Author Topic: Japanese treatment of Jews during world war II?  (Read 4509 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Japanese treatment of Jews during world war II?
« on: September 07, 2008, 02:33:06 PM »
Anyone have any documented cases of how Japan treated Jews during world war II? I've read a wikipedia article and it's sources claim that Japan rejected Nazi orders to exterminate Jews, anyone know how true this is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Japan

The Fugu Plan or Fugu Plot (河豚計画, Fugu keikaku?) was a scheme created by the Japanese government in the 1930s, centered around the idea of creating political and economic advantages for Japan by settling Jewish refugees from Nazi Europe in Japanese-controlled Manchuria. The motivation behind the plan appears to have been based on an uncritical acceptance of anti-Semitic propaganda such as the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, which promulgated the idea that the Jewish people had an intrinsic and almost supernatural ability to accumulate money and power. Japanese leaders such as Captain Inuzuka Koreshige (犬塚 惟重), Colonel Yasue Norihiro (安江 仙弘) and industrialist Aikawa Yoshisuke (鮎川 義介), known as the "Jewish experts", came to believe that this economic and political power could be harnessed by Japan through controlled immigration, and that such a policy would also ensure favor from the United States through the influence of American Jewry. Although efforts were made to attract Jewish investment and immigrants, the plan was limited by the government's desire not to interfere with its alliance with Nazi Germany. Ultimately it was left up to the world Jewish community to fund the settlements and to supply settlers, and the plan failed to attract a significant long-term population or create the strategic benefits for Japan that had been expected by its originators.

Ironically, during World War II, Japan was regarded as a safe refuge from the Holocaust, despite being a part of the Axis and an ally of Germany, which persecuted the Jews. During World War II, Jews trying to escape Poland could not pass the blockades near the Soviet Union and the Mediterranean Sea and were forced to go through the neutral country of Lithuania (which was occupied by belligerents in June 1940, starting with the Soviet Union, then Germany, and then the Soviet Union again).

Of those who arrived, many (around 5,000) were sent to the Dutch West Indies with Japanese visas issued by Chiune Sugihara, the Japanese consul to Lithuania. Sugihara ignored his orders and gave thousands of Jews entry visas to Japan, risking his career and saving as many as 10,000 lives. Most Jews were permitted and encouraged to move on from Japan to settle in Shanghai, China under Japanese occupation for the duration of World War II.

Late in the War, Nazi representatives pressured the Japanese army to devise a plan to exterminate Shanghai's Jewish population, and this pressure eventually became known to the Jewish community's leadership. However, the Japanese had no intention of further provoking the anger of the Allies, and thus delayed the German request for a time, eventually rejecting it entirely.

The relative safety of the Jews during this period, in contrast to the Japanese treatment of Chinese during the war, was linked to Jewish connections in the United States. It was believed that good treatment of Jews within Japanese territory would help cause the US to look favorably upon Japan. Nevertheless, conditions in the Designated Area were abysmal, particularly during the summer months.

One famous Orthodox Jewish institution that was saved this way was the Lithuanian Haredi Mir yeshiva. The Japanese government and people offered the Jews temporary shelter, medical services, food, transportation, and gifts, but preferred that they move on to reside in Japanese-occupied Shanghai.

Throughout the war, the Japanese government continually rejected requests from the German government to establish anti-Semitic policies. At war's end, about half these Jews later moved on to the Western hemisphere (such as the United States and Canada) and the remainder moved to other parts of the world, many to Israel.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 02:35:05 PM by White Israelite »

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Re: Japanese treatment of Jews during world war II?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 02:36:15 PM »
I have never heard about this :-\

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 02:36:24 PM »
I dont think that the Japanese were bad to Jews during WW2. Im not too sure but I think that they helped some Jews leave Europe and go to their country or to China.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 02:37:24 PM »
Japanese treatment couldn't have been any worse than European treatment. We were taken in to various Asian Countries, and remain to have a bit of a population in Japan, China etc... to this day.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 02:37:43 PM »
I dont think that the Japanese were bad to Jews during WW2. Im not too sure but I think that they helped some Jews leave Europe and go to their country or to China.

Yes the article claims Chiune Sugihara saved up to 10,000 Jews.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 06:25:04 PM »
The Japanese, while allied with Germany and Italy, had its own motivation for war, which did not include anti-Semitism.  Italy also, did not share Germany's hatred of Jews.  Mussolini's refusal to carry out deportations caused his relationship with Hitler (ym"sh) to deteriorate.

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 07:25:17 PM »
Its true, the Japs helped the Jews somewhat during the war times.

Yes they were allied to the Nazi's, BUT they refused to impliment nazi racial policies, and in fact many jews found safety and sanctuary via Japan.
All true...at least from what I have read.
Thus the Jews struck all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying; and they did what they pleased to those who hated them.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 07:35:21 PM »
Japan in WWII was a Nazi regime--period.

Japan was helping Adolf Hitler, yimach schmo, to win the war. If the Nazis won the war, where would any Jews in the world have left to go? Therefore the idea that Japan helped its Jewry is b.s. I guarantee you that if there had been any kind of a substantial Jewish population in Japan, the Tojo would have enthusiastically partaken in the Final Solution.

Leaving the Jews aside--the Japanese were plenty Nazilike in other ways--such as their treatment of all non-Japanese Asians as untermensch. Have you heard about the various forms of recreation off-duty Hirohitoist soldiers engaged in with the occupied peoples--such as the well-known spectacle of catch-the-baby-on-the-end-of-a-bayonet?  >:( >:( >:( Some of the sadistic Japanese practices on their subjects rivaled the abominations the Nazi Germans came up with.

The Japanese certainly tried to implement a final solution in the parts of China they occupied against the Chinese--not to mention their Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese, etc. "comfort women", etc.  >:(

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 07:39:13 PM »

Japan was helping Adolf Hitler, yimach schmo, to win the war. If the Nazis won the war, where would any Jews in the world have left to go? Therefore the idea that Japan helped its Jewry is b.s. I guarantee you that if there had been any kind of a substantial Jewish population in Japan, the Tojo would have enthusiastically partaken in the Final Solution.

Leaving the Jews aside--the Japanese were plenty Nazilike in other ways--such as their treatment of all non-Japanese Asians as untermensch. Have you heard about the various forms of recreation off-duty Hirohitoist soldiers engaged in with the occupied peoples--such as the well-known spectacle of catch-the-baby-on-the-end-of-a-bayonet?  >:( >:( >:( Some of the sadistic Japanese practices on their subjects rivaled the abominations the Nazi Germans came up with.

The Japanese certainly tried to implement a final solution in the parts of China they occupied against the Chinese--not to mention their Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese, etc. "comfort women", etc.  >:(

I've read about the nazis doing that but not about the Japanese.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 08:13:43 PM »

Yeah but now China and North Korea are aiding our current enemies.

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 08:20:19 PM »
Chiune Sugihara was a great a righteous person. His career has never recovered after he issued thousands of unauthorized visas and he died in relative obscurity and in poverty. His memory is enshrined in Yad Vashem.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 08:23:39 PM »
Shalom,

I happen to know Jews who were saved by Shanghai from the Nazis...

muman613

http://www.gluckman.com/ShanghaiJewsChina.html
hus began the third phase of Jewish migration; an estimated 20,000 poured into Shanghai from 1937 to 1939. Some merely passed through, en route to the Americas, Palestine or Australia, but about 90% stayed. Restrictions were put on immigration in August 1939, but still they came in droves as war consumed Europe and other avenues of escape closed. Thousands arrived in rags, with neither entry permits nor any means of support. Housing for latecomers was extremely sparse -- hundreds languished in temporary shelters. The four-person family of Ralph Hirsch, who escaped from Berlin to Shanghai as a boy in 1940, had a tiny apartment for six months, then lived in one small room for six years. Other refugees recall sharing one room with several families.

It was a constant struggle, but the community took care of itself until Pearl Harbor in 1941. Foreigners from Allied nations were sent to prison camps. German and Austrian Jews, the largest group, were considered stateless refugees, and were confined to Hongkou ghetto in 1943. "There was no barbed wire and it wasn't heavily patrolled, but adults needed passes to go out," says Hirsch, American director of a group called the Council on the Jewish Experience in Shanghai. Yet, with all its deprivations, Hongkou was like summer camp compared with ghettos in Europe, where Jews were penned in by the Nazis, who eventually sent most to their deaths.

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 08:29:40 PM »

Imagine..... someone defending China & N. Korea...... :o
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 08:31:54 PM »

Imagine..... someone defending China & N. Korea...... :o

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 08:41:26 PM by Americanhero »

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 08:37:27 PM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 08:39:01 PM »
Ich,

Why the naked picture of that korean slug?

muman613
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 08:40:26 PM »
Ich,

muman613

It was the wrong picture, I deleted it. Unfortunately Americanhero is fast in his replys.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 08:41:04 PM »
Ich,

muman613

It was the wrong picture, I deleted it. Unfortunately Americanhero is fast in his replys.

I am :::D

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 08:41:42 PM »
Took it off

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 08:43:48 PM »
Japan treated POWS worse then any European country ,if you were captured by the Jappenes your chance of survival was very low
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »
Japan treated POWS worse then any European country ,if you were captured by the Jappenes your chance of survival was very low

They did some discusting stuff to the people they captured

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 08:47:18 PM »

I've heard they were brutal to Americans, Australians and other Asians that were caught, but why were anti-semitic policies not enforced in Japan? Was it a different form of anti-semitism? The Japanese believed the Jews had powers to make a nation wealthy and perhaps this is why they kept them around? Japan even promoted a homeland for Jews in Manchuria at one point but it wasn't very successful from my understanding.

Japan today however appears to be quite a different nation, while many of the people oppose Americans over there, from a business standpoint, they do assist our economy by building factories here, Mitsubishi, Toyota, and many other brands are more American (as they are actually built in the US) than FORD now.

I'd rather take a product made in Japan than made in China, and the quality is good.

Also most Japanese folks I have met are very respectful and polite.

I refuse to defend the Japanese for what they did during World War II, but if there were any righteous Japanese individuals, shouldn't they be honored for what they did to help Jews?

Also I don't understand why Italy gets a free pass? We have many Italian members here and Italy was a member of the Axis but we don't speak of Italy like we do Germany and Japan. No offense to any Italians here.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 08:49:33 PM by White Israelite »

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 08:55:29 PM »
the Japanese thought it was true the propaganda about Jewish power
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 08:55:50 PM »
Meanwhile people like this schmuck Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (may his name and memory be obliterated and he spend eternity roasting) say that the Holocaust never happened.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2