Author Topic: McCain Camp Fires at NBC, Insists Candidate Observed ‘Cone of Silence’  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
John McCain’s campaign is accusing NBC’s Andrea Mitchell of parroting unsubstantiated claims by Barack Obama’s campaign that McCain “cheated” in Saturday’s presidential forum.

Rick Davis, McCain’s campaign manager, is demanding a meeting with NBC News president Steve Capus to complain about Mitchell’s comments on Sunday’s “Meet the Press.” The reporter gave voice to what she described as grumblings from the Obama camp that McCain secretly listened in on the Rev. Rick Warren’s questions to Obama, knowing that Warren planned to pose the same questions to McCain.

“The Obama people must feel that he didn’t do quite as well as they might have wanted to in that context, because what they are putting out privately is that McCain may not have been in the cone of silence and may have had some ability to overhear what the questions were to Obama,” Mitchell said. “He seemed so well-prepared.”

That prompted Davis to fire off an angry letter to Capus on Sunday.

“The level of objectivity at NBC News has fallen so low that reporters are now giving voice to unsubstantiated, partisan claims in order to undercut John McCain,” Davis fumed. “Mitchell did what has become a pattern for her of simply repeating Obama campaign talking points.”

During the televised forum broadcast from Saddleback Church in Orange County, Calif., Warren told viewers that McCain would be in a “cone of silence” during the questioning of Obama. Davis confirmed that “McCain was in a motorcade to the event and then held in a green room with no broadcast feed.”

“Mitchell is repeating, uncritically, a completely unsubstantiated Obama campaign claim that John McCain somehow cheated,” Davis wrote. “Instead of trying to substantiate this blatant falsehood in any way, Andrea Mitchell felt that she needed to repeat it on air to millions.”

Meanwhile, Warren told FOX News Radio that the allegations that McCain heard Obama’s questions ahead of time were “total bogus.”

“Cone of silence is a silly term I used from Maxwell Smart,” Warren said. “We had him a green room in a totally different building.  Somebody said there was a monitor in that room, yeah, but it was disconnected at the source. If he’d tried to turn it on, all he’d have gotten was fuzz, because it wasn’t even connected.  So the Secret Service picked him up, brought him straight to that room, put him in that building.  Somebody is systematically calling up all the media the media and trying to create, I dont know, I guess they didn’t like the format or whatever. ”

FOX News asked the Obama campaign whether it suspected that McCain somehow listened in on the Warren-Obama exchange.

“We as a campaign have not said anything about it, though the McCain folks do seem pretty sensitive on the point,” said Obama spokesman Bill Burton. “Obama went. He spoke. We appreciated the opportunity.”

Mitchell could not be reached for comment. Last month, conservatives accused her of bias when she criticized a McCain TV ad that went after Obama for canceling a scheduled visit to a U.S. military hospital in Germany.

“He made time to go to the gym, but canceled a visit with wounded troops,” the ad said. “Seems the Pentagon wouldn’t allow him to bring cameras.”

“That literally is not true,” Mitchell said on MSNBC. “Obama had no intention of bringing any cameras with him. I was there. I can vouch for that.”

She added: “It just seems inexplicable that this whole thing has been such an issue. But clearly the McCain campaign wants this to be an issue, wants to paint him as someone who’s unfeeling about the troops.”

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
The Obama people must feel that he didn’t do quite as well as they might have wanted to in that context, because what they are putting out privately is that McCain may not have been in the cone of silence and may have had some ability to overhear what the questions were to Obama,” Mitchell said. “He seemed so well-prepared.”

This is the key. Even obama's camp cannot deny that he was soundly beat by McCain.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
Even when he gets beat like a Rented Mule he blames the White Man for his troubles... typical shwartzer behavior!
and I mean that in the nicest possible way...  ;D

Offline Roadwarrior

• Pro JTFer
Jack Cafferty - the guy who wears the same white
shirt on CNN and rolls up his sleeves and always feigns anger
about something .....
was verrry angry that Obama was roundly crushed ...

He was also looking for an excuse that Mccain was
not in the "cone of silence"

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member

I think I see a conspiracy here.
Everyone, who is old enough, knows the cone of silence never works.  :::D
Obama should demand a new cone of silence be installed the next time.  ;)
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
I could not believe that they actually used the expression "The cone of silence". The first thing that came to mind was the old Get Smart program that featured this wonder  :::D. Everyone in the room would hear what was said except the two people in the cone trying to converse in private. The questions in the Saddle Back debate were easy and their was no need for all this drama. Obama did not do well because he is a phony and he was unable to answer because he would then have to take a position. McCain answered quickly because his positions were the one he has had right along.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
Andrea Mitchell is a disgusting pig.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
I second that!
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
I second that!
And her husband too, Alan Greenspan!

Offline Roadwarrior

• Pro JTFer
Andrea Mitchell and Ron Brownstein were Visibly upset on MSNBC after the Britney Spears and Moses ads were aired ....how dare the Mccain
campaign run such negative ads ....they were clearly displeased
that the Obamessiah was the object of satire .....

So it's fitting that Andrea Mitchell followed up her love of the Obamessiah
with these Cone of Silence tallking points....

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
Andrea Mitchell and Ron Brownstein were Visibly upset on MSNBC after the Britney Spears and Moses ads were aired ....how dare the Mccain
campaign run such negative ads ....they were clearly displeased
that the Obamessiah was the object of satire .....

So it's fitting that Andrea Mitchell followed up her love of the Obamessiah
with these Cone of Silence tallking points....

Andrea Mitchell is giving McCain a good opportunity.

McCain should say something like: "OK, to dispel any doubts about whether I was in a 'cone of silence' or heard the Saddleback questions in advance, I challenge Osama... LET'S DO IT AGAIN ! This time, I'll go first, I'm even willing to let Osama know the questions in advance, and I'LL STILL WIPE THE FLOOR WITH HIM !"

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!

I think I see a conspiracy here.
Everyone, who is old enough, knows the cone of silence never works.  :::D
Obama should demand a new cone of silence be installed the next time.  ;)

I am looking forward to the Presidential debate....Obama without his teleprompter!      :::D

Shalom from Dox