Author Topic: New piracy laws affect my business  (Read 1570 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
New piracy laws affect my business
« on: September 12, 2008, 03:29:24 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080911-committee-amends-approves-enormous-gift-to-big-content.html

"The Senate Judiciary Committee has approved the EIPA (the Enforcement of Intellectual
Property Rights Act of 2008), which would create copyright cops. And these cops would
take over the RIAA's War on Sharing by filing civil lawsuits and using civil forfeiture
laws to take any and all computers engaged in infringement. Worse, they would even seize
computers (such as servers or database farms) that house the data of innocent people, and
these people would not have any right to get their data back. At best the 'virtual
bystanders' who happened to have data on a computer used for infringement could get a
protective order saying that no one should go rummaging through their stuff."

This is bad, in the event a customer is hosted on our servers and they have copyright
data (mp3's, movies) located on the server even for backup purposes, our entire business
would be affected as a result due to this new bill being passed.

The method of copyright infringement used to work like this.

User is downloading blah.mp3 on public tracker, MPAA or RIAA collects lists of IP
addresses and they are reverse checked for ISP information (who owns the IP addresses),
ISP is contacted and verifys the IP address, time/date the abuse report was sent and who
that IP is assigned to (customer wise), customer information is kept safe as a result of
privacy policy, customer is notified by ISP of possible copyright infringement and is
warned to deleted the file and that if caught again, they face termination of their
account.

In the event that MPAA or RIAA wants to take action against a individual, they would
request a subpoena against the ISP and the ISP would then be forced to hand over records
of the customer which the customer is then sued for criminal copyright infringement (a
federal felony) or it is settled out of court.

Realistically, the MPAA and RIAA cannot go after everyone because there are too many
people engaged in this.

The issue is that this new bill affects businesses as well, previously, a host would
cooperate with the law enforcement if a lawsuit came up in regards to file sharing, the
new law appears to allow law enforcement to actually confiscate server(s) without actual
evidence of files present on a server which would cause damages to the business.

If this is the case, how should we prepare against this bill since it appears to directly
affect all hosting companies? We cannot control what our customers upload nor can we
assume what materials are copyright and what materials are not copyright unless it is
reported to our abuse department. The time needed to individually check each file and
their copyright would be substantial.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: New piracy laws affect my business
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:36:29 PM »
Here are the politicians who authored the bill

Senators
Patrick J. Leahy
Arlen Specter
Evan Bayh
George V. Voinovich
Dianne Feinstein
John Cornyn

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:38:18 PM »
I need to get an IRC program or figure out how to get to those chats so that um... nevermind. I wish this wasn't an issue at all. They're really invading people's privacy with this.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:39:53 PM »
I need to get an IRC program or figure out how to get to those chats so that um... nevermind. I wish this wasn't an issue at all. They're really invading people's privacy with this.

Well I'm considering just getting a server in Panama or Signapore where US has no jurisdiction, this is just getting rediculous. I see at least 2 Jews who backed the bill as well, disgusting.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 03:41:19 PM »
Well I'm considering just getting a server in Panama or Signapore where US has no jurisdiction, this is just getting rediculous. I see at least 2 Jews who backed the bill as well, disgusting.

The RIAA and MPAA staff should go take a swim in Galveston right now.

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 04:18:05 PM »
Here are the politicians who authored the bill

Senators
Patrick J. Leahy
Arlen Specter
Evan Bayh
George V. Voinovich
Dianne Feinstein
John Cornyn

Bayh  >:(
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »
These people need to be taken to the back alley.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »
WhiteIsraelite,

Do you think a landlord has a responsibility to make sure he is not renting to a crack dealer? I see these laws as similar to the laws which require a home owner to remove any crack dealers from the property, or suffer monetary damages in court. When one of my tenents ran into a problem with the law, they sent me a threatening letter telling me to get rid of the tenent.

muman613

PS: The OWNER of the server IS ultimately responsible for what is on it.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 05:45:51 PM »
WhiteIsraelite,

Do you think a landlord has a responsibility to make sure he is not renting to a crack dealer? I see these laws as similar to the laws which require a home owner to remove any crack dealers from the property, or suffer monetary damages in court. When one of my tenents ran into a problem with the law, they sent me a threatening letter telling me to get rid of the tenent.

muman613

PS: The OWNER of the server IS ultimately responsible for what is on it.

You can't just go in a persons apartment and search their belongings.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 05:46:59 PM »
You can't just go in a persons apartment and search their belongings.

Yes you can :P

Offline Zionistforever

• Senior JTFer
  • long live zionism, Eretz Tzion Yerushalaim
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 05:57:25 PM »
sadly its true  :nono:
Eretz Tzion Yerushalaim. Hashem bless Israel. http://www.falange1.com/death2islam.gif

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 08:27:04 PM »
It seems most of the senators supporting this are liberal.  They probably had a number of their financial supporters in Hollywood push this forward. If the movie and record business lose massive money, they can't afford to contribute to these politicians' campaigns. 

Liberals turn to conservatives when their money flow is in jeopardy.

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 08:39:17 PM »

Yes you can :P

So.... I guess, we'll see you in about 3-5?! :::D

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 08:41:29 PM »
So.... I guess, we'll see you in about 3-5?! :::D