Ossetians
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline IslamIsCancer

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 10:54:23 AM »
What are  Ossetians

from wikipedia

Today the majority of Ossetians, from both North and South Ossetia, follow Eastern Orthodoxy. As the time went by, Digor in the west came under Kabard and Islamic influence. It was through the Kabardians (an East Circassian tribe) that Islam was introduced into the region in the 17th century. Today, a minority profess Sunni Islam). Tuallag in the southernmost region became part of what is now Georgia, and Iron, the northernmost group, came under Russian rule after 1767, which strengthened Orthodox Christianity considerably. Most of the Ossetes today are Eastern Orthodox Christians.
Free Javakh!!!

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 10:56:52 AM »
What are  Ossetians

from wikipedia

Today the majority of Ossetians, from both North and South Ossetia, follow Eastern Orthodoxy. As the time went by, Digor in the west came under Kabard and Islamic influence. It was through the Kabardians (an East Circassian tribe) that Islam was introduced into the region in the 17th century. Today, a minority profess Sunni Islam). Tuallag in the southernmost region became part of what is now Georgia, and Iron, the northernmost group, came under Russian rule after 1767, which strengthened Orthodox Christianity considerably. Most of the Ossetes today are Eastern Orthodox Christians.
oh i see

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline IslamIsCancer

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 11:00:23 AM »

Imo he wants to rope in the USA and the NATO in his conflict with South Ossetia and Russia.

But after the evil things they did with Serbia Russia will not withdraw.  :(

Sakashvili is an A hole he's gonna drag his people into a bloody war.
Americans and NATO are behind this, and the current unrest in Armenia is also financed and supported by the United States. America has its largest embassy in Armenia and they are financing and backing left wing pro TURK scumbags like Levon Ter-Petrosyan may he die of cancer. America wants to destroy our alliance with Russia, just like in Serbia.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:02:22 AM by IslamIsCancer »
Free Javakh!!!

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 11:03:30 AM »

Americans and NATO are behind this, and the current unrest in Armenia is also financed and supported by the United States. America has its largest embassy in Armenia and they are financing and backing left wing pro TURK scumbags like Levon Ter-Petrosyan may he die of cancer. America wants to destroy our alliance with Russia, just like they are doing in Serbia.

I agree. I have a very bad feeling about this war.

This idiot Sakashvili is so stupid. Why don't let the things like they are?

Thousands of people have now to die for nothing. Only for the egotrip of this idiot.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline IslamIsCancer

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 11:18:30 AM »

Americans and NATO are behind this, and the current unrest in Armenia is also financed and supported by the United States. America has its largest embassy in Armenia and they are financing and backing left wing pro TURK scumbags like Levon Ter-Petrosyan may he die of cancer. America wants to destroy our alliance with Russia, just like they are doing in Serbia.

I agree. I have a very bad feeling about this war.

This idiot Sakashvili is so stupid. Why don't let the things like they are?

Thousands of people have now to die for nothing. Only for the egotrip of this idiot.  >:( >:( >:(
Honestly I don't think Sahakashvili would take on Russia if he wasn't sure the West and NATO were behind him.
Maybe this is a NATO exercise IDK.
Free Javakh!!!

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 11:24:42 AM »
Yes the USA have sent military instructors. But I doubt that the USA are really behind this. The implications are too enormous.  :(

They have enough problems all over the world. If it will come hard on hard - They will loose this conflict for shure.

The American public will never support a war against Russia because of Georgia.

Offline IslamIsCancer

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »
haha watch the first 5 seconds of this

I think she almost got sniped... dumb reporters!!
Stay the hell out of the battle zone.
Free Javakh!!!

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 11:27:58 AM »
haha watch the first 5 seconds of this

I think she almost got sniped... dumb reporters!!
Stay the hell out of the battle zone.
This reporters go in war zones and when they killed their news services or reporter4s without border whine.Bullets don'nt know the difference between reporters and normal people ;D

Shot at 2010-01-03

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 11:33:31 AM »
i don't know much, but i say, leave it to the Georgians...it might not be about religion...but have to look into it.

Also, the only time i would support intervention is if an evil nazi or evil muslim group is trying to take it over...

and so it goes if it were any other enemy such as the communists of the coldwar time period.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline IslamIsCancer

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 11:36:16 AM »
Yes the USA have sent military instructors. But I doubt that the USA are really behind this. The implications are too enormous.  :(

They have enough problems all over the world. If it will come hard on hard - They will loose this conflict for shure.

Would you go against Russia if you know you'd be on your own? I sure as hell wouldn't.
Somebody is behind this, small countries like Georgia would NEVER take on Russia.
Russia is weak but Georgia is even weaker.
Free Javakh!!!

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 11:38:29 AM »

Would you go against Russia if you know you'd be on your own? I sure as hell wouldn't.
Somebody is behind this, small countries like Georgia would NEVER take on Russia.

Some people are nuts or they only think, that they have the support, they obviously don't have. Or do you think the USA want a war with Russia?  ???

Offline IslamIsCancer

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »

Some people are nuts or they only think, that they have the support, they obviously don't have. Or do you think the USA want a war with Russia?  ???
Proxy war, they won't directly attack Russia but it seems they do want that somebody fights Russia.
Free Javakh!!!

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 11:52:19 AM »

I would

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 11:58:30 AM »
The U.S. is friendly with Georgia but i don'nt think they want to have a war over it

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Gruzinit

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 12:00:52 PM »
As I have been watching this situation for months I can tell you this was a long time coming, everyone in my family knew this would happen, that Russia always set it sights on Georgia, because like Chechnya, they believe it is theirs.

NATO will not get involved. The fact is that most people couldn't find Georgia on a map, and many don't care to send thier soldiers to nomadic peacekeepers.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 12:03:02 PM by Gruzinit »
The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money. – Alexis de Tocqueville

Communism is like prohibition, it's a good idea but it won't work. - Will Rogers

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 12:02:12 PM »
As I have been watching this situation for months I can tell you this was a long time coming, everyone in my family knew this would happen, that Russia always set it sights on Georgia, because like Chechnya, they believe it is theirs.

They also think Ukraine is there also