Poll

Is selfhate for the right reasons righteous?

Yes
3 (21.4%)
No
9 (64.3%)
Else
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Is selfhate for the right reasons reighteous?  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Is selfhate for the right reasons reighteous?
« on: September 04, 2008, 08:24:05 AM »
Is selfhate for the right reasons reighteous?

We all know god exspects certain things from us. If we see him and his endlessness and his perfection we feel small. If we catch what he commands us to do, we feel sad, because we know we are far from perfection.

If we hate us for our mistakes it is in my oppinion the first step to correction.

I think this righteous selfhate is one of our greatest abilities. Althrough without god it turns into secular selfhate. This secular selfhate is part of a secular replacement theology and imo a heresy.

So I voted yes.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Is selfhate for the right reasons reighteous?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 08:29:50 AM »
I don't think God wants us to hate ourselves because He doesn't hate us. We should seek to please God out of love.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:39:37 AM »
I don't think G-d wants us to hate ourselves because He doesn't hate us. We should seek to please G-d out of love.
No G-D doesn't want us to hate ourselves but perhaps that's a natural happening when we see how none righteous we are
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 08:40:21 AM »
I don't think G-d wants us to hate ourselves because He doesn't hate us. We should seek to please G-d out of love.
No G-D doesn't want us to hate ourselves but perhaps thats a natural happening when we see how  none rightgeous we are

I think everyone makes mistakes and we shouldn't hate ourselves for this. We should take a positive approach in trying to do better.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 08:42:03 AM »

But his wrath can be terrible. So he threatens us with punishment if we don't do what he says. So it seems to be not only love. Perhaps it is a mix  :-\

I hate myself if I do evil things, even small things.

So if I stole movies by downloading it without paying or for smoking sometimes a cigarrette althrough it is unhealthy and god says that we should not do unhealthy things on purpose  :(
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:44:43 AM by Pheasant »
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 09:00:08 AM »
I don't know how things were done when you were young Pheasant but when I was young people used to share videotapes they'd bought so other people could borrow them and watch them. File sharing is exactly the same thing. Nothing is stolen, the person is just sharing the movie they bought with you. If the big corporations lose money this can only be a good thing anyway.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
I don't know how things were done when you were young Pheasant but when I was young people used to share videotapes they'd bought so other people could borrow them and watch them. File sharing is exactly the same thing. Nothing is stolen, the person is just sharing the movie they bought with you. If the big corporations lose money this can only be a good thing anyway.

Big cooperations are private institutions too. We are not allowed to cheat them. Althrough I did sometimes.

Yes in my youth I had a C64 and an Amiga. I had lots of illigal copies, but this don't mean this is not stealing.  :(

I had never a TV, so this video issue was never an issue for me. It only becomes it today, because of the internet.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 09:49:52 AM »
Interesting...I went to hear a rabbi speak last night.  He was talking about sins, forgiveness etc.  He said, we need to verbalize our sins, and more importantly, to be embarrassed by them, in order to repent.  So I don't think it has to do with self hatred.  But that's just my opinion.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 10:06:15 AM »
Interesting...I went to hear a rabbi speak last night.  He was talking about sins, forgiveness etc.  He said, we need to verbalize our sins, and more importantly, to be embarrassed by them, in order to repent.  So I don't think it has to do with self hatred.  But that's just my opinion.

I agree with him that we should feel bad about our sins. If we don't then we can't really repent of them sincerely. However I don't think this should cross over into self-hatred.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 11:46:23 AM »
Rubystar,

I dont agree and the laws dont agree and Torah doesnt agree. It is stealing if you obtain something which you did not create without paying for it. You cannot aquire anything which is not yours without paying the price. You did not create the content, someone else worked hard to create it, it is not yours to take as you please. I dont think it is good to condone illegal activity.

muman613

PS: When I was young I too was involved in pirating software. It is very good that Pheasant feels regret for what he did in his youth. I too regret a lot of the things I did in my 20s.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 11:49:55 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 11:48:34 AM »
Lisa,

Are you talking about the laws of Teshuva, repentence. Many rabbis will be talking about this this month as we are preparing for Rosh Hashana. Right now is the best time for repentence...

In order to be forgiven of sins one must honestly regret doing the sin. If  they are in the same situation they must be able to resist doing the same sin. In cases of sins between man and man you must obtain forgiveness from the one you wronged.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 11:52:43 AM »
Rubystar,

I dont agree and the laws dont agree and Torah doesnt agree. It is stealing if you obtain something which you did not create without paying for it. You cannot aquire anything which is not yours without paying the price. You did not create the content, someone else worked hard to create it, it is not yours to take as you please. I dont think it is good to condone illegal activity.

muman613

PS: When I was young I too was involved in pirating software. It is very good that Pheasant feels regret for what he did in his youth. I too regret a lot of the things I did in my 20s.

So you are telling me that if your friend has a movie on DVD and you borrow it you are stealing because you did not buy your own DVD?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 11:59:37 AM »
I don't condone illegal activity. Letting someone watch a movie you bought is not illegal.  ;D

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 11:59:44 AM »
I don't hate myself. I think that is self destructive. I hate that I sin and that I should spend more time reading the Bible and following God's will instead of my own.
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 12:00:40 PM »
Rubystar,

muman613

So you are telling me that if your friend has a movie on DVD and you borrow it you are stealing because you did not buy your own DVD?

It is only bad if it is a naughty movie. I would be afraid to borrow any of yours.
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 12:01:50 PM »
I don't hate myself. I think that is self destructive. I hate that I sin and that I should spend more time reading the Bible and following G-d's will instead of my own.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 12:05:15 PM »
Rubystar,

muman613

It is only bad if it is a naughty movie. I would be afraid to borrow any of yours.

I HAVE BEEN CAUGHT ;)

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 01:47:21 PM »
I try to avoid hate altogether.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 01:52:31 PM »
i dont' understand your question and explanation.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 01:58:21 PM »
i dont' understand your question and explanation.

Sorry

I said, that if we hate us for our mistakes, we have a greater impulse to correct ourselves and become more righteous.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 03:47:13 PM »
Rubystar,

muman613

No that is not stealing.. What is stealing is if you take that DVD from your friend, stick it into your computer and make a copy of it to your hard drive. You have stolen the content and made a copy which you consider your own. As long as the media is on the original item purchased I think there is no question about the legality. It is illegal to make copies for your own use from movies you borrow or rent. Rental doesnt mean you have a right to copy.

muman613